• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Powdr Has Purchased Eldora

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
POWDR ACQUIRES FRONT RANGE FAVORITE ELDORA MOUNTAIN RESORT

PARK CITY, Utah (June 6, 2016) – As one of the largest, passionate ski operators in North America inspiring every human being to enjoy cool experiences in awesome places, Powdr, the adventure lifestyle company headquartered in Park City, is pleased to announce a new acquisition: Eldora Mountain Resort.

This important addition amplifies Powdr’s presence in Colorado and serves as a strategic complement to their other Colorado resort, Copper Mountain.

“Colorado’s front range is one of the best ski markets in the world. Expanding our footprint here with now two of the most accessible resorts to serve those passionate skiers is an enormous honor,” said John Cumming, CEO and owner of Powdr. “Eldora is admired as a leading entry point and training ground for children and beginners. We want to work hard for more people to join us in the adventure-filled world of snow sports.”

“I’ve had the privilege of knowing John Cumming for nearly 30 years,” said William Killebrew, previous owner of Eldora. “He has built a great adventure company and has the reputation as an outstanding operator. When we decided to consider selling Eldora, we wanted to put our resort in the best hands possible and Powdr was the first company that came to mind.”

Brent Tregaskis, General Manager at Eldora since 2015, will continue to run operations for the resort. “We are very excited to work with Brent and his team to continue to deliver amazing experiences to those that love Eldora,” said COO/EVP of Powdr Resorts Tim Brennwald.

There is no pricing change anticipated for Eldora’s Super Value Season Pass for the upcoming 2016/2017 season. Eldora is also included in the Rocky Mountain Super Pass Plus season pass program.

PRESS RELEASE

EVP / Chief Operating Officer
[email protected]

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Huh.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:popcorn:

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
http://www.dailycamera.com/boulder-business/ci_29983723/eldora-sold-ski-area-boulder-county

http://snowbrains.com/powdr-corp-acquires-eldora-mountain-ski-resort-co/

Not unexpected, but it will be interesting to see how they fare. I'm not sure if this bodes better or worse for Eldora, as Powdr doesn't exactly have the worlds greatest reputation for management at the moment, and I can see an operator of primarily destination resort areas failing to have the deft touch that a successful local area needs. You don't make a small ski area successful by making it feel like a big ski area...

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
I skied there in the late '70's when living in Boulder. Powdr can seemingly make money off these tiny areas that would otherwise fail with independent operators. Eldora doesn't quite make up for Powdr losing PCMR. :(

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Looks like they're still on the RSMP+, so all good from my end. ;)

It's been a while since I've paid attention, but when I lived back east, I thought Powdr did a pretty good job with Killington. There are so many little things that would make a big difference at Eldora -- I'll be optimistic and hope that this is the beginning of some of those things actually happening.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm just glad it didn't got to Vail Resorts although I don't think there was much risk of that happening given that they bailed from the Epic Pass after one season and seem to be happy with the partnership with the RMSP+.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Looks like they're still on the RSMP+, so all good from my end. ;)

It's been a while since I've paid attention, but when I lived back east, I thought Powdr did a pretty good job with Killington. There are so many little things that would make a big difference at Eldora -- I'll be optimistic and hope that this is the beginning of some of those things actually happening.
Powdr made lots of mistakes at Killington the first couple of years. They shortened the season, they limited the gondola that serves a lot of ski-in ski-out properties to mid-season weekends, and they jacked the kids programs prices AFTER the season passes were all sold. A lot of long term Kmart skiers and property owners were pissed. They kicked PSIA to the curb too, so a lot of instructors were pissed too.
FWIW I hope Eldora picks up the Max Pass this year. Eldora is the best for my granddaughter.
dm

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Powdr made lots of mistakes at Killington the first couple of years. They shortened the season, they limited the gondola that serves a lot of ski-in ski-out properties to mid-season weekends, and they jacked the kids programs prices AFTER the season passes were all sold. A lot of long term Kmart skiers and property owners were pissed. They kicked PSIA to the curb too, so a lot of instructors were pissed too.
FWIW I hope Eldora picks up the Max Pass this year. Eldora is the best for my granddaughter.
dm

Yes... but they also did a lot of necessary maintenance after years of neglect by ASC. I think things could go either way.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first reaction is... bummer. Eldora badly needs the planned expansion and lift upgrades. Powdr has long deferred and delayed needed upgrades at Copper. No reason to expect them to invest in Eldora given their history at Copper.

This also doesn't do anything for us RMSP holders except maintain the status quo. I never made it to Eldora the last two years in spite of it being on my pass. The little extra drive to Mary Jane for faster lifts, better terrain, and better snow always won out.

What we really need is Powdr or Intrawest to buy A-basin or Loveland and add it to the RMSP. I'd be ecstatic if that happened!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I used to ski Eldora when I arrived in Colorado from Michigan. My former SIL lives 15 minutes from Eldora so it made sense to get a cheap ticket and ski for a few hours to get our legs under us after driving 18 hrs.
I thought it was a cool place.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
My first reaction is... bummer. Eldora badly needs the planned expansion and lift upgrades. Powdr has long deferred and delayed needed upgrades at Copper. No reason to expect them to invest in Eldora given their history at Copper.

This also doesn't do anything for us RMSP holders except maintain the status quo. I never made it to Eldora the last two years in spite of it being on my pass. The little extra drive to Mary Jane for faster lifts, better terrain, and better snow always won out.

What we really need is Powdr or Intrawest to buy A-basin or Loveland and add it to the RMSP. I'd be ecstatic if that happened!

Maybe it's a good sign that Powdr is investing some of that PCMR cash here, even if it is portfolio expansion rather than portfolio improvements. Who knows if Loveland owners would want to sell, but seems like Powdr might be a prime candidate.

Loveland/Copper would be killer - that's a near perfect Front Range pass as long as A-Basin continues to be weirdly imbued with Epic Randomness.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Powdr is putting in a new chair @ Bachelor this Summer. So that's a good thing.

Sponsor