• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Props to us from SIA (Snowsports Industry of America) for our article on their Binding Workshop

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Nick Sargent, SIA's President and member here opened the doors to their new offices to us when we drove through Utah back in September, "Class Trip to SIA Headquarters". This visit led to an opportunity to attand and cover their Ski & Snowboard Mechanic's Workshop this past month. SIA just shared our article in their blog, Phil Pugliese from Pugski.com attends workshop. Even less than a year old, getting recognized by SIA is a pretty big feather in our cap. Here is a link to the article on our news page: HERE. Another props needs to go to @DoryBreaux for shooting and producing the video.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Having SIA oversee the training really makes sense if only to have all manufacturers consolidated into one course. I think it's time that some standards are established. I was surprised that there only seemed to be 15-20 people in that course. I should cause anyone getting bindings mounted at an unfamiliar shop to pause.

. Good job.☃️❄️

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Having SIA oversee the training really makes sense if only to have all manufacturers consolidated into one course. I think it's time that some standards are established. I was surprised that there only seemed to be 15-20 people in that course. I should cause anyone getting bindings mounted at an unfamiliar shop to pause.

. Good job.☃️❄️
No, there was about 40 there. I did ask about other venues and what the attendance was like, and some were sold out with closer to 100 techs. This course was not just about turning screws but what to look for in gear like condition and incomptability along with proper procedures to protect the shop and also the skier. I am not saying that there are times when a salesperson is trying to sell something but when you go into a better specialty shop, if there is a suggestion that something should be replaced, ask them to substantiate why, chances there usually is a valid reason.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
That's good to hear! Seems to me that some level of certification wouldn't be such a bad thing in the industry.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's good to hear! Seems to me that some level of certification wouldn't be such a bad thing in the industry.
We need some consistancies in this area. It would be nice of there was ONE adjustment table instead of each manufacturer requiring theirs to be used. Going back to the WTR/GripWalk/SoleID...put the petty differences and royalty concerns aside. If you want this to work and be successful, choose a name, run with it and don't put the consumer and the retailer in the middle.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
The consumer needs to be considered first. To your point, it seems there are too many variables that could jeopardize consumer safety in the name of product differentiation. How many shops are properly training and certifying that even during peak season times, only qualified techs are setting up gear?.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The consumer needs to be considered first. To your point, it seems there are too many variables that could jeopardize consumer safety in the name of product differentiation. How many shops are properly training and certifying that even during peak season times, only qualified techs are setting up gear?.
It is very important for the Tech be certified, I am not minimizing their position but so many of the problems that are faced could be eliminated before the gear even hits the technician's bench. Whoever is checking in the gear could eliminate 90% of the problems and save well over the tuition fee in time of jsut running back and forth to either gather missing information or compatibility issues. I think a perfect shop would have a service center where the skier brings the gear right to a service writer, a la a car dealerships where a qualified technician can evaluate everything from mounting to the tune and even any damage like delamination or a bent ski. I forget where we were but we were talking about the one tool in a shop that no one is allowed to touch, it is protected behind a 3" thick piece of plexiglass with its own alarm system with a code that no one knows because the person who set it quit 6 seasons ago..and that in the cue the harpsichord...True Bar. :roflmao:

Reactions: Ron
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just leave an opening to slide the beer through to the techs. :beercheer:
Actually, beer is sooo 2005. There are a good amount of shop employees who just don't drink. Most techs would prefer cookies or cupcakes...they don't have money to eat..beer can be found easily. Gift cards are awesome, be it from a coffee place or even better a grocery store.

Sponsor

Staff online