• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dynastar GS 207. Soft, easy turning, barely pressured the tongues and they turned themselves. I don't do high speed GS but it was very comfortable cruising and could easily crank short radius. This is the kind of ski I would have chosen as my recreational ski. They handled freshly formed medium sized moguls really well but I did not have the nerve to hit the gnarly stuff. I did 5 laps on these and just left time for one lap on the slaloms which worked out well.:yahoo::yahoo:

IMG_0704.JPG

Dynastar Slalom 203 with racing Forza. Too stiff for fun. Just required too much effort for the return.:huh:
IMG_0706.JPG

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Briefly met this gentlemen while at Loveland a few weeks ago. I had forgotten that I snapped some pics until I was going back through my photos today. These are Olin Mark VI Comp SL skis. I raced on these in high school and I remember how hard it was for me to afford these back then. I think I sold a couple guitars to raise the funds. Anyhow, here are the pics "in the wild". ;)

20190326_171231212_iOS.jpg
20190326_171235045_iOS.jpg
20190326_171237645_iOS.jpg

Bonus points if you know the boots and bindings too! And check out those classic Scott poles with the strapless grips. This guy was full on "retro" on a non-retro day.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
View attachment 43430 View attachment 43431
Old 1984ish Rossignol STS with the all new 2019 Rossignol Experience 88Ti

Blast from the past! I had that exact setup of the STS's and 737 bindings. It had to be before 1984 because I skied those in high school when I was a gatekeeper for the races at Mission Ridge. That's how I got earned my seasons pass at the time as well as got in a lot of skiing when the mountain was closed. I'm thinking those are closer to 1980. Wish I still had them now. It'd be fun to take em for a rip.

I forgot those were the skis that got stolen when I was a kid so my dads insurance only coughed up enough to by the next step down which where the Rossignol S4 Wide Track- Parallel Turn Sport model. OMG...I thought they were great powder skis because they were 2mm wider than my STS's!!!

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Briefly met this gentlemen while at Loveland a few weeks ago. I had forgotten that I snapped some pics until I was going back through my photos today. These are Olin Mark VI Comp SL skis. I raced on these in high school and I remember how hard it was for me to afford these back then. I think I sold a couple guitars to raise the funds. Anyhow, here are the pics "in the wild". ;)

View attachment 70683 View attachment 70684 View attachment 70685

Bonus points if you know the boots and bindings too! And check out those classic Scott poles with the strapless grips. This guy was full on "retro" on a non-retro day.

Those are some old Nordica Banana boots, aren't they?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I believe you are correct sir. :)

214808dfd942ddbbc5a8ff54e3190d44.jpg
The one in the poster is a six buckle model not the real banana boot. The Nordica Astro SL (AKA Banana Boot) was a 5 buckle model. In later years it was also made in orange.
See the "All things Nordics" thread for a picture posted by our gear historian April 23 2016 for the five buckle banana boot.

Last edited:
TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The one in the poster is a six buckle model not the real banana boot. The Nordica Astro SL (AKA Banana Boot) was a 5 buckle model. In later years it was also made in orange.

Yep, I had the 'orange' banana's. 1976, had a leather inner boot. I LOVED those boots more than any others I've ever owned. They took forever to dry out after a sweaty day in the bumps but they really held your foot in solid! Locked hinge, flo fit. And those boots in particular were made of a plastic that did not age well. Mine literally broke in half one day maybe 10-12 years later. Always stored in a cool, dry and dark place too. The six buckle was earlier? 1973? Astral Slalom came out in '74 I believe.

Nordica banana boot.jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Yep, I had the 'orange' banana's. 1976, had a leather inner boot. I LOVED those boots more than any others I've ever owned. They took forever to dry out after a sweaty day in the bumps but they really held your foot in solid! Locked hinge, flo fit. And those boots in particular were made of a plastic that did not age well. Mine literally broke in half one day maybe 10-12 years later. Always stored in a cool, dry and dark place too. The six buckle was earlier? 1973? Astral Slalom came out in '74 I believe.

View attachment 70688
The Flo filled liner was about 74 but the foam injection model was available earlier and may have been available in red. Not 100% sure but I think the 6 buckle was available later as the boots went even higher up on the leg in the later 1970's. Nordica trying to extend the sales of the "Bananas" image with the six buckle model.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The Flo filled liner was about 74 but the foam injection model was available earlier and may have been available in red. Not 100% sure but I think the 6 buckle was available later as the boots went even higher up on the leg in the later 1970's. Nordica trying to extend the sales of the "Bananas" image with the six buckle model.

The ad posted above (and again here) was captured by Dave Peterson in the brand achieves (Thanks Dave!). It was from SKI, Dec. 1973.
I agree it seems like it would be later after the Orange Astral Slalom boot but apparently they overlapped. I honestly don't remember that boot, but I was so happy with mine I probably just didn't notice.
I thought the Flo filled liner was a big step forward, at least for my foot. I had some foam injected Caber's before these. Never found happiness with them...

SKI Dec 1973 Nordica Pugski.jpg

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
I believe that 6 buckle Nordica boot was called the "Olympic"

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Found this over @ Nordica.com.

Introduction of the legendary yellow Astral Slalom, the “Nordica banana,” sells 400,000 pairs and establishes the template of the modern racing ski boot.

It looks like it started as a foam boot and then in '74 the liner switched to a Flo system.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Skeid the Olympic for 2 or three seasons in the early 70's was a 5 buckle boot with a one piece shell. A little taller than the Astral (banana boot). A really good stiff boot, but kept tearing the plastic at the flex points where a cuff would have been.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
That high top buckle reminds me of another boot made for 1972.
The Rieker Sapporo. So perhaps the non-banana Banana boot was Nordica's Olympic entry for the games.

Rieker Sapporo 1972.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
IMG_6237.JPG
The Rieker Sapporo. So perhaps the non-banana Banana boot was Nordica's Olympic entry for the games.
Four rivets around the pivot? I guess it didn't flex?

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
The guy on OLIN MARK Vl COMP SLs
“He was all Retro on a non-retro day”
Or-
Or maybe just a dinasour like some of us!?
If it ain’t broke.... you can still ski it!
- and a true testament to the quality of that equipment: skis, bindings, boots poles - all 35 years old-
No problem!

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
These were actually skied on all day at Nubs a few weeks ago. Wish I had a better shot of the rossis her friend had.

Olins.jpg

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier

View attachment 70750

Probably a silly question but that looks metalic, it's not Daleboot redux is it?

Sponsor

Staff online