• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pro Patroller age?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The average age of pro patrollers at my local bump is bi modal.

We have the 20 somethings, (or less with the high school drop outs as outliers), often rookies, sometimes they come back a second or third year for additional abuse ;-)

And then there is the seasoned core of 50+ , some have over 30 years on patrol. All have "real jobs" in the off season.

"Too proud to beg, too lazy to work"

It's too bad there is no future in the occupation.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
The average age of pro patrollers at my local bump is bi modal.

We have the 20 somethings, (or less with the high school drop outs as outliers), often rookies, sometimes they come back a second or third year for additional abuse ;-)

And then there is the seasoned core of 50+ , some have over 30 years on patrol. All have "real jobs" in the off season.

"Too proud to beg, too lazy to work"

It's too bad there is no future in the occupation.
Being ex pro patrol I agree. No money, no security, having to ski crap. Much better to buy a seasons pass as my wife and I do. I ski when I want. My ego does not require that I patrol so I do not.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty much the same here. I think about it a lot, but it boils down to low pay, no benefits, seasonal work. Off-season trail crew work (if any) tends to go to the veterans, and the younger folks that fight fire or commercial fish or work construction make so much more doing that that they often end up buying a pass. For a job that requires professional skills, patrolling sure doesn’t pay off.

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I'm not complaining!

I would never want to move back to the other side of the ticket window. ;-)

Being up top first thing in the morning and last as the day ends is priceless.
I thoroughly enjoy being "out there" in all weather and all conditions. And then there is helping others when they really need help.

It's not ego, It IS APPRECIATION.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it's a valid complaint that a paid patroller has enormous difficulty making even a lower middle-class living (house, family), given their responsibilities and the values they add like medical response, rescues, avy mitigation, general customer safety, ambassador-ship, etc.

I know, I know, they're not the only ones with pay issues, they can get a different job, the world doesn't owe them a living, etc...

TS
CalG

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I think it's a valid complaint that a paid patroller has enormous difficulty making even a lower middle-class living (house, family), given their responsibilities and the values they add like medical response, rescues, avy mitigation, general customer safety, ambassador-ship, etc.

I know, I know, they're not the only ones with pay issues, they can get a different job, the world doesn't owe them a living, etc...

Agree entirely.
Hence the bimodal distribution.

A "normal life" is not possible on what a patroller makes.
I wonder how long my son will be "living the dream"? He is capable, accomplished and ambitious. Not really patrol material ;-)

eta. I'm not trying to justify anything, my working career is behind me. (Optical thin films)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
this is also why I have so much respect for Patrol. Not like I would have no respect for Patrol if you guys got paid properly, but there is an extra when people risk themselves, and brave the elements out of love.

As a tax payer, what I would love to see more of my contribution go into things like education and health. The latter includes ski patrol duties. Sure, one could argue that the ski resorts/areas should fully fund it, but I would be supportive of a system where ski patrollers are primarily hired by the government to do forest service work through the year, so they have a service to provide year around and a dignifying source of income, but they can also be "shared" with ski areas during ski season. With the resort perhaps making a contribution to the forest service through a special tax, etc.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not complaining!

I thoroughly enjoy being "out there" in all weather and all conditions. And then there is helping others when they really need help.

I did all of that in Europe and in Colorado. Knowing what it is all about I go out of my way to thank them when I see them working on the mountain. Please do not take my comment about ego out of context. Nothing negative intended.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not complaining!

For many patrollers it can be about ego. I could not care less in regards to myself. My point is that they are overworked and under appreciated for the level of dedication and commitment that the job requires. I did my time and am glad that I did but I choose not to now.

Last edited:

Sponsor