• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IKON PASS EXPANDS ITS GLOBAL PARTNERS WITH THE ADDITION OF NEW ZEALAND’S CORONET PEAK & THE REMARKABLES IN QUEENSTOWN, AND MT HUTT NEAR CHRISTCHURCH
IKON image.jpg
Pass Holders Can Access the 2019 Winter Season at Three Southern Hemisphere Destinations

DENVER, CO, November 14, 2018 – Ikon Pass, the new standard in season passes, announces Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, and Mt Hutt on New Zealand’s South Island as its newest partners, now offering access to nearly 82,000 acres at 38 premiermountain destinations across the planet. The Ikon Pass is available for purchase at www.ikonpass.com and through select travel partners.

Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt join Southern Hemisphere Ikon Pass partners Thredbo in Australia and Valle Nevado in Chile, offering pass holders year-round skiing and riding across the planet. Ikon Pass holders will have a combined seven-days at Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt on the Ikon Pass with no blackout dates, and combined five-day access on the Ikon Base Pass, also with no blackout dates. Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, and Mt Hutt’s 2019 winter season will run from June to September.

Coronet Peak and The Remarkables are located in Queenstown, the epicenter of adventure in the Southern Hemisphere. Take in iconic views over Queenstown and Lake Wakatipu from the top of The Remarkables. Mt Hutt, located 70 miles from Christchurch, has won New Zealand’s Best Ski Resort from 2015-2017 at The World Ski Awards.

“Queenstown is the Southern Hemisphere’s epicenter of adventure with all kinds of adrenaline-filled activities, including renowned skiing and riding at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables. The mountains’ terrain and vistas are only matched by Queenstown’s legendary nightlife. Award-winning Mt Hutt offers a big, friendly mountain with Kiwi hospitality. We look forward to Ikon Pass holders enjoying yet another incredible global destination,” said Erik Forsell, Chief Marketing Officer of Alterra Mountain Company.

Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt join a group of industry leaders that make up the Ikon Pass – Alterra Mountain Company, Aspen Skiing Company, Boyne Resorts, POWDR, Jackson Hole Mountain Resort, Alta Ski Area, Snowbird, SkiBig3, Revelstoke Mountain Resort, Sugarbush Resort, Taos Ski Valley, Thredbo, Niseko United and Valle Nevado. Each demonstrates integrity, character and independence that is reflected in their mountains and guests.

“The Ikon Pass provides incredible opportunity for year-round skiing and riding at the most iconic destinations on the planet. We’re stoked to bring Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt into the Ikon Pass community. It’s a vote of confidence in New Zealand’s commitment to deliver premium facilities and service, and provides a great opportunity for global skiers and riders to check a Southern Hemisphere winter visit off their bucket list,” said Paul Anderson, Chief Executive Officer, NZSki.

From a weeklong vacation to unlimited days, the Ikon Pass was built with the guest in mind, to provide the best experience possible. With 38 destinations in 12 states, four Canadian provinces, on four continents, the Ikon Pass is the gateway to a like-minded community, enduring memories, and the most iconic destinations on the planet.

The Ikon Pass is on sale at www.ikonpass.com.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Valle Nevado, Thredbo, Hutt, Coronet & the Remarkables, would that be a boat, train, plane or road trip?
Southern Hemi 1818.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Marty McSly, are you coming to the gathering at Big Sky?
If so, this pass will do you good here and there.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
The summer ski race training community is liking this Ikon lineup. NZ, Chile, Mammoth. Every bit of savings helps. All good.
I believe many, if not most Masters races in the US are being hosted by Alterra resorts this season. I already have 5 days at Mammoth on my $600 Ikon base pass. In the retail world I would say that it is paid for. So far, so good.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I believe many, if not most Masters races in the US are being hosted by Alterra resorts this season. I already have 5 days at Mammoth on my $600 Ikon base pass. In the retail world I would say that it is paid for. So far, so good.

Yes, for Far West Masters >80% of our races will be covered by the IKON Pass, and also the Masters FIS races at Aspen and Masters Nationals at Mammoth. Definitely helps control some of the costs!

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Days at Niseko are nice; would love to see that backed up by a Honshu destination, preferably one I'm not going to name here ;)

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I will be using the 19/20 Ikon (assuming it is still around and Mountain Collective is not) at Thredbo Australia and Queenstown New Zealand in southern hemisphere winter and Niseko Japan and a bunch of US resorts in the northern hemisphere winter. I reckon I'll get 25 days out of it.
Days at Niseko are nice; would love to see that backed up by a Honshu destination, preferably one I'm not going to name here ;)
You're obviously not talking about Hakuba as it's with Epic. I would prefer Shiga Kogen or Nozawa to be on Ikon instead of - or at least with - Niseko.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Certainly not Hakuba; it's a great region with excellent skiing but I've been very unlucky there, few good snow days out of many trips.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Welp, this is likely going to push me over the top to get an IKON pass next year as much as I bitch about the duopoly situation.

What I can't understand is how the hell Alterra can make any money with all the partner resorts they have on the IKON pass. I'm still expecting Snowbird/Alta to drop off IKON next season given Solitude addition, but Alterra keeps surprising me.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@peterm is there a likely target for Vail? (I don't know much about the resorts...) Treble Cone or Cardrona maybe?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@peterm is there a likely target for Vail? (I don't know much about the resorts...) Treble Cone or Cardrona maybe?
Could be interesting. TC is by far my favorite lift served in New Zealand. The resort doesn't really make much money. Would love to see some additional investment at that resort. Stratgically, not hugely confident of the fit for Vail though especially as there is no on mountain lodging. Perhaps I underestimate how big of a drawing card NZ would be for North American skiers if it is added to epic pass. And NZ is such a small population not sure it really does a lot for bringing people up to North America. So I am dubious.

Cardy is one of the more popular NZ resorts and would seemingly be the better fit for Vail than TC. But still, just skeptical how important it is too have a NZ ski presence given the small size of the market.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...skeptical how important it is too have a NZ ski presence given the small size of the market.

I'm skeptical too, except for the fact that Ikon added NZ resorts... which makes me think Vail might be interested too in this "keeping up with the Joneses" thing they've got going.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier

Yes, those two would be good candidates. Perhaps Cardrona would be a better fit. It'll become NZ's biggest resort once they add Soho Basin which is supposed to happen in 2-3 years. In the meantime I can recommend Soho for a day of easy cat skiing and a top quality lunch.

The other candidates would be Whakapapa and Turoa, as they're the closest to Auckland which is easily NZ's biggest city. Whakapapa is currently NZ's biggest resort, and they're adding a Gondola for next season. Great mountain, but gets very busy and the conditions are less reliable than the resorts down south.

Sponsor