• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all, hope everyone is hanging in there!

I’m considering not buying Ikon passes this season. We might just do one week, around Presidents’ Day. Thinking of Powder Mountain and Grand Targhee.

Anyone have an idea of costs of a 4 or 8 days pass at those places, when bought in ~November?

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Just a thought -- but if you're willing to split time between places (i.e. you have a car and need a rest day after 3 days) -- there are a bunch of smaller indy resorts that sell season passes with 3 partner days each at those two places.

The upshot is if you may be able to hit another spot in the same trip -- or sneak in a long weekend at some other point in the season. Monarch and Loveland both come to mind. Both of those passes are around $4-450 this upcoming season I suspect.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmeb , good idea, some places here in the Midwest have done that too in the past.

chopchop

so many skis, so little time
Skier
This past season at PM you could get tix for ~$72 per day if you downloaded an app. Ticket window was ~$93-94. I don't recall if they offered multi-day discounts.

marjoram_sage

newly addicted to skiing
Skier
I looked up the pass price for PM. $990 for first time! That's really high and probably guarantees that it will be an uncrowded place.

Targhee is on Mountain Collective so that makes things easy.

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
As @jmeb says, partner mountain passes may be what you want. Little (and awesome!) Ski Cooper has a heap of partnerships with their $450ish pass. These include 3 days each at PowMow and nearby Nordic Valley, aka The Bump You Pass Between Ogden and PowMow. Use the 3 at PowMow, 1 at Nordic then maybe find a 1 day deal for Snowbasin for a 5/7 Ogden area ski week. The Cooper pass also includes Bogus in ID and Storm King, the twn hill in Jackson, WY if you are interested in going further into the Intermountain West.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the replies! It’s really annoying that the resorts don’t list their ticket prices at the moment, not even the current(past) season.

Usually I’m looking for about 8 days of skiing in a week. one or more of those could be backcountry touring as well.

I think I would fly in and out of SLC.

Has anyone seen when these smaller resorts do their pass sale? I know Mt Bohemia has had a partner deal with Targhee in the past, and their sale is December.

Part of this is not wanting to spend money on Ikon passes right now, in our current financial situation. At the same time, I’d not want to end up spending (much) more than for Ikon ($700/adult, $170/kid)

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I think fly into SLC -> drive Driggs -> ski Targhee / backcountry for 4 days -> drive to Ogden -> Ski PowMow/backcountry sounds like a great trip. Does everyone in your group ski backcountry?

Luv just put out their season pass prices. $440 for adults, $190 for kids. Those prices are valid until Dec 1 2020.

Most (all?) Targhee partner days require staying in Targhee lodging. But that isn't all bad as it's pretty fairly priced and right at the hill. Driggs is a cool town.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the replies! It’s really annoying that the resorts don’t list their ticket prices at the moment, not even the current(past) season.

Usually I’m looking for about 8 days of skiing in a week. one or more of those could be backcountry touring as well.

I think I would fly in and out of SLC. If you can do 8 days skiing in a week you probably don't need a plane

Has anyone seen when these smaller resorts do their pass sale? I know Mt Bohemia has had a partner deal with Targhee in the past, and their sale is December.

Part of this is not wanting to spend money on Ikon passes right now, in our current financial situation. At the same time, I’d not want to end up spending (much) more than for Ikon ($700/adult, $170/kid)

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Turoa Kiwi ,
yep, that is correct. my kids have a “week” of vacation. Leave Friday night or Saturday morning, ski 9 days, fly home Sunday evening. :ogbiggrin:

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think fly into SLC -> drive Driggs -> ski Targhee / backcountry for 4 days -> drive to Ogden -> Ski PowMow/backcountry sounds like a great trip. Does everyone in your group ski backcountry?

Most (all?) Targhee partner days require staying in Targhee lodging. But that isn't all bad as it's pretty fairly priced and right at the hill. Driggs is a cool town.

In February we always go with another family, who do not bc ski, but they only get a few days over Presidents weekend, so thinking of doing Pow Mow with them for 4 days, then 3 or 4 days at Targhee with just my wife and girls, who all backcountry ski, so if a ticket deal only gave us 3 days at Targhee, we would do day of touring as well. (Assuming we can find some safe terrain, February is not know for it’s stable snowpack).

I had seen that lodging thing about Targhee as well In the past. Makes it less of a good deal, since they also offer ticket/lodging deals anyway.

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier

Luv just put out their season pass prices. $440 for adults, $190 for kids. Those prices are valid until Dec 1 2020.

Looking at Loveland's pass partner days, looks like no Targhee for 20/21 (or that deal hasn't been worked out/finalized yet)...

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Targhee is not on Copper's list of partners next season either. I just figured it was because they joined the Mountain Collective. Maybe they will still have a partner deal.

@Slim you are probably right about the ticket/lodging deals. I can give you what the cost was for this season using the Copper pass partnership. 1 bedroom condo at the Teton Creek condos for 3 nights was $622 and some change. Total. Not a bad deal at all. Teton Creek is between Targhee and town

Sponsor

Staff online