• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Proposed New Ski Development: Alder Creek Divide

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stumbled across this proposed ski area... looks like someone's actively trying to turn this into a reality (https://www.facebook.com/alderdivide/), but there's not much info out there online, and no active project with the Forest Service. Looks like the site was previously evaluated back in the 1980s.

Seems like it could be a pretty cool ski hill, but the 14 lifts shown in that Facebook picture seem like a total pipe dream. This ad claims it's "near Mt. Shasta and Sacramento," but 4+ hours from SMF doesn't seem like it's near enough. 2+ hours to airports in Medford or Redding. Without some MAJOR infrastructure investment, it doesn't seem like it's going to be able to attract many destination skiers. The higher elevation, northern exposure, and bigger vertical might give it some competitive advantage compared to Mt. Ashland & Mt. Shasta Skibowl, but is there enough population in the area to support even a small new ski area? Anyone have thoughts or more info?

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Interesting.
On a kind of similar topic I have often wondered if there is an new ski development planned for the area around where Mammoth is. There seems to be plenty of demand from those that live in LA and the area gets plenty of snow and has good elevation.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I stumbled across this proposed ski area... looks like someone's actively trying to turn this into a reality (https://www.facebook.com/alderdivide/), but there's not much info out there online, and no active project with the Forest Service. Looks like the site was previously evaluated back in the 1980s.

Seems like it could be a pretty cool ski hill, but the 14 lifts shown in that Facebook picture seem like a total pipe dream. This ad claims it's "near Mt. Shasta and Sacramento," but 4+ hours from SMF doesn't seem like it's near enough. 2+ hours to airports in Medford or Redding. Without some MAJOR infrastructure investment, it doesn't seem like it's going to be able to attract many destination skiers. The higher elevation, northern exposure, and bigger vertical might give it some competitive advantage compared to Mt. Ashland & Mt. Shasta Skibowl, but is there enough population in the area to support even a small new ski area? Anyone have thoughts or more info?
This is interesting. My old housemate from SFbis a realtor im My Shasta. I'll ask him.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
A little more info here: http://aldercreekdivide.thryv.com/

The plan is to use West Haight Mountain and it would be primarily northern exposure. One thing they point out is (relatively) nearby Mt. Asland typically needs 48"+ of snow to start-up ops, but West Haight would only need 24".

TS
N

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier

The plan is to use West Haight Mountain and it would be primarily northern exposure. One thing they point out is (relatively) nearby Mt. Asland typically needs 48"+ of snow to start-up ops, but West Haight would only need 24".

Good find! A longer season/better snow reliability would certainly help it succeed.

Interesting.
On a kind of similar topic I have often wondered if there is an new ski development planned for the area around where Mammoth is. There seems to be plenty of demand from those that live in LA and the area gets plenty of snow and has good elevation.

June Mountain's pretty close to Mammoth, and it's been demonstrating for decades that few people want to ski a smaller alternative to Mammoth. If I remember correctly, the Forest Service approved the Sherwin ski area on the outskirts of Mammoth years ago, but no one ever put up the money to actually build it. Who knows whether it could get the needed approvals now.
1453795300.jpg

Dick Cowardin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Alder Creek Divide on West Height Mt. in Eastern Siskiyou County California. There has been four different analysis on this project most,of which is positive. The analysis from the Shast/Trinity Nation Forest is a must Read,
Shasta/Trinity Nationl Forest (N.F.) Mt. Shasta Ski AreaCascade World Four Season.

We need investors to move forward. This would help for us to apply for grants.

Number one grant is for wells to make sure there is enoughtwater to support the project.