• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Press Release: 2019-20 Ikon Pass

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Right, I get it now. My brain can't wrap around some things like the idea of skiing 10 days on a vacation lol. Things like that don't don't compute for me. I need to remember the insanely high % of people on this site who are retired (or seemingly insanely rich).

I struggle to get a 4 day ski vacation out west every 2-3 years. Damn kids are expensive
True enough! But, for a lot of us, our local resort is also on either the Epic or the Ikon so it makes it a bit of a no brainer.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
IKON web site is up and running for pass sales.

Vail Resorts sales started seconds after.

Pick a pass and go folks !

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Very tempting. I'd like to make the Gathering at JH next year, and Taos and Copper are on my bucket list. Add a week at Thredbo in August 2020 and I could wring a heap of value from the full pass. Then I'd throw in some diversions like 2 or 3 days at Snow King before the Gathering, plus using my Epic pass in CO for one hell of a road trip.

Sean

I don’t see any holes
Skier
I am disappointed with the military options available. I was thinking about switching passes this year but the epic military pass blows them away. I’m not sure what I will do now:huh:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't get the value in upgrading beyond the base pass. Seems like a lot more $$ to avoid blackout dates or get 2 more days at certain resorts. Base Pass seems like a great deal.
We ended up spending more than the difference in passes in extra days at two different resorts this year.
Deer Valley and Big Sky.
Next year we'll be doing 6 or 7 days at Jackson Hole. For us, its good insurance to go with the full pass.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very tempting. I'd like to make the Gathering at JH next year, and Taos and Copper are on my bucket list. Add a week at Thredbo in August 2020 and I could wring a heap of value from the full pass. Then I'd throw in some diversions like 2 or 3 days at Snow King before the Gathering, plus using my Epic pass in CO for one hell of a road trip.
We missed you at Big Sky. You would have loved it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am disappointed with the military options available. I was thinking about switching passes this year but the epic military pass blows them away. I’m not sure what I will do now:huh:
I guess some of that depends on where you want to (or plan to) ski.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't get the value in upgrading beyond the base pass. Seems like a lot more $$ to avoid blackout dates or get 2 more days at certain resorts. Base Pass seems like a great deal.

Christmas and kids. If your kids are in school, the only opportunity to ski for any length of time out west is at Christmas and Spring Break. Unfortunately, this season and next season Spring Break is/was in April, so that's not really an option as a bunch of those resorts close after the first (or so) week in April. So basically, you have to bite the bullet and ski at Christmas. I can't wait until the kids are out of high school and are in college so that we can buy the Base pass and not have to deal with the Christmas hoards.

One solution to this problem the past 2 years was to ski Big Sky and Big3 the past two years (on the Mountain Collective). Go where it's not crowded.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Steamboat and Stratton locals or frequent visitors see a huge benefit going from 5 days with blackout days to unlimited.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year, the full Ikon pass went on sale at Costco with a $200 discount!
I checked at Costco yesterday to see if they have any word on whether or not they will be carrying the IKON this season. No word as yet. I remember the frustration felt by some, me included, who purchased the pass early and then saw the Costco deal.

For first time IKON buyers who will be able to ski at some of the areas included for this spring the pass could be paid off by the end of the season. Caveat: if you use your 5 or 7 days at some areas you don't get a reload for next season, at least as I understand it. That's still a better deal than returning pass holders, though the $30 off is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp ski pole.

Reactions: Ron

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We ended up spending more than the difference in passes in extra days at two different resorts this year.
Deer Valley and Big Sky.
Next year we'll be doing 6 or 7 days at Jackson Hole. For us, its good insurance to go with the full pass.

I did all 7 days at both Taos and Big Sky. That paid for the difference between base and full right there.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For first time IKON buyers who will be able to ski at some of the areas included for this spring the pass could be paid off by the end of the season. Caveat: if you use your 5 or 7 days at some areas you don't get a reload for next season, at least as I understand it. That's still a better deal than returning pass holders, though the $30 off is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp ski pole.
The Spring benefit resorts are all the unlimited access ones, and not limited ones :beercheer:.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
For us, it's a no-brainer to go with the full pass. We usually spend Christmas up in Tahoe, so we would hate to be blacked out. And Christmas Eve Day afternoon and Christmas Day morning are the best times to ski. The mountain tends to be pretty quiet. We grew up skiing Christmas day (and week) in VT when I was a kid. Benefit of being Jewish. :D

It's the long weekends that tend to be a bit hectic here in the Bay Area, both with families and more adult weekenders.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought my son and his GF a pass each. They are 22 and snuck in under the line for $499 - then they also got an additional $10 off for being in college. They graduate in May but they are technically still enrolled! I hope they will get some spring days in this year but, if not, then there will be plenty of opportunity next season.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stratton offers a non-holiday pass (10 blackout days) for $459.

Which is great if that's the only place you plan to ski but if you plant to take a trip to any of the Ikon mountains then it makes a lot of sense.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I checked at Costco yesterday to see if they have any word on whether or not they will be carrying the IKON this season. No word as yet. I remember the frustration felt by some, me included, who purchased the pass early and then saw the Costco deal.

this is the only reason why I haven't renewed yet.