• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I would like to get a pozi drive bit or screwdriver.

I am just looking for one to check and tighten (if necessary) my and my families bindings from time to time. I just need something basic do'nt need a high end german or swiss tool. Can I get away with one size?

A bit that I can put into a nutdriver would work or a single piece one similar to a screwdriver would work.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking to check ebay or aliexpress?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Get a #3 posi screwdriver around 10" long. Makes all the difference in the world. If you're only getting one, avoid bits as you can easily strip wood cores if you set the torque too high. Plus you can through the screwdriver into your boot bag in case something is wonky at the hill.

Fact is, even well-installed bindings should have their screws checked from time to time. I was pretty embrassed skiing my first pow day with @Ron last year and having to stop for a few minutes to square things up on some skis that hadn't seen snow yet that year.

This is what I have and can't imagine wearing it out: http://www.slidewright.com/no-roll-soft-grip-ergo-handle-pozi-screwdriver-3.php

Bits are nice if you're installing bindings. Set the torque plenty low, then hand tighten.

Last edited:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Thanks for the replies, so to confirm should I get a #2 or #3.

If I got a bit I wouldn't use it in a powered screw gun.. I would insert it into a 1/4" hand nut driver.

Thanks again

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
#3. As long as the driver gives you a solid feel. I tried that and just didn't get the feel I wanted, but it could have been my driver.

Terry at Slidewright is great, so if jmeb likes that one, go for it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Most binding screws and adjustments utilized the #3 pozidrive.

Liker @Steve said, insert bit doesn't provide that positive feel. Also most insert bits have a turned down diameter. Reducing the purchase provided by the bits.

If cost is an issue, try Felo.
Wiha and Felo are both made in Germany.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I got and use this; mainly due to portability. You can take it on the slopes with you a lot easier than a real tool.

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.c...inding-buddy-multi-tool-BD1635000000ALL1.html

Note that the pozidrive bit that you might get in most homedepot or lowes in a 30-in-1 screwdriver bit sets will usually be too short, the collar of the screwdriver will get hung up on a lot of binding housings and you won't reach the screw heads. Notice that this one smartly comes with the longer pozidrive bit intended for your ski bindings.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I will say that I have a handful of Wiha screwdrivers for general use, the 3K series like the one @jmeb linked to. I love them. Very comfortable to use and durable. I'd have no qualms about picking up one of those.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tiy can kill two..or three birds with one pair of poles with the Atomic BC poles with built-in Pozidrive and regular screw driver.
okpy5tyIRcSzj7mQEBs0cg.jpg
lKu70TZ5QT+qRSNTImw7gw.jpg
FzOOywuyQIexeLPPinR0DQ.jpg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
^The problem with those is they really don't like to be used through an access hole (e.g. Solly Driver toes) or with tight access next to a large binding body (e.g. Rossi PX like we know OP has at least one pair of). Any of them, of course, would work on OP's NEOX.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
^The problem with those is they really don't like to be used through an access hole (e.g. Solly Driver toes) or with tight access next to a large binding body (e.g. Rossi PX like we know OP has at least one pair of). Any of them, of course, would work on OP's NEOX.
The Kobalt one would not work on a toe with recessed screws but on some heels it would work. The other may fit depending on the holder.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This is what I use at home:

20180807_160241_Silverthorne Lane.jpg

The handle because I already had it. The long shaft bit because of Solomon toes.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
agree, see my post. You will need at least a 2 in bit. For $10 you might as well get the blackdiamond item I linked; even if it's just for the bit and you don't use the tool.

Uncle-A

Skier
One thing that has worked when stuck without a POZI, take an old #2 PH and grind the tip shorter (make it less pointy) by just a little. Not for constant use, but to just check for tightness at the beginning of the season it will work. Not a perfect alignment but it will keep you from stripping the screw hole and not damage to the screw head.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The Craftsman one in the photo is not Pozidrive it (41297) is is a #3 Phillips.
I Don't think Craftsman (no longer Sears) makes Pozidrive ones. Some others near top
may also be Phillips.

Pozidrive & Phillips are both trademarks of the Phillips Screw Company- a US company.
Get a long handle #3 Pozidrive.

Uncle-A

Skier
Just a few POZI and the shortened PH 2 I talked about above.
upload_2018-8-9_11-30-1.png

The top two with the black marking are Bosch PZ 3, the bit with the six inch holder is a Sears PZ 3 bit, and the bottom bit is the shortened PH 2 with the tip ground down.

Sponsor

Staff online