• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Former Burton Exec Set to Shake Up the Alpine Ski Boot Business

Clark Gundlach is heading up the launch of the Dahu Swiss Ski Boot,
the most revolutionary alpine ski boot to hit the market in decades.

Eagle, Colo., December 18, 2018 - Designed in Switzerland, the Dahu boot is a ground-breaking modular design that reimagines the ski boot. It consists of a Grilamid plastic shell featuring a series of strategic cutouts, a Corsair entry and a luxurious Italian-made inner lace-up Cambium boot liner that’s unlike any ski boot liner on the market.
a306fb1b-5e13-4586-84d9-715ea2bd8c1d.png

Starting in the late ’80s, industry veteran Clark Gundlach was an integral part of the ultimate disruptive product in the snowsports industry: snowboarding. Working alongside Jake Burton, Gundlach helped to not only develop the pioneering brand into an industry juggernaut, but also to usher the sport of snowboarding from rebellious upstart to wildly popular global winter sport.

After 22 years breaking ground at Burton, Gundlach has found another disruptive product that he’s excited to get behind: The Dahu Swiss Ski Boot, a cutting-edge product that promises to revolutionize the industry.

“It’s been a long time since we’ve seen true innovation in the ski boot business,” says Gundlach, who, as Dahu USA’s president, is teaming up with like-minded industry veterans on the project—including Maurizio Molin, renowned designer who also worked for two decades at Burton.

Exacting Control Meets Uncompromising Comfort.

Designed in Switzerland, the Dahu boot has a pivotal hinge design that totally changes the alpine ski boot. The Grilamid shell features carefully engineered cutouts eliminating pressure points and the Italian-made inner Cambium boot liner is designed for performance, warmth and comfort. The Dahu boot introduces a precisely engineered Corsair entry system, with hinges at the front and back of the boot. The skier has two options, either step into the insulated Cambium liner, lace it up, and then simply step into the shell or leave the liner in the boot and step in, as a single unit, like a conventional Alpine setup.

Either way, Dahu boots are supremely easy to get in and out of. This innovative boot will also let skiers step out of the shell and walk around comfortably in the liner boot alone, a distinct advantage over alpine boots.

“After thousands of days on the mountain, I know what an uncomfortable boot feels like. This product has the potential to revolutionize the ski boot business,” says Gundlach. “It’s an innovation that the industry deserves. I’m excited about that. A pain-free ski experience will bring joy to every vertical foot of your day.”

Tapping an Irreverent History

Gundlach recalls how Burton and other snowboarding companies challenged the establishment at the industry’s annual snow trade show. During those early years, every season was an evolution in every product, from boots to boards to bindings. “Both the design teams and the riders were continually innovating,” says Gundlach.

With Dahu, Gundlach is bringing that same excitement to the ski side of the business. “It’s time to disrupt ski hardgoods,” he says.

Possibly the perfect solution—finally. Find out for yourself.

The Cambium Boot
cdf52ca5-37b0-4056-bcd8-63a65444952b.png

S.gif

The Écorce 01 Boot
4b79b67d-9387-4d40-a39a-fed7ceda9212.png

6c7f3aec-c0e2-4f47-814e-03de7bf6220a.png

c68c53c9-1989-4c13-993d-5d68d04c57c0.png

About DAHU

2019 Dahu Swiss Boots lands in the US, with headquarter offices in Eagle, Colorado.
Designed in Switzerland, the DAHU Swiss boot is a ground-breaking modular design that reimagines the ski boot. To be sold in specialty ski and snow retail stores nationwide.

Dahu’s Swiss headquarters are nestled in the foothills above Lake Geneva, where they sit at the intersection of international culture and alpine geography. To reach the nearby ski resorts of Verbier, Chamonix, Saas Fe, and Crans-Montana, one first passes through the lakeside resort of Montreux, famous for its annual jazz festival. This interchange of music and culture, mountain and valley imbues the brand with a multi-dimensional appreciation for versatility.
Skidahu.com

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

We saw this at the SIA On snow at Copper in 2017. @1:55 in the video.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recall trying the boot on in the booth. the inner was closer to a really rigid workboot than a variation of a snowboard boot. I faintly recall the boot having a good amount of ramp inside. We never got a chance to get on snow with them. We already have an appointment set up with them at the tradeshow.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, interesting. Sort of. Apex meets cabrio.
Nothing revolutionary. Zero mention of anything to do with the human body and how it functions in a rigid boot.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Removing pieces of the shell would seem to be a successful way to make a boot lighter except Apex came up with a heavy clunky design. This boot looks to be light in weight but can it be a stiff enough flex for heavier skiers?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Who is it for? People who want to go skiing.

Who is it not for? Skiers.

Just figured i'd go ahead and put up the review for Philpug.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. ;)

“After thousands of days on the mountain, I know what an uncomfortable boot feels like. This product has the potential to revolutionize the ski boot business,” says Gundlach. “It’s an innovation that the industry deserves. I’m excited about that. A pain-free ski experience will bring joy to every vertical foot of your day.”

A well fit boot is not uncomfortable and painful.

James

Out There
Instructor
Wait... has @epic tuurned into @cannedtunamunch with existential literary references?

The Apex Boot is a taco in a burrito in an exoskeleton construction. (very hard taco if you must). It appears this new design eliminates the burrito, or combines the taco/burrito into a ..burrico. I think. As you'd never know the Apex contained a taco/burrito system till you tried it on.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Someday... Someone will revolutionize alpine skiing with a new boot design

That being said, my boots are very comfortable and warm... but I paid a lot to have them punched, aligned, custom insoles with heaters and Gara ZipFit liners

You get what you pay for

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm Gundlach might want to check his sat nav on how to get to Chamonix. I mean you can get there from Martigny but it's a long way round.

Self aggrandising claptrap. All this guy is doing is bringing a pre existing product that is hardly setting the world alight in Europe to the US. In fact word I've heard in Europe is that Apex is the better product.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I watched this woman on Sunday (looked like Melania's older cousin) in a ridiculous outfit walking around taking different selfies in front of the windows, she would put on her fighter pilot and take a picture with the visor up, then with it down, then take it off and do one with her het, one with hat and goggles, just goggles, etc. Luckily none of the selfies included her feet because she was wearing 3 size too big rental boots with the power straps dragging. I'm not sure if she ever skied, but I have a boot for her now!

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
...... the inner was closer to a really rigid workboot than a variation of a snowboard boot. I faintly recall the boot having a good amount of ramp inside.....

I would assume the inner be more rugged and provide warmth & protection to snow build up at the side and back of the boot. That said, I skied one day during winter break at my home mountain and saw a surprising number of rentals along with skiers struggling to get in and out of the boots. Its days like this where I wonder if more people would get into the sport if the boot was more comfortable along with ease to getting in and taking off.

I had a traditional 4 piece boot, getting in and out of those boots was the worst parts of the day. I switched over to a cabrio only because of the forward flex. The ease of getting in and out of the boot was just a side benefit but have grown to appreciative when I see someone struggle with their 4 piece setup.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I kind of wish the target market for these hybrid boots was the rental market. I don't see them ever being sufficient for skiers (I've never been known to have much of an imagination) but rental boots are so bad they can't be worse, and at least you could potentially have fewer skiers quit due to boot hell. But what do I know.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yep, someday around 1983 ....

I thought the book was 1984????

Kidding aside, Phil has mentioned that DPS is working on a new boot design, and I know of another guy working on a new boot design, so at least two are trying to come out with something better than we currently have. That being said, the only crappy part of my boots is getting them off, on is a non-issue as I heat them in a boot bag all night so they are somewhat soft when I put them on, not so much after skiing to take them off

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
That being said, the only crappy part of my boots is getting them off, on is a non-issue as I heat them in a boot bag all night so they are somewhat soft when I put them on, not so much after skiing to take them off

Not everyone new to the sport will this. In addition I saw a couple of mini handheld dryers being used in the morning, one by a dad who had to haul several kids around. I assume he had little time or money to buy a heated boot bag. So he just used the dryer and heated them so he can get in.

Sponsor

Staff online