• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
This is a great bench. Holmenkol. You see a lot being used. Not super portable. They weigh a ton. But they are rock solid. Adapt to uneven flooring. Adapt to any ski length. Racks for skis and brushes.

I've worked on a lot of other portable benches. Beast, Swix, etc. IME, no comparison.

This is Artech's ad. They are pricey. We have three. Total cost for all three combined was a fraction of the current price here for one. If I were in the market, I would still buy this one. We have owned ours for 15+ years. They last.

http://www.artechski.com/holmenkol-tuning-bench-includes-ski-racks/
That looks really nice!

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
@Blue Streak If you only need the bench for one trip, Denver Sports Lab rents tuning benches.
No,I have no interest in renting a bench. To make a long story short, my living arrangements have changed, and I no longer have a large dedicated ski tuning area.
In the mountains I have a very nice tuning room where I keep most of my tools. But it would be nice to have a portable (i.e. easily stored) set up to take on the road or to use from time to time in town.
With each early snow, I get the itch for the taste of an IPA and the smell of hot wax. It's just a ritual.
Like my early morning ritual on the mountain is get into the employee lot early (to make sure I get a spot), enjoy the walk into the village, stop into the ski school room, make a pot of coffee, and take it with me to the tuning room, where every morning I check my edges put on a fresh coat of wax. I just love that routine!
As far as needing to tune on the road? No.
I just do what @crgildart does.
Now I just bring MORE SKIS and tune them again when I get back home.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
@Jacques
holmenkol_waxing_table_20720_21.jpg

Oh yea. That's awesome. Funny, I could not find that info. Still a lot of dough!

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I don't really have an answer for you but I do have some things to consider/questions.

Do you expect to do this inside or in the parking lot?
What type of tuning are you considering? Just waxing or touching up edges too.
If waxing, will you have power for an iron or will you just be rubbing on?
If waxing will you be brushing or using roto-brushes?

I'm asking these questions because the sturdiness requirements of the portable bench change based on the force you're going to apply. When scraping, rubbing and (hand) brushing, it is best to have a very sturdy bench that doesn't wiggle while you're trying to work. Scraping and rubbing don't require (at least for me) the sturdiness that brushing does, but if you're using a roto-brush, that goes away.

The bench in post # 44 would be much sturdier used in the snow than a parking lot because you could secure the feet.

I like the one that attaches to the bumper but like Jacques stated, it is much too low, unless you are good with working on your knees. I'm normal size (5'7") and that would kill my back. Maybe find one of those height adjusters they have for hitches and see if you can bring it up some. It would lose some rigidness though.

I've also have seen trailer hitch bike racks that could probably easily modified.

Another thing to consider is making sure your tools are clean and sharp to lessen any forces you need to use (i.e. scraping) and have your skis in perfect condition ahead of time to minimize the amount of touching up you might need to do.

For rubbing on wax, I like this:
waxwizard.279162234_std.png

Works very well but it is difficult to get hard wax done correctly. It's Ray's Way WaxWhizard tool. I've found I can just rub on and brush off. Not as good as hot waxing but it good for a day of skiing.

Have fun,
Ken

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Back up to a "Down and out" motel room.
This.
image.jpeg

One of these
image.jpeg

My tall, sturdy tailgate (which is covered with a rubber mat).
Problem solved.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
For a mobile set up, this looks interesting.
fa4795__1__06630.1505945973.jpg

DESCRIPTION
Swix North Ski Snowboard Wax Tuning Kit Mass Transit comes with a deluxe case that holds the iron and all the tools.

• Large case with zipper and handle
  • 110V-USA model iron adjustable temperature 850 W
  • Edge sharpening tool (Side: 88 and 87 degrees / Base: 0.5 and 1.0)
  • Diamond side edge polishing tool (88 and 87 degrees)
  • 7" wax scraper with hang hole
  • All Conditions Wax (180 g), biodegradable
  • Brass/Nylon Combo Brush
  • Pocket Ratchet Driver with 4 bits and a wrench
  • Tuning Instructional Guide
I've got enough extra brushes, stones, and files to choke a horse, but I need a travel iron, and I like the nice, compact case. If the edge tool and diamond side edge polishing tool work well (and aren't just pieces of junk - which is what they look like in the photo), it might be a handy travel kit.

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0365.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
I have been very happy following Slidewrights suggestion several years ago. I bought a very heavy duty folding sawhorse called the Stablemate made by Fulton Ind. Heavy but very stable compared to the light weight folding benches, but still portable if you are traveling by car/suv/truck. I added a 48"x 16" top with two sets of lasso vises. I also use a long roll-up rubber treadmill mat underneath. I live in a condo without a garage so I set up the bench with mat as needed inside the hallway. Sets up and folds away quickly to be stored in the hall closet. JMD

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Yep.
I figure I can carry at least 20 pairs of skis, ten cases of beer, and a barrel of Blanton's.
Inquiring minds would like to know where one finds "barrles" of Blantons given I've almost never seen even a single bottle in the wild?

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Applejack bought one, but they had it bottled for our enjoyment :rocks:

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am short 5'6" and have tall vises so I went with the 30" stablemate saw horse. A 36" high is available. If you Google -Stablemate Saw Horse- you can find it offered as low as $57. plus shipping. Add your own wooden top with carriage bolts and save a lot to the Artech price of $225.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
View attachment 31872 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 View attachment 31872 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 View attachment 31873 View attachment 31874 I have been very happy following Slidewrights suggestion several years ago. I bought a very heavy duty folding sawhorse called the Stablemate made by Fulton Ind. Heavy but very stable compared to the light weight folding benches, but still portable if you are traveling by car/suv/truck. I added a 48"x 16" top with two sets of lasso vises. I also use a long roll-up rubber treadmill mat underneath. I live in a condo without a garage so I set up the bench with mat as needed inside the hallway. Sets up and folds away quickly to be stored in the hall closet. JMD
Looks like a pretty good solution!
Did you get it from True Value in Silverthorne?

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
All that stuff looks mighty fine boys. Hope to see you parked next to me in a ski lot some day as I might ask for a little favor... :)

ski-tune-bag.jpg

But out on the road parked in some butt cold ski lot early morning with grimy frozen ice all around my parking spot and brown icicles hanging out of my old Forester wheel wells, this ignorant peon has had to make do the best I can. Thus the above has had to carry the day for many years. Well those days after a Sierra Cement storm plasters our Tahoe slopes followed by clear cold air that then makes it brick hard for days.

Yep, then we need to dig that grubby old dark navy blue fanny pack out of the rear bed piles of gear and toss a blue plastic tarp on that disgusting dirty icy snow between my vehicle and the next one where I plop down my Twisters. Like my other two skis don't rate on such days. Then strangle the ski brakes up with that Velcro strap and try to be very gentle not aging the edges while I sit on the beast squeezing it between my legs trying to keep it still. And of course maybe if need be, I pray does not happen, the Bic lighter and P-Tex is ready to drip too if nec.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, these are all really cool. Only thing I have in my boot bag that I haven't seen above is a couple spare ski pole baskets. My road kit has gotten smaller and smaller and it just occurred to me why.. The longest trip I've taken in the past five years has been 4 days with less than three days skiing with 4 pairs of skis in the ski box. Only semi major work I've done on skis away from home was a p-tex repair on @jimmy's ski at Blue Knob several years ago. All I've needed for my own family fleet has been rub on spring wax and spray on wax for NASTAR. Don't even keep a file in the bag anymore, just a stone, pole baskets, ptex, lighter, wax, scraper, and cork. I do scrape wax in the parking lot.. leave it on thick as storage wax until I decide today is the day to ski the ski.

That said, ALL my tuning tools and supplies reside in an old school fishing tackle box so bringing them all would be pretty easy.. Only for a week long plus trip though..

JMD

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks like a pretty good solution!
Did you get it from True Value in Silverthorne?
Hi Blue Streak. I pick up this Stablemate sawhorse 12 years ago online while still living in Florida. I have not seen this available in stock at any local stores. Very easy to order online for in-store pick up or home delivery.

TS
Blue Streak

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Bought the 36" one online last night for $61.99 plus shipping.
Thanks!
I like your treadmill pad idea too!

Sponsor