• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2019_Packasport Logo.png

Packasport: The Strongest Case for Adventure

(Reno, NV): Packasport rooftop cargo carriers are back and better than ever! Now under new ownership, Packasport would like to reintroduce the strongest rooftop carrier to snow sports enthusiasts. Packasport is upping its game, offering more size options, and for 2019 it is proudly partnering with Pugski.com as its Official Cargo Carrier.

Packasport is offering its legendary cargo boxes in six sizes, including the flagship System 115, one of the largest roof carriers in the market. The U.S.-built Packasport cargo boxes are hand-crafted with high-performing fiberglass and marine-grade carpeting for extreme durability, low road noise, and extra protection for gear. All of the cargo carriers are made of marine-grade fiberglass to ensure unparalleled durability and reduce road noise. "Packasport is known as the most rugged cargo box on the market. We are making them even better with constant improvements" says CEO Franco Cefalo. All carriers can be custom-painted almost any color to match any vehicle.

About Packasport:
Packasport started in 1993 in the outdoorsy town of Bend, Oregon. Through the years of transitional ownership, for 2019 and forward Packasport has defined a clear direction and bills its products as “the most durable, highly engineered and attractive rooftop storage system on the market.”

About Pugski.com:
Pugski.com has become a leader in skiing news, information, and gear reviews in a very short time. Pugski reviews are unique and interactive, allowing consumers to discuss and debate gear with their testers. Pugski creates excitement like no other review site or skiing publication. As the online ski community continues to grow, Pugski.com has been at the forefront of content creation, information, and traffic generation. Since its launch in 2015, Pugski.com has enjoyed tens of millions of page views.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...For 2019 it is proudly partnering with Pugski.com as its Official Cargo Carrier.​
We are very excited for this^^^^.

Please welcome @Packasport to the Pugski family. If you have ever used a Packasport box, you know they are arguably the best boxes to on the market. Pugski will be sporting the System 115 on the S.S. Pugski to keep all of our demos safe and sound for travel. When the Packasport is not on the big rig, it will be on the Volkswagen Alltrack.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Interesting news. We have four Packasports in our family. I've posted here many a time that that are tremendous. Our oldest is close to 20 years old, and looks like new. Our go-to has always been the System 90, which holds a lot of skis. Have driven cross country with a full box, many a time! Our son has the original on the top of his Tacoma, and has since he bought it 11 years ago. Before that it was on his prior vehicles. Since he's on snow about 250 days a year, it gets a lot of use.

That 115 is going to be "substantial" on the Alltrack. Might need a 90 as well! Our Alltrack driver decided that even that was not her best option. Much to her dismay. He has had a 90 on her cars since she got her license and first car...13 years ago. Her new roof box is nice, but nowhere near as nice.

Maybe I'm crazy,
but when they first got their licenses and first cars they got four related "gifts": a ValentineOne radar detector, good floor mats, Nokian Hakka snows on winter rims......and a Packapsort. The Packasports are still going strong. And the radar detectors saved thousands of dollars in insurance premium by avoiding speeding tickets!

One of ours has been sprayed THREE times to match the paint on three cars.

Can't say enough about them. Tremendous products. Incredibly durable. And really nice and solid at "a decent" speed. Spare parts readily available.

Hope this crowd does see past their usual "thriftiness" to realize the real value of the product. I have zero vested interest...none.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome aboard @Packasport!
Looking forward to working with you.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hope this crowd does see past their usual "thriftiness" to realize the real value of the product. I have zero vested interest...none.
It is true that some of our readers are "thrifty" as you say, but there are also a larger percentage that value quality. There is little shortage of Kastle, Stockli, Renoun and other premium skis amongst our readership. Few can question that Packasport's carriers are some of the highest quality boxes offered anywhere and as we know quality does come with a cost, a cost worth spending.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well congrats!! Any pics of the products?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Welcome to the community and thanks for making my quality product in the USA.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nice looking product. Don’t get them over here in Y’rup AFAIK, but by the sound and look of it, very similar to Norwegian ’Packline’ which is also an outstanding product and the weapon of choice for most ’mountain commuters’ over here (race families) that needs to haul skis forth and back and neither have the time nor the energy to pamper their boxes.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We picked up our Packasport System 115 today.

IMG_0004.JPG

A box in a box.

IMG_6141.jpg

They pack and ship these very well.

IMG_0006.JPG

Mounted and roadworthy

NKiXl31kQ%6kRBbRqoI0oA.jpg

Nice plush carpeting.

goDg6yj9TwCHrFX+m+oeOQ.jpg

Open, says me.

U7h6WGlMSTGY8G10h+IWhA.jpg

"Official Rooftop Carrier"

@Packasport

James

Out There
Instructor
How is rear opening better on a hatchback?

Packasport needs to work on their website. Not much info there. Like answering the above basic question.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How is rear opening better on a hatchback?

Packasport needs to work on their website. Not much info there. Like answering the above basic question.
They are under new ownership, hence the reach out to us to help with creating product awarness, I am sure the website is on the to do list.

As far as the rear opening...I always questioned that too but I do find sliding the skis in from the back a little bit easier that putting in from one side..then going to the other.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've had a lot of days with a Packasport. On vehicles from a Suburban, to three Landcruisers, Volvo wagons, Audi avants, a Subie LGT, and Outback XT, an Allroad, BWW 328xi wagon, VW Passat wagon, and a Tacoma.

Yep, the box opens in the rear. And depending on the back of your vehicle's design, and the weather {dirt, snow, ice, etc.} it be a bit more of a chore to open and close. And it can be dirty. I have often carried a movers packing pad to cover the car and keep the is clothes clean. Once open, you can pretty easily work around the strut and load/unload from the side, depending on the car.

The rear opening and rock solid closure makes the box, based on our experience, exceptionally quiet. In a lot of wind, and driving pretty darn fast, it is noticeable. Very aerodynamic, Solid. I have driven over 1500 miles straight at up to about 90-95mph and not really noticed that it was on the roof.

I load the box from the rear on our current biggest vehicle, a Landcruiser. Stand on it's tailgate, with an extra strip of carpeting. The smallest car in the family is an Allroad with that big sweeping rear hatch. Tend to work from the side on that one.

I can't recall when I boughtt my first roof box. The original Yakima Rocket Box. 35 years ago? Since then we have had a lot of other boxes. My daughter has a brand new Thule Motion XT on her Alltrack. It fits the car well, and it's easier for her to open on the side at 5'3". She does not drive with more than 3-4 pairs of skis, and she often is only driving a few miles. It's a good solution. She sold her Packasport to her brother, who now has two.

I have left another brand in a dumpster at a truck stop off I-70 on a cross country trip. I have had a roof box rip open, and be nearly torn off a car in a car wash. That stuff does not happen with these.

Another thing to consider is a step to use. My sister in law has one that fits into her trailer hitch on a GMC Yukon Denali, perfect accessory for the Packasport.

It's a small business that has just changed hands. I would assume that increased sales are critical, and that the support to generate them, like a more robust website, must be in the works.

Good luck to them.

Packasport

Packasport
Skier
Manufacturer
Hmmm. Which one works on, and lines up with the built in rack on my new 2020 Outback?

Oh, and the special discount code for Pugski members? Please :daffy:

Hello loyal Pugski.com forum folks.
We would like to offer you our Pro Form discount specifically for Pugski.com.
Please us this discount code for $100 off when purchasing your Packasport: pugski100
Enjoy your adventures!

Sponsor

Staff online