• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder how big a bite the new shift style bindings will take out of the frame market. I have friends who have bought frame bindings because their boots don't have pin inserts and they don't want to get new boots or get inserts put into their boots. To them, frames make perfect sense. Maybe after they walk up enough hills they may realize how heavy they are. They seem to be the binding for the casual uphill user.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Masaki,

Do you know the weight of the binding that goes on one ski (not the pair, just one toe and heel and brake)?? If you use them for skinning, the weight makes a big difference on how quickly you will tire out. I thought I heard them say 1300 grams, not shure if that was a pair or single.

I have skied the Citadel ski you bought. It is very light and stiffens up when you ski it fast. It was nice in that regard. The ski I was on was a prototype and had some issues. In general I think they are very good skis. They will work well for skinning and for resort skiing in soft snow.

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Scott,

Thank you for your impression of the Citadel.

About the B.A.M. Pinding,
Their website is still under construction, but it will be updated soon. I think I can answer about the Pindings when I got.

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
Scott and Doug,

I watched B.A.M binding website has been updated. They don't make the English version yet, it is written in German. Please use the translation function such as Google if necessary.

About binding,
Some metal parts turned blue, but they didn't seem to have made any major changes to the bindings. I haven't received the product yet, so I will upload photos of the binding when I got it. The weight is still 1390g, which is either one pair weight or single item weight?

B.A.M URL
http://bavarianalpinemanifest.com/produkt-3/

PS: An article about the RENOUN Citadel114 prototype appeared in Blister reviews. Is the PUGSKI testing it too?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I wonder how big a bite the new shift style bindings will take out of the frame market. I have friends who have bought frame bindings because their boots don't have pin inserts and they don't want to get new boots or get inserts put into their boots. To them, frames make perfect sense. Maybe after they walk up enough hills they may realize how heavy they are. They seem to be the binding for the casual uphill user.

The Frame Bindings are about half the price and are also simpler to use and do not require a boot with pin fittings just a walk mode so for a lot of users the frame bindings still make some sense.

Masaki Goto

Booting up
Skier
I am still a frame binding user. The pin binding is lighter than the others, but I think the shape of the boot edge will be new in the future, and at that time it may be a new standard that does not use pins. I'm looking forward to the evolution of ski gears.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I got to ski the Duke PT 16 today. IMHO build quality is sooo much better than the Shift. Function seems simpler - even a caveman like myself can do it. Feels rock-solid under foot - I mean it feels as strong as a Z17 race binding. Heel step in is noticeably better than old Jester/Duke, and having once broken a tibial plateau I do notice hard step in. I did not get to tour on it. Maybe I can try that soon since the rep is local. Uploading video of binding function now. Marker - take my money!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
that looks so simple... now what do I do with my shifts sitting here..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got to ski the Duke PT 16 today. IMHO build quality is sooo much better than the Shift. Function seems simpler - even a caveman like myself can do it. Feels rock-solid under foot - I mean it feels as strong as a Z17 race binding. Heel step in is noticeably better than old Jester/Duke, and having once broken a tibial plateau I do notice hard step in. I did not get to tour on it. Maybe I can try that soon since the rep is local. Uploading video of binding function now. Marker - take my money!
We played with it at the show and I agree with you on amlost every point. As far as being easy to use, something that we initially felt was a complicated as this binding initially appeared (or feared), I agree, this was very simple to switch and usually something like this takes a time or two to figure out, the first time was very easy. Now, that was in the warm convention center. Who will that be when it is on top of a mountain, 10*, wind blowing and the binding is caked with snow...oh, and cold hands? That remains to be seen but I think Marker accomplished what set out to do.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Who will that be when it is on top of a mountain, 10*, wind blowing and the binding is caked with snow...oh, and cold hands? That remains to be seen but I think Marker accomplished what set out to do.

I could do it with mittens on after a couple runs in a freezing rain having never done it before. Totally removing the toe eluded me because I was afraid to hurt "the only one we have", but once they showed me again, it was very simple too.