• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BornToSki683

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
BTS, respectfully, you're reading a chapter list with the expectation of individual words and passages.

respectfully, which chapter list do you think I am reading?

PSIA is whatever you chose to make of it. If all you say is true, then people like Eric and Jonathan must be seriously misguided skiers and coaches.

I certainly didn't say that. Please refrain from misrepresenting my point of view. In fact what I said above is that there are many memes circulating around with members of PSIA, including those two guys and thousands of others.. there are many great PSIA instructors out there that add a lot of their own personal insights to make up for the deficiencies in PSIA's official code. I would presume Eric and Jonathan to have many great insights which are under the radar.....of course ! And many other instructors too. I'm simply saying..the five fundamentals don't codify those insights.... not even 1% of it. And unfortunately because its not codified, then for every great PSIA coach out there, there are at least several more that have things just plain wrong

What IMHO opinion psia IS trying to do is help instructors break down movements that lead to effective (and provide guidelines for good MA to understand less effective) movements. Great coaching in any system doesn't rely strictly on progressions.

PSIA does not break down movements, sorry. This is what they are missing as an organization.

What I've enjoyed about PSIA is that I've always had a pretty long leash in incorporating a lifetime of non-PSIA experience into my sessions. No relatively experienced instructor is going to focus on the 5 fundamentals to the exclusion of all else.

agreed!

You're looking for the details and find the 'how' lacking. Fair enough. In my experience, it's been for us as individuals/coaches/trainers/contributors to figure out and share

Well that is the problem. The "figuring out" is inconsistent and often incorrect. Buyer beware.

, and yes, I do think PSIA could do a better job in sharing this, but what I read into your post is more of a blanket condemnation of the organization. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. Speaking only for myself, I've had too many useful interactions with national and divisional staff to toss the baby out with the bathwater, but I also know and happily use other tubs as well. ogsmile

Again, you can't read my mind. you should not put words into my mouth. PLEASE QUOTE ME EXACTLY AND PRECISELY WHEN RESPONDING AS YOU MAY READ IT MORE CAREFULLY THAT WAY. You continually are mis representing my point of view Mark. challenging PSIA as an organization in certain areas is not a "blanket condemnation".

Last edited:

Uke

Who am I now
Skier
So it sounds like the powers that be identified several outcomes that are present all high level skiing and phrased these observations as prescriptions. Sort of like saying 'If this thing doesn't happen then you are doing it wrong and so try it again.'

To my way of thinking the fundamentals should be those things that produce the outcomes not the outcomes themselves.

uke

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
respectfully, which chapter list do you think I am reading?

I certainly didn't say that. Please refrain from misrepresenting my point of view. In fact what I said above is that there are many memes circulating around with members of PSIA, including those two guys and thousands of others.. there are many great PSIA instructors out there that add a lot of their own personal insights to make up for the deficiencies in PSIA's official code. I would presume Eric and Jonathan to have many great insights which are under the radar.....of course ! And many other instructors too. I'm simply saying..the five fundamentals don't codify those insights.... not even 1% of it. And unfortunately because its not codified, then for every great PSIA coach out there, there are at least several more that have things just plain wrong

PSIA does not break down movements, sorry. This is what they are missing as an organization.

agreed!

Well that is the problem. The "figuring out" is inconsistent and often incorrect. Buyer beware.

Again, you can't read my mind. you should not put words into my mouth. PLEASE QUOTE ME EXACTLY AND PRECISELY WHEN RESPONDING AS YOU MAY READ IT MORE CAREFULLY THAT WAY. You continually are mis representing my point of view Mark. challenging PSIA as an organization in certain areas is not a "blanket condemnation".

This wht I asked if I was reading things incorrectly. I'm not going to argue with you. You have a point and have made it.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
One of the rare occasions when I agree with Allen Iverson.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Uke, that isn't my take away from the message at all. Why? There are several outcomes for ski performance and several ways to get there. FWIW, the best clinic I participated in this season addressed this directly. My favorite moment was proving one can easily make railroad track turns at speed and in dynamic balance on a firm blue groomer with zero angulation for skeptics. Haven't had my card pulled yet... ogsmile

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@BornToSki683 perhaps the reason other members here are of the opinion that you're not a fan of PSIA is because you've had a history of posting on Epic with thoughts that would lead one to think that way. It seems that you've found a new platform (pugski) to continue this circular discussion process. I'm not sure why you're surprised that others have drawn this conclusion. You should see it clearly up there on your soap box.

BornToSki683

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
@BornToSki683 perhaps the reason other members here are of the opinion that you're not a fan of PSIA is because you've had a history of posting on Epic with thoughts that would lead one to think that way. It seems that you've found a new platform (pugski) to continue this circular discussion process. I'm not sure why you're surprised that others have drawn this conclusion. You should see it clearly up there on your soap box.

Ok Tricia if you want to go there too..then let's go there. I have never ever ever ever posted on Epic that I am not a "fan" of PSIA. That right there is a blanket BS statement. Sorry you are now mis representing my point of view also.

I have repeatedly stated there and I will continue to state here that I am card carrying member with points that I think PSIA could do better. Rather it is people like Mark, and perhaps you which have entirely mis-interpreted my words, mis repsrented my words and mis characterized my point of view and my attitude.

Yes I am very surprised and will continue to be surprised when people like you, mark and others will jump to conclusions and mis represent my words simply because you are too defensive to hear the truth on certain points. I am only pointing out certain things that MANY people in the locker room say the same thing. This should not be verboten discussion and I should not be demonized for it as you are doing now. Shame on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online