• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
What are the chances they’d run a bus from Dillon or Silverthorne? As part of that CDot thing.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
IMHO, 5 or 7 days on the Ikon is a LOT different than unlimited Epic.

I think this is more of a TBD. In theory yes, but without understand how Epic passes were utilized at a more granular level, who knows. The vast majority of Epic pass skiers I know in the front range didn't spend more than 5 days at Abasin per year anyhow. They split their 10-15 days between it, Breck, Key and a few at BC/Vail.

Now that the Ikon is a more attractive pass to Front Rangers of various stripes (families who want Eldora, hardcore destination skiers who want Aspen/Jackson/Big Sky/Steamboat/SLC, people who want variety) -- I'm not willing to make any guesses about how traffic is actually impacted.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
What are the chances they’d run a bus from Dillon or Silverthorne? As part of that CDot thing.

Doubt the run local buses (mostly cause I'm not sure that CDOT owns any park n' rides around Dillon/Silverthorne), but I bet Abasin felt good committing to the subsidizing the direct bus from Denver to there in part because of this partnership.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I wonder if it’s locked in for 3 years like the other IKON mountains?

I know some people who bought AB AND IKON pass, with the calculation they’ll come out ahead with skiing as little as 10 days. Those people will be royally pissed now!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are lot more epic passes out there than Ikon. Probably about 3 or 4 to 1.

I know some people who bought AB AND IKON pass, with the calculation they’ll come out ahead with skiing as little as 10 days. Those people will be royally pissed now!

Life is like a box of chocolate...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
There are lot more epic passes out there than Ikon. Probably about 3 or 4 to 1.

While this is true globally -- I'd be very interested in the breakdown of Colorado. Especially after this year. Eldora, Winter Park, Copper, Abasin as day trips is far better for most Front Rangers than Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek. Both have 2 good destinations in the state for long weekends (CB/Telluride vs Steamboat/Aspen).

There's also a generational aspect at least in my social circles. People under 40 are far more likely to have an Ikon pass. People over 40 who have been skiing front range a long time (and likely have someplace to stay in the mtns) == Epic pass.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
People who already bought a-basin pass: suckers?:philgoat:
Why? I ski alot more than 7 days at the Basin. 23 last season. I'll get even more assuming this cuts back on crowds and Abasin would have the data to know whether it will or it won't so I take Al at his word that it will. They only need it to do so marginally as the skiing experience is fine. The parking is the problem. As an Abasin and Ikon passholder before this was announced I'm disappointed but that's just me being selfish. I would have bought an Abasin pass anyway since I can't survive with only 7 days....that's crazy talk. Most front rangers are epic pass holders. It's substantially more than 2 to 1 (IMHO) at least according to the folks in my office. Half the epic pass holders in my office don't even know what the Ikon pass is.....why would they it doesn't include Vail

James

Out There
Instructor
How is Abasin easier than Keystone? Or do you mean early /late season?
Eldora, Winter Park, Copper, Abasin as day trips is far better for most Front Rangers than Breck, Keystone, Vail, Beaver Creek. Both have 2 good destinations in the state for long weekends (CB/Telluride vs Steamboat/Aspen).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How is Abasin easier than Keystone? Or do you mean early /late season?

Except on storm days, Abasin avoids tunnel traffic which can be a huge plus. And you have Eldora if you can't stand the idea of I70 (not that problems up that way are that much less).

In general with an Ikon pass you get 4 resorts with 3 different traffic options (Copper == I70 w/ tunnel, Abasin == I70 no tunnel, WP == I70 off early, Eldora == no I70). With Epic you get 4 resorts with very similar traffic options (Keystone & Breck == I70 w/ tunnel, Vail/BC == I70 w/ tunnel & extra mountain pass.)

Ikon pass also has better storm track variety which people who ski a great deal care about.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are surprised This is a letter from Al back in April.
April 2019 All's blog
"VERY IMPORTANT SEASON PASS MESSAGE
Dear Arapahoe Basin Friends,

We are having a great Spring at The Basin with seven feet of snow in March and a good storm pattern forecast for April. The ski season has at least a couple of strong months to go.

Thanks to all of you that expressed your thoughts to us about leaving Vail. We are continuing to work closely with potential resort partners. Finalizing new partnerships is still going to take a few more months. While there is a lot we do not know, there are some things we do know.

The Arapahoe Basin Season Pass, currently on sale for $399, will be the only unlimited season pass product for A-Basin in the 2019-20 season. If you would like to ski 8 or more days at The Basin, this is the only pass that will offer that option. We are still looking at opportunities to join other resort programs, but none of those programs will include unlimited access at A-Basin.

The Arapahoe Basin Season Pass will be on sale for $399 through April 30, 2019. On May 1, 2019, the price goes up to $449. If you want an unlimited Arapahoe Basin season pass, this is your only option and this is absolutely the lowest price you will see.

Look Closely At Our Website for all the season pass options. There are some especially good products for kids. I hope you will seriously consider buying a pass with us. We have lots of exciting times in store for you at The Basin. Thanks.

Alan"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I do agree on the parking issues....without Keystone as an overflow...even without this announcement, parking was going to be an issue.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I'm surprised at the amount of people who are surprised This is a letter from Al back in April.
The Arapahoe Basin Season Pass, currently on sale for $399, will be the only unlimited season pass product for A-Basin in the 2019-20 season. If you would like to ski 8 or more days at The Basin, this is the only pass that will offer that option. We are still looking at opportunities to join other resort programs, but none of those programs will include unlimited access at A-Basin.

True, though that was in April, an I asked at least one A-Basin employee if they'd heard anything basically every time I skied this spring and the consensus I got was something like "they're telling us what they decide in early June" (or something, I forget the exact date at this point). Anyways, to me it seemed like it was unlikely that there would be further developments this year once we made it into summer based on those conversations.

Hard to see it being as much of a shitshow as it was on the Epic pass (I can't believe people would use a day on opening day, for example), but still, as a selfish local, I am pretty bummed about this. My Colorado dream was nice for the few months it lasted.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Half the epic pass holders in my office don't even know what the Ikon pass is.....why would they it doesn't include Vail
...and you're not telling them ;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
True, though that was in April, an I asked at least one A-Basin employee if they'd heard anything basically every time I skied this spring and the consensus I got was something like "they're telling us what they decide in early June" (or something, I forget the exact date at this point). Anyways, to me it seemed like it was unlikely that there would be further developments this year once we made it into summer based on those conversations.

Hard to see it being as much of a shitshow as it was on the Epic pass (I can't believe people would use a day on opening day, for example), but still, as a selfish local, I am pretty bummed about this. My Colorado dream was nice for the few months it lasted.
You think the employees are "In the know"?
Heck, I'm betting the powers that be weren't sure how the negotiations were going to shake out and I'll also bet that IKON had some kind of embargo on when the information could be released.

This does make a difference for the Pugski May Gathering.
It also makes sense for us to add the extra couple hundred for us to go full IKON instead of the Base IKON we currently have.

Orrrrrrrr.....
Keep the Base IKON and put the $300 toward Loveland tickets...hmmmmmm
Mix it up a bit when we hit Colorado in May.

Quite frankly, A-Basin going with Ikon has a lot to do with Pugski coming back to A-Basin in May. If they didn't partner with iKon, we were considering other options like Mammoth (which might be an additional event) but this pretty much assures that we will be back at the Beach in May.

Last edited:

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been posting over in the A-Basin is now a Free Agent Thread on this.....

This is awesome news for me. I had expected A-Basin to join the MCP for the revenue. Given their reasoning for leaving Epic the 2/3 day MCP made the most sense (to me). Due to the fact that I've been extending my stays at resorts the past couple years the MCP just wasn't the fit for me any longer. I over stayed at Taos, JH, and Big Sky last year. Not to mention the annual trip to Killington for the World Cup races that I've been buying lift tickets as part of a grandstand package for the past couple of years now. The final nail in the coffin of the MCP for me was the Gathering being at JH this year. So, the Ikon just became the smart choice. Given my present location the closest great skiing option is Taos, a 10 hr. drive. The addition of A-Basin to the Ikon gives me a second great location with an almost identical drive time to that of Taos. So this is really great news for me. :yahoo:

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am of two minds, I was really looking forward to an independent resort next year along with my Ikon pass, but now I know I will go more because the people I ski with all can go for a few days now.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've been posting over in the A-Basin is now a Free Agent Thread on this.....

This is awesome news for me. I had expected A-Basin to join the MCP for the revenue. Given their reasoning for leaving Epic the 2/3 day MCP made the most sense (to me). Due to the fact that I've been extending my stays at resorts the past couple years the MCP just wasn't the fit for me any longer. I over stayed at Taos, JH, and Big Sky last year. Not to mention the annual trip to Killington for the World Cup races that I've been buying lift tickets as part of a grandstand package for the past couple of years now. The final nail in the coffin of the MCP for me was the Gathering being at JH this year. So, the Ikon just became the smart choice. Given my present location the closest great skiing option is Taos, a 10 hr. drive. The addition of A-Basin to the Ikon gives me a second great location with an almost identical drive time to that of Taos. So this is really great news for me. :yahoo:
Where do you live in Texas? I lived in Amarillo, Irving (greater DFW), and Houston until leaving for graduate school. Never did learn to ski when I lived there.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where do you live in Texas? I lived in Amarillo, Irving (greater DFW), and Houston until leaving for graduate school. Never did learn to ski when I lived there.
DFW - I'm from Michigan. I'm on a long term project that will take me right into retirement 5/21.

Sponsor