• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Marin: I am 5' ~11" 195-200 lbs.

What PhilPug said in post #4 above is the shape and flex you should look for in a powder ski.

I have the old Rossignol Super7 in 195cm for deep powder (basically for cat skiing). They are big floppy clown shoes which will go over everything including snow covered logs. Generally you ski powder right up to the cat. For resort deep powder, once the powder gets chopped and lumped up on the trail down to the lift, they suck. On hard snow they will carve due to the camber under foot, but you really don't hook up the tip or tail in a carve. Because they are so wide, they put pressure on my inside ankle bone on the boot on hard snow. A wider ski is better in powder because it skis more on top and thus is faster on powder which allows you to ski less steep terrain. And because it is on top, it is easier to turn. Remember "Soft snow is slow snow." So, in powder you will benefit from a wider, longer, and softer ski to stay on top to stay fast.

I recently purchased the mens' DPS Wailer Alchemist 100RP in 184cm and used them for five days at Alta/Snowbird and five days at Deer Valley and one day at Kirkwood before all the resorts were shut. The Wailer is narrower than my Super7. They have a different tip shape than the Super7. They ski really well in powder but they are better in the chopped and lumpy crud down to the lift. On hard pack, they also carve way way way better than the Super7. On the Wailer, the tip and tail actually hook up in a carve. Since they are narrower than my Super7, they don't pressure my ankle bone like the Super7. But they are wide enough for resort powder.

I just bought my wife the DPS Yvette Alchemist 100RP in 163cm, which is the women's version of mens' Wailer. Due to the resort closures, she has not skied it yet. My wife also has the Rossignol W7 for deep powder skiing, but her Volkl Kenja is her daily driver. It has a stiffer and squared off tail which makes it better for carving but not as good for bumps. It also does not have the narrower tail, which the Wailer/Yvette has which is better for powder because the tail sinks in lower than the tip which avoids the all too common "apparent necessity" to lean back and burn your thighs in powder to keep the tips up. I am interested to see what she thinks of the Yvette A100RP.

They are wider than the skis you are asking about, but not as wide as powder skis can be. Just something different to consider.

Last edited:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
This thread is interesting. Back in 2016, the Rossi Soul 7 was like the hottest ski going.

I believe the world's best selling ski at that time and that ski single handedly turned around Rossi's fortunes. Rossi was quite literally on their ass as they had not been doing well under prior ownership of Quicksilver until that ski came along.

Fast forward to a few years ago, and suddenly Soul 7 sales are ice cold.

It just goes to show you, demo skis if you can.

Sentiment on the Soul 7 went from world beater to completely sucks as for now it seems burlier skis are more in fashion. Skiers also figured out that ski isn't the best as a daily driver as it is more of a pow ski.

Without knowing what kinds of skis you like, it's hard to tell if the Soul 7 is for you. But I wouldn't automatically write it off now just because sentiment on it has turned cold. Like I said, just four ago it was the hottest ski in the world.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
When the Soul 7 was the hottest ski, I demoed and couldn’t wait to get them off my boots and demo something else. Given typical PNW conditions, it seemed to me to be the wrong tool for everything. However lots of people skied them. I guess people buy whatever is the hot ski.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
When the Soul 7 was the hottest ski, I demoed and couldn’t wait to get them off my boots and demo something else. Given typical PNW conditions, it seemed to me to be the wrong tool for everything. However lots of people skied them. I guess people buy whatever is the hot ski.
I think ski preference is much more fashion oriented than many think. A lot of people only get out a handful of times a year, and haven't spent any time demoing and hence end up buying the hot ski not being educated enough to buy anything else.

But in 2016, I saw Soul 7s on some ski patrollers during hardpack days, showing that even experienced skiers are highly influenced by flavor of the day.

Edit: Even myself, I wonder how much the brand/label influences what I think of a ski. Would I like my MX89s as much if they were not premium priced and made by Fisher instead of Kastle or if a lot of good skiers told me those skis sucked?

Last edited:

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
I think ski preference is much more fashion oriented than many think. A lot of people only get out a handful of times a year, and haven't spent any time demoing and hence end up buying the hot ski not being educated enough to buy anything else.

But in 2016, I saw Soul 7s on some ski patrollers during hardpack days, showing that even experienced skiers are highly influenced by flavor of the day.

Edit: Even myself, I wonder how much the brand/label influences what I think of a ski. Would I like my MX89s as much if they were not premium priced and made by Fisher instead of Kastle or if a lot of good skiers told me those skis sucked?

Couldn’t agree more and have fallen into this trap before. A good demo day is worth its weight in gold. I got a super cheap pair of sick day 125s for cat skiing outside whitewater. I thought i needed a big ski but was way out of my depth with them. I ski a pair of ispeeds on the east and just upgraded to enforcer 104s for trees and out west. The 400 i spent on skis and bindings for that trip would have better applied to another day of cat skiing than buying what i thought i needed. Wound up given the lead guide the skis as a tip.
Demo days got my brothers on qst 106s and nomads lite 105s, skis they prob wouldn’t have picked up if the hadn’t tried them on demo and they love them.
And sadly i feel myself falling into the trap again wanting boats for a heli trip in alaska but gonna fight the urge to get a pair of wailers 112s on clearance and ride the enforcer 104s....unless i should grab them lol

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Couldn’t agree more and have fallen into this trap before. A good demo day is worth its weight in gold. I got a super cheap pair of sick day 125s for cat skiing outside whitewater. I thought i needed a big ski but was way out of my depth with them. I ski a pair of ispeeds on the east and just upgraded to enforcer 104s for trees and out west. The 400 i spent on skis and bindings for that trip would have better applied to another day of cat skiing than buying what i thought i needed. Wound up given the lead guide the skis as a tip.
Demo days got my brothers on qst 106s and nomads lite 105s, skis they prob wouldn’t have picked up if the hadn’t tried them on demo and they love them.
And sadly i feel myself falling into the trap again wanting boats for a heli trip in alaska but gonna fight the urge to get a pair of wailers 112s on clearance and ride the enforcer 104s....unless i should grab them lol
While I usually advise demoing based on my personal experience, I think for a heli trip in Alaska you might enjoy being on a wider ski than a 104. Heli trips to Alaska aren't cheap, so in this case I think it's worth buying a wider ski for that trip even if you don't demo. The cost of a ski relative to the cost of the trip isn't hugely material and could mean a big difference for you. I mean I don't know, but I'd hate for you to feel like going on African safari and you didn't bring any other camera but your standard camera phone. Maybe bring tour trusted enforcer 104 and new wider ski so you can fall back to the 104 if you don't dig the wider ski?

A lot of people swear by the wailers. Another thread alerted me to Praxis summer sale going on for custom build at $499. I am going to give that a try myself. So Praxis summer custom sale another option in addition to the wailer on special you are seeing. You can personally talk to the owner Keith at Praxis about your skiing, what you like, and a ski for your Alaska heli skiing and he could help with a suggested Praxis build.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Sentiment on the Soul 7 went from world beater to completely sucks as for now it seems burlier skis are more in fashion. Skiers also figured out that ski isn't the best as a daily driver as it is more of a pow ski.

The Soul 7 doesnt suck at all, it just sucks for charging, heavier skiers that like to ski fast no matter the conditions. Most people aspire to ski like that so they want a ski for how they aspire to ski not how they really ski.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
While I usually advise demoing based on my personal experience, I think for a heli trip in Alaska you might enjoy being on a wider ski than a 104. Heli trips to Alaska aren't cheap, so in this case I think it's worth buying a wider ski for that trip even if you don't demo. The cost of a ski relative to the cost of the trip isn't hugely material and could mean a big difference for you. I mean I don't know, but I'd hate for you to feel like going on African safari and you didn't bring any other camera but your standard camera phone. Maybe bring tour trusted enforcer 104 and new wider ski so you can fall back to the 104 if you don't dig the wider ski?

A lot of people swear by the wailers. Another thread alerted me to Praxis summer sale going on for custom build at $499. I am going to give that a try myself. So Praxis summer custom sale another option in addition to the wailer on special you are seeing. You can personally talk to the owner Keith at Praxis about your skiing, what you like, and a ski for your Alaska heli skiing and he could help with a suggested Praxis build.
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually followed your lead and ordered 2 GPOs for myself and my brother. Couldn’t get over how much time Keith was willing to spend to make sure we got the right ski. Now just need to somehow wait for winter.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Thanks for the recommendation. I actually followed your lead and ordered 2 GPOs for myself and my brother. Couldn’t get over how much time Keith was willing to spend to make sure we got the right ski. Now just need to somehow wait for winter.
Nice!! And I learned about the Praxis deal via @Ron that's the magic of this site when people can build off of each other.

Can't wait to compare notes with you on the GPOs which I also ordered. Nothing as epic as Alaskan heli skiing for me just yet, but hopefully some lines in the Wasatch will allow us to compare notes.

Glad you went for it. Given the Praxis sale and an epic upcoming Alaskan heli trip without a ski wider than 104 in your quiver, I don't think you'll regret it. Even if you ultimately prefer the Enforcer, you won't be left with that whatif feeling on your trip.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Soul 7 are the pinnacle of design and technology.
0C58BF28-AEE3-4EE2-A52C-293822C1F1AC.jpeg

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Nice!! And I learned about the Praxis deal via @Ron that's the magic of this site when people can build off of each other.

Can't wait to compare notes with you on the GPOs which I also ordered. Nothing as epic as Alaskan heli skiing for me just yet, but hopefully some lines in the Wasatch will allow us to compare notes.

Glad you went for it. Given the Praxis sale and an epic upcoming Alaskan heli trip without a ski wider than 104 in your quiver, I don't think you'll regret it. Even if you ultimately prefer the Enforcer, you won't be left with that whatif feeling on your trip.
221750B8-E02D-4B73-BFE4-DD14DF28F227.jpeg

just came in can’t get over how light they are pair on right ultra light build left endoro core w/ carbon fiber and oak veneer. Thanks again for the recommendation. both Praxis GPOs

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
View attachment 107066
just came in can’t get over how light they are pair on right ultra light build left endoro core w/ carbon fiber and oak veneer. Thanks again for the recommendation. both Praxis GPOs
My GPO also came in a couple of days ago. Same, can't wait to try mine out. Like yours, I'm really happy with how they look. I have the regular enduro core and I also noticed how light it felt. Will be fun to get them out on snow and get them to use.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
My GPO also came in a couple of days ago. Same, can't wait to try mine out. Like yours, I'm really happy with how they look. I have the regular enduro core and I also noticed how light it felt. Will be fun to get them out on snow and get them to use.
sad to say but the first snow they touch will be indoor at BigSnow in NJ....lol want to put skins on them and loop the massive 160’ vertical they have

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for the recommendation on the GPOs. Have taken them to Big Snow in NJ. (Indoor ski area). and was floored by how well a 119 underfoot handles a hard pack groomer. the hill is only about 400’ but was able to get about a 20’ turn radius w/out much speed. Also they are great off jumps. I mounted solomon shifts 1cm back from the line. Hope you have gotten a chance to get yours on snow.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for the recommendation on the GPOs. Have taken them to Big Snow in NJ. (Indoor ski area). and was floored by how well a 119 underfoot handles a hard pack groomer. the hill is only about 400’ but was able to get about a 20’ turn radius w/out much speed. Also they are great off jumps. I mounted solomon shifts 1cm back from the line. Hope you have gotten a chance to get yours on snow.
Unfortunately I'm sitting this year out for a few reasons and spending the season in New Zealand where it is summer. So going to have to wait a while before I can try out the GPOs. Super happy to hear you like them so far!!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January