• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll: Daylight Savings

Daylight Savings Time change?

• Yep, I love when it's light in the morning

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Nope, I hate how it gets dark so early

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My local paper's recommendation explains why year-round Daylight Saving time is a bad idea. See https://www.mercurynews.com/.../editorial-for-kids.../ Besides having children going to school in the dark as official sunrise would be 8:15 AM or later from Dec 16 to Jan 26, it will cause problems for airline schedules and businesses with Midwest and East Coast partners.

I also would not like year-round Standard time as that would mean official sunrise here would be before 5 AM from May 14 to July 25. I know people don't like the time changing twice a year, but I think it's better than not changing.

I already went through I few time changes in the last 8 days. We flew to SJD, Baja California Sur, last Saturday where they were an hour ahead. But our first night there they set their clocks back so they were on same time as US California which meant our phones that we only used on WiFi were correct (although we never figured out how to change clock in our bedroom there). Then we flew back yesterday in time to set our clocks back at home.

skix

Out on the slopes
Skier
Shift the entire planet to be on ONE time. ONE time zone. Need to know what time the sun is going to be up, in your vicinity? Pull out your phone. It makes zero difference to someone in San Diego if they go to bed at 11pm PST or 7am GMT.

Time is just a number - let's standardize it.

Agreed. But when we make the shift we need to replace 60 second minutes, 60 minute hours, and 24 hour days. Let's go metric and have 100 second minutes, 100 minute hours and 100 hours in the day. Just need to calibrate 1 second to make it work. Also solves the problem of not enough hours in the day by giving you 4 times as many hours per day.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My local paper's recommendation explains why year-round Daylight Saving time is a bad idea. See https://www.mercurynews.com/.../editorial-for-kids.../ Besides having children going to school in the dark as official sunrise would be 8:15 AM or later from Dec 16 to Jan 26, it will cause problems for airline schedules and businesses with Midwest and East Coast partners.

I can't read your article as it's blocked by a pay wall but I have no sympathy for kids going to school in the dark since I did parts of elementary and middle school in Alaska where sunrise isn't until after 10am in December and January and after 8 am October through most of March.

Whoever has the option to make you go to work at 8:00 AM DST one day and 8:00 AM regular time the next certainly has the power to make you come to work at 7:00 AM regular time one day and 8:00 AM the next.

But they usually don't have the power to make customers/suppliers/partners etc adjust their schedules as well.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't read your article as it's blocked by a pay wall but I have no sympathy for kids going to school in the dark since I did parts of elementary and middle school in Alaska where sunrise isn't until after 10am in December and January and after 8 am October through most of March.

They do make some decent points in the article about the safety of walking to school; 70% of all pedestrian traffic hits are when it's dark. Regardless, I'm pretty sure I'd favor shifting it once (into "DST"), and not shifting it back. I'm not so sure it would make much of a difference in the winter for me, as others here have said, I'm in the dark when I wake up and when I get out of work anyways. But shifting it would at least maximize the afternoon daylight.

Not sure why I wasn't blocked by the same pay wall. It gave me a pop up option to pay, but let me read.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are the same amount of daylight hours regardless of the time manipulation. If you want kids to “walk to school” in daylight, simple, start school an hour later.

Arizona has it right.

I get @Lorenzzo and the later start to skiing with no time change, but far more people play golf and the hour of daylight later in the day would be much better for golf revenues. That is only one example, but daylight later in the afternoon has to create more revenue across the board.

As for a 7 hour flight and staying in the same time zone..... I would love that.... ALL of my travel is with massive time changes... +9 last week, + 8 this week, and next week is either +10 or +11, I can’t figure it out. Those times are from home.

Last edited by a moderator:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Pro Daylight Savings Time. Year-round. Do a one-time shift forward in spring by one or two hours then never fall back.
^This!
I thought it was proven when implemented back in the 70's that there was a significant energy savings with year round DST.
Kids waiting for the school bus in the dark or walking is BS. No one leaves their kids unsupervised anymore.
The 1/2 hour idea seems like a reasonable compromise. Whatever it is, the change is a disruption that I do not like!

Shifterkart

Putting on skis
Skier
Being in Arizona I appreciate not having to change the clocks and trying to figure out if I am gaining an hour or losing an hour. The sun comes up awful early in the summer and now I am driving to work in the dark but I just alter my schedule to accommodate.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do schools start so early? Then they get out so early?

Isn't it a bit crazy to change the clocks rather than change the school schedule?

I'd love it if we were on daylight savings time year round and changed the school times to accommodate.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Why do schools start so early? Then they get out so early?

Isn't it a bit crazy to change the clocks rather than change the school schedule?

I'd love it if we were on daylight savings time year round and changed the school times to accommodate.

That's a whole different (although somewhat related) debate. Apparently studies are showing that especially high school age kids would really benefit from a later start time. As a non-parent my view point is from the outside but as I understand it the issues with changing surround bus schedules, after school sports/activities, and parent work schedules.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Let’s not forget that a lot of the early, think early history, school was a babysitting endeavor for working parents. Over a couple of hundred years, not much has changed in that regard

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Don't agree with either of the poll questions as it is not about whether I like or dislike getting up in the dark or seeing more daylight after work. That is how the media manipulates the focus of the debate.

I have a long history of condemning DST though in any case is a minor concern. As an old landscape photography enthusiast, I prefer 12 noon to be when the sun is at its daily highest azimuth altitude due south. Thus dislike the way natural balance of local time has been manipulated for the sake of urban businesses that for decades given financial power with their friends in media they fund with advertising revenue and politicians they all fund, have manipulated the debate away from their real agenda. You see, they would never be able to have the rest of society simply change their open hours so instead went to politicians and then came up with a list of lame arguments.

For instance if people didn't want their kids to be walking streets to school in dim dawn light, schools could simply change hours depending on season. Likewise if people wanted to get off from their jobs an hour later in order to get in a round of
golf, companies might change their business hours. Of course none of that would ever happen because such is a trivial reality of season day length change at our temperate latitudes. Instead the real agenda of leisure and powerful retail industries is that 8-5 m-f working people are far more likely to be customers if there is more daylight after their workdays.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let’s not forget that a lot of the early, think early history, school was a babysitting endeavor for working parents. Over a couple of hundred years, not much has changed in that regard
Are you saying that the whole Daylight Savings Time change is controlled by the WWCA (World Wide Babysitter Coalition)? Interesting conspiracy theory.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Are you saying that the whole Daylight Savings Time change is controlled by the WWCA (World Wide Babysitter Coalition)? Interesting conspiracy theory.

Yes I am. Look at the history of when schools in this country started, it is not a conspiracy, it is clearly stated

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish our babysitter didn't make us get up so damn early then quit at 2:30 pm.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
We should scrap the whole thing. Happy hour is hour zero. We then tell time in relation to that, with it rolling over at 12. School thus starts at HH minus 9 and gets out at HH minus 2.5. Monday night football starts at HH plus 3. You could have a flight depart at HH-6 or HH+4 depending on whether you’re departing in the late morning or mid-evening.

It’s simple, universal, and keeps the focus where it properly belongs, which is either the next socially acceptable time to drink or whether you’re late cracking a cold one.

Edited to add, I’m currently at HH minus 1 min.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One day-dog wants breakfast at 6. Next day-dog wants breakfast at 5. Dogs don't know.

Sponsor

Staff online