• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, I have a pair of old Rossi Super7's that I found for very cheap online that I use on the occasional powder day over, say, 5". But the truth is...I don't really like them all that much. They seem overly light and "poingy", and while they float well, they don't really crush the crud that is left over by 11:00. I have bad knees and I need some isolation from surface irregularities. So...I'm wondering if folks have a recommendation for a good powder ski that is a bit more damp, stable, solid...while still being pretty quick and surfy. Older models are fine, since I'm planning on trolling eBay and other places for used and cheap.

FWIW, I have a pair of Fischer Motive 95's that I like a lot, and a pair of Kastle MX78's, so I guess I tend towards the carvy end of the spectrum. But the real goal is a ski that feels more damp and solid without going to the "freight train" end of the spectrum. Thoughts?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Enforcer 110 sounds right up your alley. I'm demoing a pair on Saturday since my Atris Birdies are almost living up to expectation, and I'm thinking they'll perform a little better in crud.

Sick Day 114 would also be a solid choice for what you want, likewise for the Ranger 108 or 115.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, I have a pair of Fischer Motive 95's that I like a lot........the real goal is a ski that feels more damp and solid without going to the "freight train" end of the spectrum. Thoughts?

Same here on the Motive 95s. Still not sure I like my new Enforcers more. The Enforcers are certainly a bit easier, and also certainly a bit less rewarding in the feel of the turn finish, and less exciting on groomers.

Anyhoo, I added a pair of Ranger 115s to the quiver this year, and I love them. They just ski like a big, fat "normal" ski. Very carvy feeling. My fourth pow skis ever, and the first pair I've even come close to loving. So if you like the Motive 95s, I suspect the Rangers would suit you to a T.

On sale now all over the place.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I was actually going to recommend a Motive 95. I think it is a bit better at handling crud than its replacement, the MTN 95 due to the different tip profile (Motive was more favorable to busting through crud, IMO). Given you're skiing in the North East, I'd also consider the Head Monster 88 and 98 (though 98 may be overkill).

My current weapon of choice once things are cut up and rough is a 178 MTN 95 (I sold both of my motives unfortunately).

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Someone else mentioned the Enforcer 110 but I think the 100s are the perfect ski for any day under a 12"+ pow day. My 100s have been quiver killers, I have a hard time riding any other ski these days.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nordica el capos kill it. The enforcers are the descendant of those.

Lots of people at the gathering were riding the 108 volkl and seemed to have fun.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
OK, I have a pair of old Rossi Super7's that I found for very cheap online that I use on the occasional powder day over, say, 5". But the truth is...I don't really like them all that much. They seem overly light and "poingy", and while they float well, they don't really crush the crud that is left over by 11:00. I have bad knees and I need some isolation from surface irregularities. So...I'm wondering if folks have a recommendation for a good powder ski that is a bit more damp, stable, solid...while still being pretty quick and surfy. Older models are fine, since I'm planning on trolling eBay and other places for used and cheap.

FWIW, I have a pair of Fischer Motive 95's that I like a lot, and a pair of Kastle MX78's, so I guess I tend towards the carvy end of the spectrum. But the real goal is a ski that feels more damp and solid without going to the "freight train" end of the spectrum. Thoughts?

I demoed a bunch of OneOhSomething

https://www.pugski.com/threads/demo-day-at-loveland-tested-10-pairs-of-skis.7095/

Also really liked the Rustler 10's (104mm width 188cm long). Superb all day resort powder ski unless its crazy deep. Really nice on the groomers as well. Fun ski.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As much as I like the DPS Zelda 106, I'd say give the Wailer 106 a shot.
The Foundation line should give you the feeling you are missing from the Soul 7

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’m really thinking about getting a new pair of 2016 soul 7’s in a 188, something REALLY EASY and likes to make a lot of short turns in somewhat heavy snow.
It would just be for the first day of the storm cycle, I know it sounds a little unusual but being 55 and a weekend warrior fatigue is really starting to effect me.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
First one that came to mind when reading your post was the Völkl 100-eight. Not far behind that thought was the Enforcer 110.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
I really like my Dynastar Cham 107s. A great shape along with a layer of metal. I'm not sure if this year's Legends have the same feel though.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
See if you can find a pair of Stockli SR 107s.
It appears that model is a bit more surfy than the latest generation 95 / 105 which seems to have swung back to be a tad stiffer again.

Have heard nothing but great reviews of the DPS 107 alchemist, that’s next for me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rangers are also available in a 108 width, if 115 seems excessive.

Personally, I've got a couple pair of 95-100 skis, so the jump to 115 seems logical.

My favorite thing about the Rangers is they ski like a regular, carvy ski that just happens to be wide.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I’m really thinking about getting a new pair of 2016 soul 7’s in a 188, something REALLY EASY and likes to make a lot of short turns in somewhat heavy snow.
It would just be for the first day of the storm cycle, I know it sounds a little unusual but being 55 and a weekend warrior fatigue is really starting to effect me.

Then get a ski with full rocker. I though the Volkl 100Right were super easy and quick (181cm) but not floppy. Great combination.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a ski with full rocker but it has a lot of balls , I want my one day powder ski to be floppy and kind of nervous and twitchy, fits my style and type of powder days,,,,,,I’ll just keep making turns and not have to worry about a floppy front end , let that Rossi do what it likes to do !!!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Nordica el capos kill it. The enforcers are the descendant of those.

Lots of people at the gathering were riding the 108 volkl and seemed to have fun.

Capos you can still find them new. Float really well in powder for me at 200lb, I actually prefer them in powder over my Patrons.....and vastly prefer them in heavier snow, groomers, crud, and chopped up, and they pivot really well in bumps and trees.

http://nordicaskioutlet.com/product.php?lang=en&scat=11&season=2&product=10146121

279 dollars plus shipping for new one. Who cares about the latest and greatest El Capos are amoung the best wide all mountain skis ever made IMO.

Here are 2 videos of me on them.

Choppy powder in early season trees.

hard packed bumps

I have skied ton of the other skis in this thread.

First Soul 7 are awful for resort usage. They fold to easily under heavy guys in chop, hardpack and crud.

Enforcer110 is better in powder than the Capo but doesnt feel as slippery in weird funky snow, chop, crud and tight places.

Volkl 108 are pretty good, gives up edge grip and dampness to the El Capo, but is actually slipperier in tight places, and pretty equal in 3d snow.

Rustler 10/11 better on groomers, but maybe not as stable as the Capo. Not as good in funk.

but all of that doesnt matter all of those skis are double the price of the Capo.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well I’m not heavy , wouldn’t ever ski them in hard pak and the day would probably be over before it turned to real crud, just fresh Sierra snow and easy turns.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Capos you can still find them new. Float really well in powder for me at 200lb, I actually prefer them in powder over my Patrons.....and vastly prefer them in heavier snow, groomers, crud, and chopped up, and they pivot really well in bumps and trees.

http://nordicaskioutlet.com/product.php?lang=en&scat=11&season=2&product=10146121

279 dollars plus shipping for new one. Who cares about the latest and greatest El Capos are amoung the best wide all mountain skis ever made IMO.

Here are 2 videos of me on them.

Choppy powder in early season trees.

hard packed bumps

I have skied ton of the other skis in this thread.

First Soul 7 are awful for resort usage. They fold to easily under heavy guys in chop, hardpack and crud.

Enforcer110 is better in powder than the Capo but doesnt feel as slippery in weird funky snow, chop, crud and tight places.

Volkl 108 are pretty good, gives up edge grip and dampness to the El Capo, but is actually slipperier in tight places, and pretty equal in 3d snow.

Rustler 10/11 better on groomers, but maybe not as stable as the Capo. Not as good in funk.

but all of that doesnt matter all of those skis are double the price of the Capo.
I didnt realize the capo was still availabke for those prices. I can use a spare pair.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January