• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powdr Corp buys SilverStar near Vernon B.C.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Given what I found out today that Snowbird was still separate from Powdr, it was bugging the crap out of me how/why Snowbird is listed under Powdr website.

I think I know the answer. You'll notice the website says Powdr brands. So perhaps somehow Powdr has access to some Snowbird branding, but people in the know definitively told me today the Snowbird resort is not within Powdr.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Having an owner with deep pockets is not a bad thing. Here at Killington Powdr replaced ASC (American Ski Company). The Powdr manger Chris Nyberg tried to run The Beast like a western resort. He wanted less skiers spending more money. Easy to drive skiers away and hard to get them to come back. Present manger Mike Solimano has rebuilt the mountain vibe and Powdr has pumped in over 60 million over the past couple of years. For all the good and bad I rate Powdr more on the good side.

Long time skiers often view ski area owners as more guardians of the mountains that capture our hearts.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Having an owner with deep pockets is not a bad thing. Here at Killington Powdr replaced ASC (American Ski Company). The Powdr manger Chris Nyberg tried to run The Beast like a western resort. He wanted less skiers spending more money. Easy to drive skiers away and hard to get them to come back. Present manger Mike Solimano has rebuilt the mountain vibe and Powdr has pumped in over 60 million over the past couple of years. For all the good and bad I rate Powdr more on the good side.

Long time skiers often view ski area owners as more guardians of the mountains that capture our hearts.
I am thrilled that Snowbird is owned by an extraordinarily wealthy family. It means it is far less likely that they will sell out to Vail or Alterra. The fact Bass sold to the Cumming family and explicitly didn't want it going to a big corporate like Vail makes it even more likely it doesn't completely sell out to the two corporate empires.

The right wealthy owner can be a godsend for a resort and a great steward/guardian.

Sounds like Powdr has done a nice job at Killington and some other places they own. Unfortunately, when Powdr owned Park City I don't think they did a great job. They certainly weren't pumping that much money in the place.

Perhaps what happened with the lease was a kick in the butt and a wake up call to up their game.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Silverstar will probably be in the Ikon 7 day partner pool next season. To balance out W/B & the RCR resorts.

Revelstoke is also an Ikon partner, and a couple hours away from Silver Star, so maybe even more “balancing.”

If SS is included on the Ikon pass, I will absolutely plan some Ikon road trips to SS, Revelstoke, Lake Louise and Banff Sunshine. An Canada road trip entirely on Ikon. Or include Crystal and Cypress if you’re visiting from out of the PNW.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Revelstoke is also an Ikon partner, and a couple hours away from Silver Star, so maybe even more “balancing.”

If SS is included on the Ikon pass, I will absolutely plan some Ikon road trips to SS, Revelstoke, Lake Louise and Banff Sunshine. An Canada road trip entirely on Ikon. Or include Crystal and Cypress if you’re visiting from out of the PNW.

Getting both the Epic and Ikon is start to look like a good option for some serious resort hopping up in your neck of the wood and north.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Getting both the Epic and Ikon is start to look like a good option for some serious resort hopping up in your neck of the wood and north.
The downside of getting both passes is how you going to keep your per day average under $5 that way? I'm getting worried about you Grump. You're getting soft on me man.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The downside of getting both passes is how you going to keep your per day average under $5 that way? I'm getting worried about you Grump. You're getting soft on me man.

Money is cheap.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As it turns out, I have both Epic and Ikon.

And given the price of day tickets, I don’t need to reach a $5 per day average in order to make it worthwhile, though, it would be cool to have the bragging rights. If I get it to about $25 per day average, it’s way way better than walk up prices at even the least expensive small mom and pop ski areas.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Unfortunately, when Powdr owned Park City I don't think they did a great job. They certainly weren't pumping that much money in the place.
When I consider how Vail is running the place I’m ashamed I ever said a harsh word about Powdr! At least Powdr were capable of opening terrain on time and succeeded in running the lifts without grinding them to a halt every 30 seconds. Come back John, all is forgiven!

Sponsor

Staff online