• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Protection strips for SL skis - where to get them these days?

mayski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am talking about the rubber/neoprene dampening protecting strips that one glues to the tops of slalom skis, to prevent damage from gates hitting them on the top surface. That could ruin and delaminate skis very quickly.

They used to sell them here and there online in the not-so-distant past, but I can not find them anymore. Does anyone sell them still?

I suppose I can go to McMaster-Carr and get something like that from there, but ... I am not sure exactly which of the many options there best fits this purpose.

Thanks!

PS: I think that maybe Atomic SL skis now might come with such strips, but I don't have Atomics.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ask your friendly bootfitter. That is the same kind of foam that they use to take up volume in boots. And it comes with adhesive.

James

Out There
Instructor
Atomic has some special material they call dampening strips.
You could call a place like Race Place to see what they have.

Joel R

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have used silicone caulk from home depot / lowes with good success in the past. Just lay a strip down either side of the top of the ski where you want impact absorption. Can scrap it off with a razor blade if you don't like it.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic has some special material they call dampening strips.
You could call a place like Race Place to see what they have.

Too funny! If you follow that link and look at the picture you can zoom in and very clearly see the Marker binding and plate on Hirscher's ski!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
What is more funny then Marker bindings is that someone would actually be ready to pay £45.00 (almost $60) for 4 stripes of foam, which costs less then 10 cents, and can be DIY even if you have 2 left hands and never did anything on your own :D I know this is special dampening. shock absorption foam, developed by NASA in space especially for Atomic, so it's not really just foam, but way more then that :ogbiggrin:

James

Out There
Instructor
What is more funny then Marker bindings is that someone would actually be ready to pay £45.00 (almost $60) for 4 stripes of foam, which costs less then 10 cents,
But it’s Atomic red...Surely that’s worth $59.90.
Are those boots Langes cast in Atomic red?

But wait, there’s more. The strips are more plastic like.
I’ve never seen anyone use so much superglue. It would be hard to breathe.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I know this is special dampening. shock absorption foam, developed by NASA in space especially for Atomic, so it's not really just foam, but way more then that :ogbiggrin:

FWIW, 3M 2552 is cheaper per unit area than the Atomic product.

James

Out There
Instructor
FWIW, 3M 2552 is cheaper per unit area than the Atomic product.

It’s $172 per 2in x 36yd roll!
It does do a lot, but you’ve got to use like 3-4 deep.