• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Prototype vs. “prototype”

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
A couple of years ago Nordica started with the prototype Enforcers. When I first saw one I thought it was cool, some lucky guy gets to ski around on a prototype ski and provide feedback that will eventually make it into a production ski! Imagine my surprise when just a few days later, I see production Enforcers en masse. Clearly it’s just marketing, now we see it more and more and keep pretending it’s real.

This is what a real prototype looks like. some day 4frnt may make this ski... or not.

BF44C40C-0B95-4F9B-BE9C-7C7CA73CC4A5.jpeg
5EAAD7FD-CCAA-4032-AE7A-61FE3E363E33.jpeg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, this is clearly been a marketing ploy from many brands and even mocked by others who went as far as calling their early run a Bro-totype that the bro's got the ski do ski. These are nothing more than seed skis and there to create conversation amongst influencers. You are right, what you have pictured is probably an actual prototype, a test mule as auto manufactures would call it. In the past most of the testing I have done was late stage evaluations when they were working on flexes. In most instances they looked like production skis. Currently we are working with a brand with some actual prototypes that look just like the skis off of rack graphic wise but are different flexes.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen more K2 Mindbender "prototypes" on the hill than some manufacturers' current lineups. And it does get the buzz going, no doubt.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
At Vielhaber Skis (Scotland!) in the 70s, we just put a plain white sticky backed plastic top sheet covering on the test/protypes, sometimes with "Test" scrawled in Black sharpie....:)

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Yes, this is clearly been a marketing ploy from many brands and even mocked by others who went as far as calling their early run a Bro-totype that the bro's got the ski to ski.

LOL, never heard that before.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
A couple of years ago Nordica started with the prototype Enforcers. When I first saw one I thought it was cool, some lucky guy gets to ski around on a prototype ski and provide feedback that will eventually make it into a production ski! Imagine my surprise when just a few days later, I see production Enforcers en masse. Clearly it’s just marketing, now we see it more and more and keep pretending it’s real.

This is what a real prototype looks like. some day 4frnt may make this ski... or not.

View attachment 63108 View attachment 63110
I remember seeing the prototype of the Solomon BBR at Snowmass around like 2009. It looked like that, clear resin over wood. Except it had the now distinctive and extinct, lawn dart shape.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's only January, but "brototype" is an early contender for word of the year. Hilarious!

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know if it's ok for me to say, but I'm skiing on a prototype for a prototype right now.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Back in the mid-90's, my brother had a pair of prototype K2's that were just plain-Jane wood with resin tops. He worked at a shop in Boise. We futzed around at a big vendor show at Solitude that winter, and got to ride snow-blades for the first time.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Better trademark "Brototype" before someone at TGR claims they invented it.

Just like whoever first said Stockli's are "infused with baby seal skin" -> brilliant description !

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink