• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Powder Mountain Article

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I believe the Powder Mountain Road is a 14% grade with many steeper sections. So steep, that I think I heard that school buses are not allowed. So steep, that I had transmission and clutch issues along with brakes during the 3 years that I drove it 20 or 30 days. I never had these kind of problems with previous vehicles & I always descended slowly and carefully. Two of my scariest white knuckle drives in my lifetime of snow driving were coming down that hill :eek: !
Take the bus ogsmile .

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A rather strange article. Of all the ski resorts in the west struggling to balance overcrowding, affordable housing for locals and overdevelopment, Powder mountain seems to be the least problematic.
Some things that come to mind:
  • According to all reports, and the ticket cap, it’s still about the least crowded, large resort in the entire western US.
  • Expensive home development: unlike at other mountain towns, these houses are not being built or bought in a town where working class people need to live, which is the problem in just about every other ski resort. They are on top of a mountain!
  • It’s a bit above my price range, but a 2 million dollar home and a RAV4 are hardly the ‘upper 10%’ these days
  • Unlike many other ski resorts out west, this is private land. Not a whole lot to complain about there.
I say all this as someone with fairly left-leaning political views regarding public acces, affordable housing and environmental protection. it just seems that of all places in the western US, this is one of the least problematic sites.

I agree that we can and should question water usage and development in natural areas, but that discussion plays out all over the country.