• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
What would be better for Powder , Elan ripstick 86 or Head Monster 83?

I am not big fan of Powder ,but like to have second pair of the skis for one of those days and do not need anything wider then 86 .

Thank you .

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you are not a big fan of powder, then why buy some skis for powder?

Are you:
  1. Looking at these two skis for other reasons and just want to know which one is better for occasional powder skiing?
  2. Trying to find a ski to help you enjoy powder more than your existing pair? (What is the existing pair?)
  3. Or some other scenario?
What kind of slopes and what kind of powder? The "powder" on Mt Hood is significantly different than the powder at Steamboat.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It wasn't all too long ago that 78mm underfoot was a powder ski. Remember the Volkl Snowranger? Between these two skis, the Elan will be a better soft/3 dimensional snow ski. the tip is a littleless aggressive, there is more taper in the tail and a more compliant flex.

Jack Lake

Putting on skis
Skier
Earliest ones i can remember were the Head Hot S2's. Not powder skis perse, but memories! So funny. AHH, technology, so much better now.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Neither, if you're talking about more than 4 or 5 inches.
I would not agree with this , My existing Fisher The Curv GT , pure carving skis can handle very good 10-12 inches of the powder . So I would expect those 2 will do much deeper.

TS
Marin

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
If you are not a big fan of powder, then why buy some skis for powder?

Are you:
  1. Looking at these two skis for other reasons and just want to know which one is better for occasional powder skiing?
  2. Trying to find a ski to help you enjoy powder more than your existing pair? (What is the existing pair?)
  3. Or some other scenario?
What kind of slopes and what kind of powder? The "powder" on Mt Hood is significantly different than the powder at Steamboat.
I still love to do time to time Powder skiing , but Carving is my #1 .

1. I just want to know which one is better , they are pretty cheap now at Sun and Ski , I do not need anything special, and I like Elan , it looks like they are good in Powder and Groomers as well( and Phil suggested Elan).
Kind of need combination ski , that can do Powder and later a day I can hit groomer .
2. Existing Fisher The Curv GT, pure Carving skis , but like I mention above , they handle 10-12 Inch of the powder very good.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I meant what do you define as good handling for a carving ski in 10 - 12 inches of powder?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not a powder guy, but from what I have seen people do, aren't the powder ski supposed to be like 105 mm wide...like...at least?

BTW, what is the general opinion of Rossi Soul 7? I can have a rather decent deal on them from one of the online stores I frequent.
My idea is to pair them with Shift binding so I can walk up the mountain, for who knows, perhaps next year we will have Covid 19 S Plus, better safe eh?

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If there's a bottom to work off of, or even a "dynamic" bottom of dense, heavy powder, I have found that any thing over 85 only produces diminishing returns. If it's truly bottomless, absolutely you need phat stix, flex depending on personal taste. Granted, in the BC you're never quite sure what you'll encounter, so wide is probably wise, until Spring corn season anyway

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BTW, what is the general opinion of Rossi Soul 7? I can have a rather decent deal on them from one of the online stores I frequent.
My idea is to pair them with Shift binding so I can walk up the mountain, for who knows, perhaps next year we will have Covid 19 S Plus, better safe eh?

I looked up the weight of the Soul 7, 2000 grams for the 188 cm. That's heavy for a dedicated touring ski. Mine is 1730 grams and has shifts on it. That feels plenty heavy for a long tour.

As an occasional touring ski that will also be a excellent resort soft snow / powder ski, it seems pretty ideal. I love the shifts and highly recommend them.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Neither, if you're talking about more than 4 or 5 inches.

Ive used my Monster 88's in a lot more than that and they were Fun BUT, I had to go fast and just carve away consistently no matter what. Edge to edge all the time. Try to get cute and try to heel push or pivot and these skis WILL spank you in short order.

So, bottom line its more about the ski technique than the skis per se when skiing powder in anything other than skis made for powder. You will be more IN the snow than on it.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where are you skiing?

Mostly Tahoe; some Mammoth, Utah and Idaho. No BC, all resort. I no longer storm chase, so when I do encounter deep fresh snow it tends to be consolidated on a firm base. Back when I first really embraced powder, my go tos were the first gen Viole Mountain Surf and a pair of Gerry Launchers (88 waist and super soft) - full immersion was fun! Last really big powder ski was a soft pair of Iggy FFFs, which was about as far into the whole stay-on-top trend as I was able to go; they still liked to porpoise enough to keep me happy. Also had a pair of first gen Gotamas, but hated the square kicked up tail and they were a little too stiff, so when to the Iggys (wider but softer). I guess I would count my self in the width has it's place but design and flex are equally if not more important.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ive used my Monster 88's in a lot more than that and they were Fun BUT, I had to go fast and just carve away consistently no matter what. Edge to edge all the time. Try to get cute and try to heel push or pivot and these skis WILL spank you in short order.

So, bottom line its more about the ski technique than the skis per se when skiing powder in anything other than skis made for powder. You will be more IN the snow than on it.
I beg to differ. They can absolutely be skied slowly. If they can't, they're much too stiff, too long, poor boot fit, problematic tune, or lack of proficient piloting.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
BTW, what is the general opinion of Rossi Soul 7?
Based on what you can read on internet, I assume everyone hates them. Personally I really love them, especially for touring, and especially after I changed bindings for ultralight Look ST10 (in reality Dynafit Speed Turn 2.0 in Look colors) and mount them way back. They are super light, they handle backcountry great (at least for me), but when going with lifts for deep lift served powder, I still prefer Super7 (longer, beefier, harder, and more stable at high speed and more aggressive skiing). But for touring, Soul7 is in my opinion great ski, even if everyone hates them.

Sponsor

Staff online