Prescription Cycling Glasses

Discussion in 'General Cycling' started by Tony S, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

The cycling eyewear thread is way too easy. Let's up the ante and talk about PRESCRIPTION riding glasses. (Yes, I've tried contacts, and no, I haven't been able to make them work for me.) I have a moderately complex prescription with astigmatism correction. My everyday glasses are progressives. My current cycling lens is distance-only, but I would consider a progressive if people think that would work, since trying to do fine tasks like reading a phone or fixing mechanicals is difficult with the distance-only lens. Prefer photochromic for evening rides and mixed deep woods / fields. Must have some wraparound / shielding effect to prevent eye-watering from wind.

2. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    Our local optician is saying they can put prescriptions into Oakley's or Maui Jim's. Not sure about wrap around though.

3. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Have you considered a visored helmet? For use with your everyday glasses?

4. Tony S

Tony S aka qcanoe Skier

Thanks, folks. Looking for first-hand experience, not speculation, although the shield idea is kind of interesting.

5. Plai

Plai Paul Lai Skier

6. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Hey, my speculation has pictures! https://www.pugski.com/threads/zeiss-lens-pitting.9955/ <- That's on a made-in-2015 helmet. It doesn't argue well for the idea though.