• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Potatoes vs. Energy Gels?!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a long-time user of energy gels, I found this fascinating:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/study-finds-potatoes-as-effective-as-energy-gels.html

Doubly so because I do not dislike potatoes!
I've been tossing around the idea of trying honey instead of Hammer Gel. I will say that using Hammer Gel has helped me not bonk on longer rides like I used to.
Potatoes--what, would you make mashed potatoes and put them in a squeeze bag?? Also, are they concentrated enough?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Did you read the study? And then the studies that the original study referenced? Basing decisions on popular media articles which references peer reviewed scientific journal studies rarely provides insight.

One study with 12 subjects doesn’t provide enough data points.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
I have been having great success with medjool dates (Costco) as my energy bar/gel.... complemented with dry roasted almonds (again... Costco). both easy and effective... have replaced commercial gels/bars for me completely..... because it works great..... at least for me..... I've had potatoes on organized rides, which are great at the feed stops..... but I couldn't imagine carrying them (nor preparing them) daily..... ymmv.....

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Potatoes--what, would you make mashed potatoes and put them in a squeeze bag?? Also, are they concentrated enough?

They are BUT - did you notice the bloating alert?

Second question - have you ever exceeded the 300kcal/hour max with other carbs?

Yes, that's right, undigested CHOs make beer farts. And you're far more likely to have undigested material with potatoes than with gels - because gels are made that way on purpose.

So basically we have a potato puree (read: cold nasty mashies) which, when it's hit by stomach acid, makes exactly the same short-chain CHOs as those gels have, and which also has a high risk of malabsorption with consequent bloating and gas. Why would you? as @LouD-Truckee points out, there are far better options even if you're staying 'natural'.

On the other hand, every one of the cycling rags publishes "make your own energy bars" and a regular entry therein is - potatoes. I'm all for those in a back pocket. Cut into skin-on-wedges, seethed in bouillon, then baked to golden and wrapped in paper-backed deli foil...YUM and a salt fix too.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Yes, that's right, undigested CHOs make beer farts. And you're far more likely to have undigested material with potatoes than with gels - because gels are made that way on purpose.

So basically we have a potato puree (read: cold nasty mashies) which, when it's hit by stomach acid, makes exactly the same short-chain CHOs as those gels have, and which also has a high risk of malabsorption with consequent bloating and gas. Why would you? as @LouD-Truckee points out, there are far better options even if you're staying 'natural'.

On the other hand, every one of the cycling rags publishes "make your own energy bars" and a regular entry therein is - potatoes. I'm all for those in a back pocket. Cut into skin-on-wedges, seethed in bouillon, then baked to golden and wrapped in paper-backed deli foil...YUM and a salt fix too.

Keeping with the theme, you could chase those taters with a Siracha Mayo packet. ymmv

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's CX season. Embrocate the innards.

10849785_10205768544353243_7018862246018564016_n.jpg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I just read it LOL!
"The "proof of concept" test did have one downside for those using the potato puree... Bloating. In the Science Daily article Burd says that those using potatoes had "significantly more gastrointestinal bloating, pain and flatulence than the other groups." This is definitely a major downside and apparently it is caused by the large volume of potatoes needed to match the glucose provided by energy gels. So it doesn't look like we will be seeing any pro riders swapping out their gels for puree anytime soon."

I think I'll experiment with honey first. :roflmao:

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you read the study? And then the studies that the original study referenced? Basing decisions on popular media articles which references peer reviewed scientific journal studies rarely provides insight.

One study with 12 subjects doesn’t provide enough data points.

C'mon Marty, lighten up. You're retired, man! Also, I read and enjoyed your article about recovery drinks, which IIRC, had a sample size of one. ;)

Came SO close to making it down to Durango to ride with you this week, but unexpected events chased us home from Moab a week earlier than we had hoped. Next fall!

Yeah, but everybody lies about how often and how well they brush their teeth!

Keeping with the theme, you could chase those taters with a Siracha Mayo packet. ymmv

Life is just better with Siracha!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trader Joe's Maple Butter - 100% maple syrup whipped up. Surely there's a way to make candy from it, would be more portable.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Trader Joe's Maple Butter - 100% maple syrup whipped up. Surely there's a way to make candy from it, would be more portable.

Hard and soft maple candy is sold all over northern new england. There's also maple ice cream, maple custard, maple baked beans. Gets a little out of control.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
688C9269-1A0C-4B35-A5F1-F1E676C90196.jpeg

Reminded me of this thread.
Epic or not Hunter still makes a tasty chili and cheese baked potato. It’s just $9 now.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January