• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Proportionately sized skis

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is something I notice that not enough manufacturers do, produce the same ski experience for all sized skiers. Wh don't more manufacturers do it? It is expensive, more expensive molds, more time involved and more R&D. It is easier with a ski that has 138/98/118mm dimensions to keep those numbers the same and just adjust for three or four lengths. But think about the effort that another manufacturer puts in when they have 4 length skis that go from a tip range of 133-139mm, a waist that ranges from 97-102mm and a tail from 115-120mm. By doing this a smaller skier will have the same experience as an average sized one along with the big guy.

When looking at skis, this is something that little and big guys should consider, especially after reading reviews by skiers that usually ski the middle or reference size. Here are some manufacturers that go this extra but important extra step, Atomic, Armada, Head, Nordic. and Scott. Now not all models from all of these manufactures are this way so take a look at each option individually.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yeah this is a good point Phil. I find myself sometimes caught in between the longest offering and the next size down. Usually though I found the shorter ski works best for me as my speeds are moderate and I prefer tighter turns. Weight and aggressiveness should help sway your choice over using your height as the major player.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I sure experienced that exact problem at SIA with my size demographic. I wasn't the female of this size trying to test skis.

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
Add ON3P to your list of manufacturers that do this. My 184cm Billy Goat does not have the same dimensions as the the other sizes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
This was a factor when I was trying to choose a length for the Volkl One. The turning radius was very different between sizes. Then again, that shouldn't matter for a powder ski, should it?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was a factor when I was trying to choose a length for the Volkl One. The turning radius was very different between sizes. Then again, that shouldn't matter for a powder ski, should it?
Honestly, I think it matters for every ski.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Unfortunately this doesn't usually find it's way into longitudinal stiffness. Ever flex a 166 Soul 7? It's a plank compared to the 188.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Because shorter skiers generate more? I don't buy it. I think they just screwed up.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@markojp, I am not sure they screwed up but I think the engineers either were lazy or it wasn't in the budget to allow them from making every product the same.. While this is a problem with adult skis, and it is usually at the end of the sizing curve it is an epidemic in junior skis, I mention it here: Elan U-Flex, and why's it's important. The third part of the problem is system binding. most systems bindings are designed to accommodate a rage of boot soles, that range is from 260mm to 360mm, doing some quick math and knowing that there is usually 10mm between boot shell sizes, that is 10 shell sizes so these bindings will adjust from a 22.0 shell (or 21 with manufactures that actually offer one) to a 32.0 shell. It makes sense that there should be some adjustability. Now this has minimal effect on the vast majority of the skis but how many size 32 shells are on skis 155cm or shorter? None. But think about the affect that plate has on a shorter ski in weight but also allowing the ski to flex? Now, not all plates are created equal, some are better and have less affect and some just stop the ski from bending.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
System bindings and ramp angle... Small boot, big ramp, stiff plate? Sound familiar?

The stiff short skis... Not a sin of commission, just simple lazy omission I'd guess as well. I've never sold a kids ski that I haven't bent first to check. "Trust, but verify."

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Head Titans have different widths at each length of ski. Stoklis are generally the same. Both produce different radii at each length.

Which is more proportional?

How could designers make different length skis fully proportional?