• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll: Daylight Savings

Daylight Savings Time change?

• Yep, I love when it's light in the morning

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Nope, I hate how it gets dark so early

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
I vote to ditch DST but keep time zones even though they are completely unnecessary.

Businesses that depends on daylight to function already adjust their schedules accordingly, if kids kids outside in the dark is a concern then the school's need to adjust their start time for a portion of the year.

FWIW I loved being on the Western edge of the Eastern time zone, was daylight until late in the summer and sunrise wasn't so early. Getting up in the mornings is much more enjoyable/easier before the sun rises than after for me doesn't matter if it is 5 AM or 10 AM.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
The EU parliament recently decided to stop doing DST starting a couple of years from now. I can't remember if they had a referendum or just did a bunch of polling, but they found out that a huge majority of people were in favor of doing away with it.

I know that Russia tried doing year-round DST a several years ago. But after one or two years, a large majority of people made it clear that they didn't like it. Now, they just do standard time all year.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle, so I'd be happy to get rid of it and just do standard time year round.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Short days are short days. No matter which direction we go, the change is always confusing for a week or so. It feels stupid to go to bed when it's light out in the summer (but I need to sleep sometime) and it's a long time before dinner when it gets dark in the winter (and if I eat early I'll be fitting another meal in before bedtime). Changing clocks won't affect that.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's back, time to spring forward.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
^This!
I thought it was proven when implemented back in the 70's that there was a significant energy savings with year round DST.
Kids waiting for the school bus in the dark or walking is BS. No one leaves their kids unsupervised anymore.
The 1/2 hour idea seems like a reasonable compromise. Whatever it is, the change is a disruption that I do not like!

You must not have kids waiting at the corner school bus stop..

And CHANGE is what makes life interesting. Some years, It seems like DST is the most interesting thing to happen. It sure gets my attention more than politics! ;-)
I better get to bed, tomorrow comes early.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Think WA State passed legislation to stay on daylight savings time and the Feds won't sign off on it.
Consider how squirrelly this could get around here. In the winter months we would be: 1 hour later than North ID 30 miles away. 2 hours later than MT (100 miles away) and South ID (300 miles away). an hour later than Oregon to the south or BC to the North.
The cell phone would be very busy when out for a drive,

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s funny, I was on an 18-day road trip for the Gathering, just got back last night around 9pm PST (which was 10pm MST). Went to bed, woke up and the time had changed, so I was already synced up. I planned my trip better than I had thought.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We say bless you when someone sneezes because we think demons will go back up their nose to their brains.

We cling to these ridiculous clock rituals for similarly up to date, modern thinking reasons.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Time seems arbitrary but some math related to time makes sense. The circumference of the earth is about 24,900 miles so if you make a time zone about a thousand miles it gives you a 24 hour day. What number you assigned to each time zone is the arbitrary part. One of the reasons DLS was started was for the farmers so the kids could still work on the farm after they got out of school and it wouldn't be too dark to do their work.

Powder High

Getting off the lift
Skier
Standard time is better for the body. From the Seattle Times:

Sleep experts widely agree with the Senate that the country should abandon its twice-yearly seasonal time changes. But they disagree on one key point: which time system should be permanent. Unlike the Senate, many sleep experts believe the country should adopt year-round standard time.

After the Senate voted unanimously and with little discussion Tuesday to make daylight saving time permanent, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine issued a statement cautioning that the move overlooks potential health risks associated with that time system. (The legislation, which would take effect next year, must get through the House and be signed by President Joe Biden to become law.)

We do applaud stopping the switching during the course of the year and settling on a permanent time,” said Jocelyn Cheng, a member of the AASM’s public safety committee. But, she added, “standard time, for so many scientific and circadian rationales, should really be what permanent time is set to.

tinyurl.com/mpjabj8b

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Time seems arbitrary but some math related to time makes sense. The circumference of the earth is about 24,900 miles so if you make a time zone about a thousand miles it gives you a 24 hour day. What number you assigned to each time zone is the arbitrary part. One of the reasons DLS was started was for the farmers so the kids could still work on the farm after they got out of school and it wouldn't be too dark to do their work.
Tractors and Farm buildings have had lights for years... ;)

Sponsor

Staff online