• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The ad posted above (and again here) was captured by Dave Peterson in the brand achieves (Thanks Dave!). It was from SKI, Dec. 1973.
I agree it seems like it would be later after the Orange Astral Slalom boot but apparently they overlapped. I honestly don't remember that boot, but I was so happy with mine I probably just didn't notice.
I thought the Flo filled liner was a big step forward, at least for my foot. I had some foam injected Caber's before these. Never found happiness with them...

View attachment 70716
I liked the Caber boots of the 1970's the Flo liners in them were better than the foam injured ones but that was true of most of the manufacturers. The foot last of the Caber was wider than other boots of that time but I think that they were a little shorter because my size 10 foot that fit in a size 9 Nordica but would not fit in the size 9 Caber. They did have some great boots, once you got the length correct they were easy to sell.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Bear Mt. CA back in January.
IMG_20190109_084727146.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Not sure about pre-'95, but they looked straight enough.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Oh my! Those boots are ancient! He must have a very high tolerance for pain as the cuffs on those dig right in to your shin.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I saw a pair of K2 Merlins out on the hill yesterday. One of his LEDs still worked. ;)

(the 'winking smilie' is a visual joke)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Boots are from the sixties, very much like my second pair. I wanted the Aspen beanie. View attachment 92671 View attachment 92672
Hexcels with Tyrolia 360 RD and Lange boots. I can not see the color of the Lange liners so not sure what model they are but those of that vintage did share the nickname LangeBang Boots. Too much snow on the tops of the skis so I can not tell what model Hexcel they are but I know they are not the Comp, maybe the Sundance or the Hexcelarator.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
180 Lacroix Powder 111 underfoot, ess var bindings. Thought these might have been pretty good but was a bit disappointed. Seemed soft enough underfoot but the tip was a little stiff and found they dove a bit. Guess I just could not dial in the for aft balance. Minimal sidecut, just not a very lively ski. Might take a few trips out to get used to them but they simply are not exciting enough to waste powder on. The offset bindings did not seem to make a difference but I did find my outside ski skated away a few times.

IMG_1209.JPG

195 LOOK GS (mid 80s) new modern LOOK pivots. A little stiff, they bent nicely at speed but I am just not a speed guy. They still have their 90 degree factory tune. Metal top sheet and most likely wood core but it was hard to tell from the drill debris. I was told they are most likely foam but they don't seem very light and when I poke a stiff needle all around in the hole it is very dense. I have 205s in these and they seem like a super serious ski.

IMG_1228.JPG

190 Authier Vampire Limited (early 90s) LOOK Z7. The bases were nice so I did not take them for a grind but needed to get the rust off so I wound up with a slight base bevel and left the sides at 90. Damp ride but lively. Nice bump ski. Decent rebound and very very cool graphics.

IMG_1220.JPG

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Shouldn't these be in a museum? 3/11/20 @ Snow Summit, CA.
IMG_20200311_125403666_HDR.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A two-fer of Olin Mark skis at A-Basin
IMG_4800.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online