• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Post-ski nutrition

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
After that hard day on the hill, what does your nutrition look like afterwards to help aid your body in recovering to do it all over again the next day or so?

Me? Chocolate milk or hot cocoa right after; almonds/mixed nuts, a banana and apple soon after and a good balanced dinner later. Lots of water.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have some great AYCE sushi places.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tomato bisque and grilled cheese with avocado, tomato, and sprouts at Incline at Copper is my favorite. Usually a beer to wash it down.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Whatever is closest and easiest. Food.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
After that hard day on the hill, what does your nutrition look like afterwards to help aid your body in recovering to do it all over again the next day or so?

Me? Chocolate milk or hot cocoa right after; almonds/mixed nuts, a banana and apple soon after and a good balanced dinner later. Lots of water.

Water, Beer (or a Marg) and a Burger. No fries :D

TS
P

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Does anyone feel ravenous the next day and can’t seem to eat enough? I do

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Protein in the car ride back for the first 30 min. Could be protein bar or 3oz bag of jerky. Somehow nuts or chocolate doesn't work as well for me. Helps recovery and stops hunger until the "real" meal. Sugar items just seems to fuel the hunger rather than fend it off. Drink lots of water.

Afterwards, slightly larger than usual meal, but not by much. If on the road (daytrip) limit carbs to avoid carb crash. Typically burger or sandwich and a light drink. Will save the chips in the "meal" for later.

If staying close by, anything goes. +1 AYCE sushi.

All that said, don't eat too too much in order to sleep well to be ready for the next day.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Earlier you mentioned balanced meal. I suggest heavier on protein and fats. You're probably burning more than your used to. And, until your body adjusts to regularly expending and replenishing ( or until you become more efficient ;-), you'll need to overcompensate at the end of the day.

Do you snack periodically throughout the day? Something to consider if you don't already.

Good luck.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Agree with the protein recommendation above BUT if you are at all watching weight, don't eat more than you're used to as a 'recovery' meal.

First, dehydration often masks itself as hunger pangs, second the body overcompensates in hunger pangs for unaccustomed workouts.

If you are skiing two days or more in a row, you're better off shifting the 'above normal' extra calories to breakfast the next day - you will feel warmer and steadier during the day.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Nori-shio chips (world's best) and a beer, ideally followed later by venison (or beef) steak and a couple of glasses of a nebbiolo or aglianico wine.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always take two curried tuna salad sandwiches to the mountain. Eat one at lunch...and then one in the car on the way home, along with an iced tea for hydration and caffeine. It's become part of the ritual.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I typically ski in the AM and then run / ride in that afternoon. Post ski for me it is an apple, a small handful of almonds, and lots of liquid.

You can also subscribe to a service like InsideTracker so you don't have guess about your nutrition.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Easy to digest carbs and proteins work best. 3:1 or 4:1 carbs to protein ratio is what most endurance athletes shoot for post workout. Yogurt, shakes, smoothies, eggs and toast, etc., nothing large and heavy that's hard to digest. Wait a bit on the bigger meal after your body absorbs the snack or shake.

Jerky, nuts, etc are better for snacks throughout the day for slow consistent energy, but they are poor for quick absorption post workout/ski.

Now what I actually eat vs. what I should eat are two different things. On vacation, it's usually nachos and what ever local brew I can find. :)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I follow the avid cycling internist's suggestion that chocolate milk is a great refresher. I might add some pecans. The dentist told me to quit breaking teeth by chewing on almonds. I follow his advice because new crowns are expensive and not covered by Medicare:drool:

Sponsor