• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
I've seen the Dahu boots in shops here in Europe for the past few seasons. That said, in hundreds of days in the mountains since seeing them in shops, I have NEVER seen a pair on anyone on the slopes. Although it's a pretty small relative sample size, I am not sure who is wearing these. We've even skied places like St. Moritz and Courchevel 1850, where I might expect to see them, I have not.

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
If you look closely at it, it looks like a Swiss Army Knife... complete with bottle opener, corkscrew and a spork. Oh and a toothpick. How did I miss that?!

James

Out There
Instructor
Forget the shell for a minute, what's the liner like?
Amazing, revolutionary, like nothing ever done! ?

When I demoed the Apex...
First, I lied about my size because, and I was warned about this, they insist on sizing you up for some odd reason. (Maybe the Boa issue?) It's already a taco in a burrito in a cage, now I shove a chalupa in there? So instead of a 27 I got a 26. Bsl was huge.
"Scotty!, can we handle it??"
- "I doon kno Cap'n she's nearly off da tracks!"
"Scotty, give me more track now dammit!"
-"Ookay Cap'n bhut it meeght brayk off! Dere's ohnnly soo muuch a biihndin can taake!"

Despite my worse fears, and bringing my regular boots, I skied all day in it. Ironically, it wasn't that comfortable. If tightened where I wanted. The buckle lines up with the plastic Boa cable holder of the liner, pressing down and causing instep pain. It did ok, but expectations were about as low as I could go. Like as a 13 year old we bought one of those ginzu knives advertiised on tv. Hey it cut through a cinder block and metal! Surely it'll cut through a parking meter pipe? Epic fail.

So, it worked better than a ginzu knife on a parking meter... The only disconcerting time was on a relatively steep pitch making a turn across the fall line. I committed, and... and... nothing's happening! Eventually I got them around before face planting down the slope, but I avoided those type of turns thereafter. In general, the toe lifts inside the skeleton. Well, it also moves side to side, but you really notice up down in the liftline. Taking them off you have a little pile under the front of the boot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
You first!

If it was done in carbon fiber would you try it? That shell would be easier to do in CF than the Apex, especially since you wouldn't need to provide extra room for the foot to go through the throat.

I think the Grilamid and the liner quality are the limiting factors here.

nomad_games

Booting up
Skier
reminds me, I saw a guy this weekend in Apex boots walking around the lodge with the frames on the boots. Um, aren't you missing the whole point of that boot?

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am so up for a new boot design with expert level performance. I have high arches and a wide 106mm last and ski a 130 flex boot. I am currently on the Atomic Live Fit 130 boots that say wide fit on them. I have to be a contortionist to get them on and off and actually split them both where they overlap. I purchased the Salomon X Pro 130 but have not skied them yet. I would love a high performance boot that fit me that is also easy to get in and out of. I would demo them in a heartbeat if I could. If they met my performance criteria and solved my comfort and entry/exit issues I would buy them immediately if I could get a decent (perhaps maybe even not decent) deal on them. It is sad to me that my existing wide fit boots that fit me well do not solve my on/off problems and get unavoidable boot damage.
I baked and skied the Salomon X Pro 130 and am very pleased with the performance. I really like that they are so easy on and off for me. Light boot that fits me well.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Amazing, revolutionary, like nothing ever done! ?

When I demoed the Apex...
First, I lied about my size because, and I was warned about this, they insist on sizing you up for some odd reason. (Maybe the Boa issue?) It's already a taco in a burrito in a cage, now I shove a chalupa in there? So instead of a 27 I got a 26. Bsl was huge.
"Scotty!, can we handle it??"
- "I doon kno Cap'n she's nearly off da tracks!"
"Scotty, give me more track now dammit!"
-"Ookay Cap'n bhut it meeght brayk off! Dere's ohnnly soo muuch a biihndin can taake!"

Despite my worse fears, and bringing my regular boots, I skied all day in it. Ironically, it wasn't that comfortable. If tightened where I wanted. The buckle lines up with the plastic Boa cable holder of the liner, pressing down and causing instep pain. It did ok, but expectations were about as low as I could go. Like as a 13 year old we bought one of those ginzu knives advertiised on tv. Hey it cut through a cinder block and metal! Surely it'll cut through a parking meter pipe? Epic fail.

So, it worked better than a ginzu knife on a parking meter... The only disconcerting time was on a relatively steep pitch making a turn across the fall line. I committed, and... and... nothing's happening! Eventually I got them around before face planting down the slope, but I avoided those type of turns thereafter. In general, the toe lifts inside the skeleton. Well, it also moves side to side, but you really notice up down in the liftline. Taking them off you have a little pile under the front of the boot.
Not far off from my experience..I will say I am told a lot has changed since then. Where the old frame was about a 20mm differences, most 26.5's are around 305mm, the Apex was over 325...the new one is within a 5-10mm of the traditional size.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
jS4ei4MrQVGQzIYq+R1xlA.jpg
J%6kwJJnQYyAdAlrnFIwxw.jpg
WylZzUsLTHCujGFIKFyKdQ.jpg

I tried on an eary production at the Outdoor Retailer Show. Unfortunately, they will not be a Copper to actually get them on snow.

Initial thought...
Inner Boot: These actually fit pretty well. The inner feels like a cross between a good winter boot and a quality work boot. The boot does have a ways to go though. I would like to see more of an anatomic shape in the liner. I asked how the sizing was, I said my feet measured about 265mm and but I ski in a 25.5, what should try on? He said a 26.5 but didn't have them but did have a 25.5 and it actually fit pretty good.

Chassis: Not the easiest thing to get the liner in and out of, it is snug even in the warmth of a convention center. I cannot imagine trying to get these boot in and out in outside winter condition especially if there is snow build up. Buckle system is pretty well designed and was easy to buckle. My guess is that you just get in the shell at the beginning of the day and out at the end and during the day while getting lunch or going to the rest room, you leave it in the chassis?

Together: These have a ton of ramp, they need to figure how to lower the heel some way. Flex is pretty good, IMHO, these should ski pretty well but I do see the need for some work. They are not there yet.

Sponsor