• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Private/Semi-private Instructor recommendations in Toronto area

owu23

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
First of all, happy to be part of this forum after a long time away from skiing.

I am looking for recommendations for a good ski instructor in the Toronto area. Could be private or semi private but in the past, i have not had much success in finding good instructors when just showing up at a ski hill and finding one that was available.

A bit about myself.
I have been away from skiing for the past 10 years. Prior to that, i would consider myself a good skier who could aggressively come down the Ontario Blacks with proper technique. Back when i was skiing often, I took a full day private lesson with an Canadian Olympian skier who had won a GS race, so i learnt the proper technique.

As i have rekindled my interest in skiing this year (new equipment etc) and having been to the local ski hill twice, i am finding alot of hesitation in my technique. I am feeling a bit anxious on blue runs as well and the reason for getting proper lessons in order to re-learn skiing 'the right way'.

I would welcome any inputs/suggestions

Thanks

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its too late to join for this year, but the North Toronto Ski club ( https://ntsc.ca ) has one of the highest rated ski schools. It is a bargain with 2 hour lessons offered every day they ski, Level 3 or 4 instructors for the most part. Also see High Park Ski Club.
Another alternative is the 'Just For Fun' group, smaller, with all Level 4 instructors, but relatively pricey. They have weekday programs at Blue Mountain. Also, 'My Ski Trip' is with Sandy Gardner, who also does weekday groups at Blue.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not coaching this year - going the ski bum route and do some racing myself!!

:daffy:

I heard good things about the 'just for fun' group.

Otherwise, there are quite a few options for "masters" training, if you're into higher performance. These tend to be good value and good coaching. You can skip the gates part too. I can message you some info if interested.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anik was one of the course conductors when I did my L2. She is great

TS
O

owu23

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks everyone for some great ideas. I will look into joining the ski club option next year; this year, i am interested primarily in lessons to sharpen up my skills before a Whistler trip in Feb.

Sponsor

Staff online