• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Pret Lyric X Women's Helmet

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reviewing a helmet is an interesting concept, mostly because to truly test a helmet, the reviewer would need to hit her head. Without going to that extent, I am going to tell you the features and comfort factors, hoping that I don't ever have to give you the full test of this helmet.

Pret has made advances in its helmet line that have amped up fashion, function, and technology. The Lyric X is based off the Lyric, but with MIPS, RECCO, Fidlock magnetic buckle closure, audio-ready, and X-Static. If any, or all, of these features are gibberish to you, let me explain how they have improved my experience.

The audio-ready earpads allow me to insert my Bluetooth audio drop-ins, making it easier for me to call the shop to find out if I can stay out on my ski break a little longer. The Fidlock magnetic buckle closure lets me strap my helmet on when I'm wearing my mittens. (This makes me very happy.) MIPS technology is something we've been talking about for a while, the multidirectional impact protection system that disburses the energy of an impact throughout the helmet in hopes of avoiding skull fracture. X-Static -- something we don't talk about as much but do use a lot when spring skiing -- is an antimicrobial treatment in the lining to ward off funk when your head sweats.

All in all, these features and technologies have made my experience wearing this helmet enjoyable, but mostly I love how the Lyric X integrates well with a variety of goggle brands and how it is extremely fashionable as well as functional.
Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 11.06.48 AM.png

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm up for a new helmet shortly - my Bern helmet is now ten years old. The Pret models are being carried by a store down in Thredbo, and they seem to fit better than most. I like their low profile shape. Keeps me from having that 'Super Mario' look that some helmets bring.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm up for a new helmet shortly - my Bern helmet is now ten years old. The Pret models are being carried by a store down in Thredbo, and they seem to fit better than most. I like their low profile shape. Keeps me from having that 'Super Mario' look that some helmets bring.
Make sure you look at the X models.
They have the Lyric and LyricX, as well as the Cynic and CynicX.
Worth the difference in price for sure.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since Pret has become the official helmet of our test team, I thought this was a good bump.
I know some of our testers are really enjoying their helmets.
@AmyPJ @DoryBreaux @Drahtguy Kevin....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm, I can see them when I'm logged in but they don't show up when I'm logged out. Let me check into it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely love my Cynic X helmet! It is the lightest, most comfortable helmet I've ever worn (I've had several.) It doesn't push my goggles down on my nose. I put it on and forget it's even there.

I'm completely sold on my Pret helmet and might have to get a few more colors! :D
16806749_10212424245387535_5040256118523581953_n.jpg

Ecimmortal

Getting off the lift
Skier
Even though this is a review for the womens. It has been helpful. Looking hard at Pret as they seem like they would be a good replacment for my beloved Bern.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wearing the men's Cynic X, and my new special friend is also wearing the same helmet. We both are REALLY happy with them. He has worn a POC in the past, and I've always worn Smith. The Pret is the only helmet I'll wear now. It's THAT much more comfortable and lightweight.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wearing the men's Cynic X, and my new special friend is also wearing the same helmet. We both are REALLY happy with them. He has worn a POC in the past, and I've always worn Smith. The Pret is the only helmet I'll wear now. It's THAT much more comfortable and lightweight.
You're wearing the mens? That's amazing, I'm wearing the womens.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Love my Cirque X. It fits perfectly over a beanie with the liner pulled out. Something that really caught my attention is the MIPS version fits IDENTICALLY to the non-MIPS. Also the goggle integration is incredible; it matches almost every goggle ever, the only exception being some stick out past the brim. They still match the contour.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any thoughts on how Pret fits compared to Giro or Smith? I tend to fit better in Giro vs. Smith, I think 'cause Giro runs a little more oval and Smith runs a little more round (I feel a bit of pressure front to back in Smith helmets).

I haven't been able to find one locally to try on, but contemplating ordering one from evo (easy return to store otherwise I wouldn't consider ordering a helmet I've never tried on).

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any thoughts on how Pret fits compared to Giro or Smith? I tend to fit better in Giro vs. Smith, I think 'cause Giro runs a little more oval and Smith runs a little more round (I feel a bit of pressure front to back in Smith helmets).

I haven't been able to find one locally to try on, but contemplating ordering one from evo (easy return to store otherwise I wouldn't consider ordering a helmet I've never tried on).
As in most models, it depend on the helmet model and overall shape of your head.
I find the Lyric fits well but the new helmet I got from Pret - The Luxe X, is a little more oval and still has the same features as the Lyric X, (MIPS, Fidlock closure, adjustable fit, as well as the adjustable venting)
You could try the Shaman X which is the male version of it.

38_214_original.png

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
As in most models, it depend on the helmet model and overall shape of your head.
I find the Lyric fits well but the new helmet I got from Pret - The Luxe X, is a little more oval and still has the same features as the Lyric X, (MIPS, Fidlock closure, adjustable fit, as well as the adjustable venting)
You could try the Shaman X which is the male version of it.

Awesome, thanks for the info!