• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Professional Golf Pro Golf Majors 2018

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Some guys are just built for the US Open:)

53, can I digress to pick your brain? I watched the 2018 US Women's Open two weeks ago when Ariya Jutanugarn (Thailand) beat Hyo-Joo Kim (S. Korea) in a playoff. It was the first ladies pro tourney I'd watched in a while, but each time I do I am amazed at the dominance of Asian women, particularly the South Koreans. What has been driving this for the last decade or more?!? Do they have some kind of junior training system somewhere out in the Pacific Rim that is generating these great young lady golfers? Is it genetics? I just looked at the current LPGA rankings of top 100 players. 38 are Korean, 19 are other Asians, then a number of Asian descent playing for US, England, etc. That's around 60% of the top 100 from about five countries (Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, China). This begs the second question, are we going to see something similar with Asian men in the future?

Sincerely don't mean anything racist with these questions, just fascinated by this sort of giant competitive trend you see in various sports over time.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Archery is the same. Koreans dominate archery, especially the women. They have world class coaching (USAA hired Kisik Lee from Korea to head their coaching program) and they develop the archers from a very young age. I imagine they do the same with golf.

Some guys are just built for the US Open:)

53, can I digress to pick your brain? I watched the 2018 US Women's Open two weeks ago when Ariya Jutanugarn (Thailand) beat Hyo-Joo Kim (S. Korea) in a playoff. It was the first ladies pro tourney I'd watched in a while, but each time I do I am amazed at the dominance of Asian women, particularly the South Koreans. What has been driving this for the last decade or more?!? Do they have some kind of junior training system somewhere out in the Pacific Rim that is generating these great young lady golfers? Is it genetics? I just looked at the current LPGA rankings of top 100 players. 38 are Korean, 19 are other Asians, then a number of Asian descent playing for US, England, etc. That's around 60% of the top 100 from about five countries (Korea, Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, China). This begs the second question, are we going to see something similar with Asian men in the future?

Sincerely don't mean anything racist with these questions, just fascinated by this sort of giant competitive trend you see in various sports over time.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Truth be told, the the level of arrogance among the above organizations is off the charts, point of reference, they make the USST seem like they are on the ball and have an EXCELLENT grasp of what it takes to develop WC ski champions.

Absolutely agree. There are very few people that ooze the arrogance of Mike Davis. He has ruined the US Open. The Chamber's Bay fiasco was entirely his doing, from deciding to have it there to course setup to never admitting they screwed up. Add dumping NBC and getting Fox to the mix and you have a tournament that I really don't even want to watch anymore.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
So now that Phil has had a chance to defend his actions, still think he was being childish?

"“If somebody is offended by that, I apologize to them, but toughen up,” Mickelson said after he wrapped up his third-round 81 that took him to 17-over for the tournament, 14 shots behind the leaders. “This is not meant that way. It’s just simply that I wanted to get on to the next hole and I didn’t see that happening at the time. I’ll gladly take my two strokes and move on.” Mickelson said this was the first time he had done this in a tournament, but not the first time he wanted to.

Watching the clip, I didn't see an incredibly frustrated golfer. I saw it as a fairly well calculated gamble that he's been waiting to try.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@SpikeDog

IF “it was a fairly well calculated gamble” as you state, then he should have calculated a bit more and let the ball finish rolling, declare it UNPLAYABLE and take a 1 stroke penalty rather than a 2 stroke penalty and replace it at the location of the previously played shot.

Phil was NOT thinking clearly, the ONLY thing CLEAR was his momentary loss of control and out of frustration hit a moving ball.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@SpikeDog

IF “it was a fairly well calculated gamble” as you state, then he should have calculated a bit more and let the ball finish rolling, declare it UNPLAYABLE and take a 1 stroke penalty rather than a 2 stroke penalty and replace it at the location of the previously played shot.

Phil was NOT thinking clearly, the ONLY thing CLEAR was his momentary loss of control and out of frustration hit a moving ball.

Unless he thought that putt was so difficult that he was better off with the 2-stroke, than replaying the shot. (I don't think he was, but, you know, hypothetically.)

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I feel that much of this could have been avoided if there had been 2 or 3 better pin placements on Saturday. @Started at 53, is the decision on where to cut the cups made by one person? Hard to believe that somebody did not see the possibility of it turning ugly. Events have been staged here before, how do these pin locations compare to past tournaments?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel that much of this could have been avoided if there had been 2 or 3 better pin placements on Saturday. @Started at 53, is the decision on where to cut the cups made by one person? Hard to believe that somebody did not see the possibility of it turning ugly. Events have been staged here before, how do these pin locations compare to past tournaments?
Clearly the person/committee used poor judgement in a few of those hole locations. No one can really argue otherwise, and the USGA admitted this on Saturday evening
@Started at 53 were you at the event?

Phil
This was the first one I have missed since 1999. It was nice to be home relaxing and watching on TV.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, if you have an impossible putt to make and even a 3 putt is going to be a challenge, just move you ball and take a 2 stroke penalty and move to the next hole?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So, if you have an impossible putt to make and even a 3 putt is going to be a challenge, just move you ball and take a 2 stroke penalty and move to the next hole?
In golf..more than anywhere..rules are rules! Hey, if Tiger can get 5 frat boys to move a 500lb rock out of the way of his shot, is this so bad?!!? :huh::D

TS
Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Will the Tiger roar today in final round of British Open!?!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Seeing him "follow" his second shot on the par 5...he has what was missing from him game all year...confidence.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Top 10 would be huge for Tiger. Can't even comprehend what a win today for him would do to the game of golf.

Sponsor

Staff online