• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Powder Magazine...Back from the Dead (updated title)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Powder...dead.jpg

2020 does not seem to want to let up. One of the characteristics of this awful year is that it is accelerating some inevitable happenings like the transition from print media to digital media.

A360Media has announced the suspension of Surfer Magazine and smart money is saying that Powder and the other publications under the umbrella are not far behind with the end of November being when the doors are closing.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
"The internet has changed almost everything, giving cyclists or skiers or surfers a bottomless soupbowl of “content.” But it has not changed the special magic that happens when a group of passionate, talented editors, writers, and photographers pour their hearts and souls into telling stories designed to stand the test of time."

Impossible to say it better than that. They created truly awesome content. They made art. End of an era for sure. :(

So much garbage content out there that is measured by "likes". A lot of good content goes under the radar if the "algorithms" do not put them in your feed.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We lost some posts here after the roll back of the site upgrade.
Please feel free to post your comments again.
IIRC @Erik Timmerman posted something quite enlightening about the magazines he used to subscribe to and what subscriptions draw today.
This is the press release from AMI shutting down Transworld Snowboard last year.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Very sorry to see this. Not surprised. I still enjoy sitting and reading a print magazine, and Powder is one. The print version of Ski Racing, long dead, was another. Car magazines, other sports magazines. I realize that I'm a dinosaur, but still, I miss it. I read books, too. I don't use a Kindle. Progress. Understandable.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So what happens to the e-subscription one might have for Powder? Asking for a friend......

edit:
Nevermind, I actually followed the link and saw that electronic versions are also shut down. :(:nono:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Fair comment there. We need to get behind the remaining magazines if we want them to survive. Time for me to subscribe to Ski Magazine

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Fair comment there. We need to get behind the remaining magazines if we want them to survive. Time for me to subscribe to Ski Magazine
Sorry, but you need to support the good publications. Please read their ski reviews, specifically the "Frontside Skis" before you decide to give them money.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
"RIP Pow" means something different today than it will in February. The photos and production values made for works of art.

Sorry, but you need to support the good publications. Please read their ski reviews, specifically the "Frontside Skis" before you decide to give them money.

Any suggestions, Phil?

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Done and thanks for the prompt as it had been a while. Still, I do like a print publication from time to time, tho...... I guess that I'm just a dinosaur.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Done and thanks for the prompt as it had been a while. Still, I do like a print publication from time to time, tho...... I guess that I'm just a dinosaur.
We appreciate and we appreciate that you appreciate the work we do. This year has been tough on everyone.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah. Time for those of us who can to stand up.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Move this thread to "Industry News" forum area?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Was a religious reader when they started. Time to show them some love, guilty of not subscribing for a long time.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With Powder Magazine's "pay to play" model for thier ski test, I am sure manufacturers are pissed that tehy paid thousand for reviews only not to get them published, at lease they are not up as of this point.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s far from perfect. But it’s the only mainstream ski magazine left. Skiers Journal, fine as it is, will never fill a similar niche.

Anyway I tried to subscribe but couldn’t - not sure what’s going on there.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid