• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Press Release: 2019-20 Ikon Pass

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is Ikon Base similar to Epic base in that you get x% off the daily rate if you show up on a blackout date, or is it full window price?

Also, I'd like to hear from the Bay Area commuters here.

@oldfashoned to the white courtesy telephone please...IKON with Saturday traffic on 89 forcing a very early departure time or is it back to Sugar Bowl for you? BTW, I still owe you that beer.

:beercheer:

Then again, who am I kidding...Kirkwood always brings me back to Epic.

Depends on the resort. We were at Solitude for MLK day and they sold day passes at a discount to Base pass holders. 75 vs something north of $100 for general public. I don't think they were doing this over in LCC.

I know what you mean about Kirkwood. Love that place.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
@oldfashoned to the white courtesy telephone please...IKON with Saturday traffic on 89 forcing a very early departure time or is it back to Sugar Bowl for you? BTW, I still owe you that beer.

If I am on the 680/580 at 6:00AM on a “regular” day I’m feeling good. I park as close to Far East Express. That’s my goal. Haven’t experienced any traffic delays on 89 worth mentioning this season. Pow day probably on the highway at 5:20AM.
I have stayed at the BW in Boomtown(probably never again) and Truckee(expensive on weekends). Staying local makes a difference in the skiing. The one day tripper is much better on Saturday!! Sunday night traffic not good.

There is a discount for blacked out days, but doesn’t seem worth it to me. I’d probably just go to another hill(and I did).
Sadly not been to Sugar Bowl this season. Trying to arrange a day with @Mendieta though.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Following up.

For those of you deciding which IKON pass to get with respect to making The Gathering in Jackson, you should take into consideration that many who have attended previous Gatherings at Jackson spent a few days at Grand Targhee. So 5 days on your Base Pass and 2 Days at Targhee (with discounted lift tickets) and you're in business.

Flying or driving through Salt Lake? Take a day or a few there on your pass.

It's a no - brainer.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like the average increase (including renewals), is about 5%. Comparable to Vail's historical increases.

No reason to expect for Vail to increase their passes any less, though not sure they will also impose a smaller incremental hike (2-3%) on renewals.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ikon or Epic Senior rate Pass? a reward for years contributing to the sport. hopeful it might happen

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ikon or Epic Senior rate Pass? a reward for years contributing to the sport. hopeful it might happen

Alterra and Vail are more interested in years contributing to them. Wouldn’t hold your breath. To be fair the passes are cheap enough for what they offer as it is.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I don't get the value in upgrading beyond the base pass. Seems like a lot more $$ to avoid blackout dates or get 2 more days at certain resorts. Base Pass seems like a great deal.
Last year, the full Ikon pass went on sale at Costco with a $200 discount! (Ok, it’s called a “shopping credit”, for those who already shop at Costco)

They may or may not offer the same deal this year. But I’m going to gamble they will offer the same deal again. That’s only $200 extra instead of $300 extra over the base. For me, that’s not too much. Worth it to be able to ski Christmas/NY/MLK/President’s weekend.

Not to mention the resorts are actually LESS busy during the holidays because so many people’s passes are blackout!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Last year, the full Ikon pass went on sale at Costco with a $200 discount! (Ok, it’s called a “shopping credit”, for those who already shop at Costco)

They may or may not offer the same deal this year. But I’m going to gamble they will offer the same deal again. That’s only $200 extra instead of $300 extra over the base. For me, that’s not too much. Worth it to be able to ski Christmas/NY/MLK/President’s weekend.

Not to mention the resorts are actually LESS busy during the holidays because so many people’s passes are blackout!
Just make sure you can get the kids pass with the Costco pass :) $199 for a kids pass is a good deal.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Right, I get it now. My brain can't wrap around some things like the idea of skiing 10 days on a vacation lol. Things like that don't don't compute for me. I need to remember the insanely high % of people on this site who are retired (or seemingly insanely rich).

I struggle to get a 4 day ski vacation out west every 2-3 years. Damn kids are expensive

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
My brain can't wrap around some things like the idea of skiing 10 days on a vacation lol.
If you only use the pass on such short vacation out west, I don’t understand how you justfy even the base version of the pass?

On your typical 3-4 day vacation, you barely break even. And if something happens that you can’t make the # of days (flight delay?), you lose.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel the opposite way. If there was an option to pay more to get more days at some of those destinations, I'd do it. If I'm going to incur the time and travel expense to go to Aspen or Big Sky, I'd like to be there for a minimum of 10 days. The ski pass cost is the smaller cost of my ski trips compared to lodging, transportation and food. Epic pass allows you to spend an unlimited number of days at their top tier properties like Beaver Creek and Whistler. Ikon is a worse deal in that respect.

Just an idea if you’re skiing 10 days on one vacation and want to buy more days...no idea it’d its actually feasible or allowed...but can you buy 2 IKON base passes for the same person? You’d end up with 10 days skiing for $1300...if you only used it for one 10 day trip. Then if you live near a mountain on the Unlimited list, or took a second vacation that year...even a couple long weekends, it turns into a good deal pretty quick.

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
This year we did 3 Copper 4 packs through REI Labor Day sale, for $210 each (I think) which included a free day for a total of 5. Total of 8 days at Stratton between the kids, just 2 for me. That's another $750-$800 (can't remember). Call it $1,400 plus local ski pass. Regular Ikon would be about $1,400. Looks like we'll be doing Ikon for next year and throwing in a few more ski days.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier

There are several senior Epic passes, just not for the "full" pass. Until I qualified this year for the veteran's pass, I would get the Senior Keystone/Breck/A-Basin pass.

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
If you only use the pass on such short vacation out west, I don’t understand how you justfy even the base version of the pass?

On your typical 3-4 day vacation, you barely break even. And if something happens that you can’t make the # of days (flight delay?), you lose.

I live in the magnificent state featured on Focker's avatar.

We have base versions of IKON pass and all trips have been 4-7 days so far. I'm at 22 days ski days and counting and still have a 5 day trip in 1 week and than another 4 day trip several weeks later. Also debating a May trip to CA if snow conditions are still good. Some we fly. Some we drive.

I'll be sub $20 per ski day by end of season hopefully. Worth it. And then some.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

Agreed. This is why we've never bought Epic passes or will likely buy an Ikon pass, unless they struck a deal with a MN location as they have with MI locations. We use Liftopia for our western trips.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Agreed. This is why we've never bought Epic passes or will likely buy an Ikon pass, unless they struck a deal with a MN location as they have with MI locations. We use Liftopia for our western trips.
This is why my family opted for the Mountain Collective Pass. Our typically ski vacation is 4-5 days of skiing a little more when we go to Banff. Mountain collective works out to be the best deal when you are buying 5 passes. Cannot beat the $1 kids pass with every adult pass. That said my kids love skiing and we are out every weekend at our local mountain plus at least 3-4 family trips. We are at the point where the kids lack of fear combined with quick healing is making hard for mom and dad to keep … like last weekend when my 8 year old decided to drop in off a 20 foot ledge …. I didn't really want to follow him but kind of had to … big sister thought it was a great idea to teach him that

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January