• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder turns

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had something happen Thursday that was new to me and thought I would post question here and see what comes up.

Background. Me 75yrs, 193lbs, 5'11 45yr skier. I went out Thurs at Silver Mt. 6-10 inches of powder and skied all my usual places.
I was on my new skis Ross Sould 7, last year model 180cm. I probably won't describe this properly but the skis turned too much. Usually I will make med. radius turns in powder and short turns when I need too, and mix it up pretty good. I found myself making turns that were too much, across the hill instead of down the hill and I couldn't seem to feather or be patient on the turns. I have never had the problem of too much turn in the powder or on any snow for that matter.

Once I realized why I was feeling so out of sorts I played with the ski turning and couldn't get rid of the turny feeling.

My lst impulse is the blame the skis, too slarvey, too short for 200 lbs plus guy but also thinking it was me not the skis. This has never happened to me or my skiing and I had a poor day in what was pretty good conditions. Anyway looking for comments. Thanks

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am your size and have skied and had fun on some Soul 7 but their awfulness on hardpack prevented me from ever buying a pair.

My guess is upper body rotation of some sort especially if you felt like you were stuck and couldn't get the next turn going. Video of you skiing in any condition would confirm or refute my educated guess. Why its never been problem before my only guess is again that either you were not as good as doing what you do on that day, or other skis, or other powder snow conditions were different.

but again video of you skiing in any condition would be a start. Until then even my reasonable educated guesses are just hearsay.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
How many times have you skied the Soul 7? I believe they have a 5 point sidecut.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I'v seen you ski. I'm going with it's the ski. You'll get use to them.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
sidecut has very little to do with how skis in powder.....in "interesting" 3d snow or denser powder though sidecut can be catchy, but the Soul 7 with its extremely long taper 5 point sidecut doesnt really suffer from this.

Certain types of powder and 3d snow can overwhelm softer ski and cause them to over flex. with out knowing the snow and skiers skills its hard to say. its specifically the reason I own 4frnt renegades/Nordica El Capos, snow my patrons feels like crap in I use either of those skis since they are stiffer and straighter.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Let me put it another way. The area of the ski at the tips and tails, as compared the area underfoot and the softness of that ski and your 193 lbs and the fact that you don't ski like a slug means when you dial up a turn, that ski will bend into a much tighter turn than you would like. It would be great for you if you wanted to ski tight trees slowly.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Had something happen Thursday that was new to me and thought I would post question here and see what comes up.

Background. Me 75yrs, 193lbs, 5'11 45yr skier. I went out Thurs at Silver Mt. 6-10 inches of powder and skied all my usual places.
I was on my new skis Ross Sould 7, last year model 180cm. I probably won't describe this properly but the skis turned too much. Usually I will make med. radius turns in powder and short turns when I need too, and mix it up pretty good. I found myself making turns that were too much, across the hill instead of down the hill and I couldn't seem to feather or be patient on the turns. I have never had the problem of too much turn in the powder or on any snow for that matter.

Once I realized why I was feeling so out of sorts I played with the ski turning and couldn't get rid of the turny feeling.

My lst impulse is the blame the skis, too slarvey, too short for 200 lbs plus guy but also thinking it was me not the skis. This has never happened to me or my skiing and I had a poor day in what was pretty good conditions. Anyway looking for comments. Thanks

I have used the Soul 7 quite a bit in the past and only liked them in tight skied out trees. On open runs at speed they are VERY sketchy and in powder too soft. Go figure. I generally prefer burlier skis (I am 6-2 190lb). I tested a bunch of one oh somethings and posted here: https://www.pugski.com/threads/demo-day-at-loveland-tested-10-pairs-of-skis.7095/

My fav? A tie between the Dynastar Legend X106 188cm and the Kastle BMX 105 in 181cm.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thursday's snow in town was really wet and heavy. What was it like on the mountain?

Wondering if the compaction factor of wet snow, and a different ski combined to create the effect? I'm going with you will adjust to it.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Too much shovel for your style.

BTDT got the tweaked knee years ago to show for it.

Habits die hard.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thursday's snow in town was really wet and heavy. What was it like on the mountain?

Wondering if the compaction factor of wet snow, and a different ski combined to create the effect? I'm going with you will adjust to it.

I'd say to powder was about medium not dry or wet and actually felt good. I have a pair of Praxis Protest skis (what I am on in my avatar) AND tdhought these were too much ski for the average powder day here (which is 3-5 inches) so bought the Soul 7's. Now hoping I didn't blow it. Next powder day I think I will take both pair and then can see. Head scratcher for me.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the thing is if you can get off the hard bottom the ski and skier doesnt know if there is 3 inches, 10inch or 20 inches....

but if you in lots of scraped off stuff then the protest will not be that fun.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Josh, yep thats one of the reasons I got the Soul 7. I will try again and see what happens I could have just been having an OFF day. We have a lot of days up here between 3-6 inches and thought the Protest not for the 3-4 in days for sure.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Let me put it another way. The area of the ski at the tips and tails, as compared the area underfoot and the softness of that ski and your 193 lbs and the fact that you don't ski like a slug means when you dial up a turn, that ski will bend into a much tighter turn than you would like. It would be great for you if you wanted to ski tight trees slowly.
Could be this ^^^
Could be the snow. Could be you. Are the bindings different than on your other skis? My older model Soul7’s are mounted with Tyrolia AT bindings. This changes the stand height as well as the ramp angle compared to my other skis which mostly have Rossi axial bindings. This change in stance produces a noticeable difference in how the ski skis. It is always an adjustment when I take the skis out. Also, make sure the bindings are not mounted too far forward.

Like François, I bought mine specifically to Ski low angle, tight trees. Although the skis are adequate in other conditions, this is where they shine for me.

EDIT: I will add that it is a pretty whimpy ski even for me at 160lbs. On a 180cm. I do not ski it on big days.

Last edited:
TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good points, thank you. A little bit of all the comments is probably true. Will take them out again and see if I can dial in and get comfortable with their nuances. Am thinking open space powder turns (take the Praxis) but should be better in trees etc. if I can dial them in to my skiing.

Thanks all for the different perspectives it makes me think a little clearer.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Maybe partially the ski partially the approach (to the particular ski) of the driver.

Praxis protest is a burly ski. It has a turning radius of around 30! That's almost double the Rossi. It's going to love long fall line turns at high speeds. The faster you drive it the better it performs. Not as good in tight trees

The Rossi is going to be way softer and more maneuverable. Hence everyone else saying how well it preforms in trees and soft bumps. It's 17m turn radius is going to make it ski shorter and pivot quickly. But your not going to get the same feedback at high speeds and sometimes feel like it dies on you a little through big turns

I would think after a few days on it you will feel differently. You will start to develop muscle memory on how to drive the ski to its maximum potential.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would think after a few days on it you will feel differently. You will start to develop muscle memory on how to drive the ski to its maximum potential.

I haven't had many skis that I really liked in the long run that didn't feel pretty darn good from the first run or so. A good skier like you Pete shouldn't have to learn to accommodate a ski. If they don't work with your technique don't blame yourself, find a ski you have confidence in.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
I haven't had many skis that I really liked in the long run that didn't feel pretty darn good from the first run or so. A good skier like you Pete shouldn't have to learn to accommodate a ski. If they don't work with your technique don't blame yourself, find a ski you have confidence in.
True. I don't really want to say he bought the wrong ski before he at least gives it a few days. Not knowing the op or his abilities I don't know if he might have just bought to soft of a ski. I suspect so. I'm about the same height/weight 6"1 180 and skis like the Rossi feel like a noodle to me personally. I have a few pairs of praxis "big boys" with a high radius so I can kind of understand what he's saying about not being able to drive a soft ski the same way. The Rossi is such a popular ski IMO because your average 10-20 day a year guy dosent have the ability to dive a burly ski without getting thrown around, much more forgiving. If you do have the skills you will adjust and be able to ski it but probably will never feel as confident because of its lack of stability at speed

If that makes sense