• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pro skier Dave Treadway dies in 100 ft crevasse

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Professional freeskier Dave Treadway died yesterday after falling into a crevasse while backcountry skiing in Pemberton, BC
Check out this story from @Freeride, about Dave from 5 years ago.

sometrader

Booting up
Skier
I skied with Dave for a few days once at Great Canadian Heli-Skiing. His skills as a skier were incredible, flawless in any condition. Being a pro, that is to be expected I guess. But it was his warm and welcoming personality, happy and welcoming everyone to chat with him, that really made an impression on me. Since then, I have followed his family on instagram (https://www.instagram.com/freerange.family/?hl=en) as he documented his two sons growing up. Really remarkable to watch Kasper Treadway absolutely rip as a 5 year old (from stumbling with skis to hucking small cliffs and doing gap jumps on a mini snowmobile). If you have children of your own, it would be difficult not to be hearbroken for the Treadway family. Their adventures inspired me to be more active with my own son. I can't imagine what is going through Kasper's mind now and how his life is going to change.

There has been an outpouring of grief from the ski community, particularly in BC. Powder Magazine just published a great eulogy: https://www.powder.com/stories/news/pro-skier-dave-treadway-dies/

There is a GoFundMe set up for Tessa, Kasper, Raffi, and his unborn son (due in July). I urge everyone to try to give, even if just a few dollars. The Treadways lived on very little, an unorthodox lifestyle.. may Tessa have the strength that will be needed to pull through this. Every bit will help: https://ca.gofundme.com/support-for-the-treadway-family

Some of the memories of Dave from that GoFundMe page below, seems like he touched people wherever he went:

"I had the pleasure of meeting Dave a number of years ago at Red Mountain, BC. We were both camping in the parking lot. The temps were very cold and my van didn't have heat. Dave invited me over for hot chocolate in his trailer and we sat and talked about Jesus, life, and skiing. For just the short meeting we had, he left a mark on my life that I carry with me still to this day. Thanks Dave for the hot chocolate and the warm camper!"

"I am working at the Adara Hotel Whistler. Dave and his family stayed with us in march. By his skis model and cool attitude i was sure he was a pro-skier. I googled him and found video of him and family. I remember having a chat with him about ski equipment. After that he sat with his son in the coach in the lobby and watched « uncle Dan » dropping cliff on his snowmobile on our TV. He was saying to his son « look he’s gonna send it ». RIP Dave. My condolences to his wife, the kids, family and friends. I was just the guy at the front desk but he took 30 minutes to answer my questions. Not everyone does that. Thank you."

"Me, my son Zach and daughter Gabi met Tess, Kasper and Raffi two years ago at Whitewater. We felt a bond with them even though we only shared a lunch table for a half hour. We met Tess again this year at Kicking Horse along with her dad, Dave, Raffi and Kasper. What a beautiful family! We are so sorry about Dave's tragic death. Words can't replace his smile and love for life. We all hope that his personality will be seen forever in Kasper and Raffi while the baby to be will be healthy and another connection for Tess to remember Dave by. May Tess continue to be the spillar of strength and love she is."

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January