• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
[Re: free gas in CA]
Close, but small correction. The law is it is to be free for Kids (for bicycles or toys) and for customers who make a purchase of fuel. It is not free across the board.
The clerk is just doing you a favor like free napkin or free ketchup at McD, and not giving you a hard time to enforce you actually made a purchase. I bet they also didn't give you a hard time if you needed the restroom either. If you were a literal bum off the street in a rough neighborhood (like some stations with bank bulletproof shields for the cashier), it maybe a different story.

Most don't care about the negligible cost of the air/water/electricity. It's forcing this 1 human interaction to dissuade the free-riders from overusing the system and who'll smash up the nozzle/hose. Plus maybe you'll buy some snacks, which is where gas station profit comes from anyway.
Technically true, but I've never heard them ask if you've bought gas. Usually to busy to care & don't know if you used a credit card at the pump. .not sure if that's the case. I've heard ANY purchase- even a coke counts !

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
@geepers posted this on the Covid thread. could go here (or in the "you cant make this stuff up thread")

.Parisian café using giant teddy bears to ensure social distancing.
1593493256230.png

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
@geepers posted this on the Covid thread. could go here (or in the "you cant make this stuff up thread")

.Parisian café using giant teddy bears to ensure social distancing.
View attachment 105411
Glad you posted it here as it is more appropriate, I just commented on it in the COVID forum since it doesn't really apply there. I wrote the following to explain...It's a cute pic, and maybe a nice concept, but not really whats going on here. That guy bought a bunch of those bears about 2 years ago at Costco in Paris, created an instagram account, and poses them creatively around Paris as his "art" . This is just one of those posts of his. (coincidentally, I was actually walking into Costco when he was walking out with them and wondered what on earth he was doing with so many giant stuffed bears.)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Glad you posted it here as it is more appropriate, I just commented on it in the COVID forum since it doesn't really apply there. I wrote the following to explain...It's a cute pic, and maybe a nice concept, but not really whats going on here. That guy bought a bunch of those bears about 2 years ago at Costco in Paris, created an instagram account, and poses them creatively around Paris as his "art" . This is just one of those posts of his. (coincidentally, I was actually walking into Costco when he was walking out with them and wondered what on earth he was doing with so many giant stuffed bears.)
Trish's school's team was the Hyattsville Lions. I saw a giant human sized stuffed lion at a thrift store cheap. I brought it to her classroom.
When she retired they demanded the lion stay at school. lol. Its now in the principals office!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid