• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll: Daylight Savings

Daylight Savings Time change?

• Yep, I love when it's light in the morning

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Nope, I hate how it gets dark so early

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
We have a state-level measure on the California Ballot this year to get rid of Daylight Savings Time. (Even if it passes, it has to go through the federal government for approval.)

Thoughts? Are you pro or anti DST?

(Mods, if this is considered too political - since it is related to the election - please remove.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Doesn't Arizona not do Daylight savings time? As much time as we spend in California..I would find it very confusing as to what time it is.

45032907_519489601857575_6837308491774820352_n.jpg

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there's a little kid lobby that doesn't like walking to school in the dark. Maybe that particular lobby is weakening in CA.

For me the question is all about skiing. Wouldn't resorts just start spinning an hour later to get prep work done? If so I'm neutral on the whole thing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've gone on record with this before.

GET RID OF TIME ZONES.

Current time zones are completely arbitrary. Sunrise is 45 minutes different in Boston and in DC even though they are in the same time zone, and that's just from the east/west difference. Going north/south also changes solar position enough to affect sunrise and sunset times.

DST is irrelevant - and so are time zones. Everyone is expected to habituate to a time zone within a certain 'home' environment - and that environment is completely different for someone living in Vancouver or Fairbanks vs. San Diego.

Shift the entire planet to be on ONE time. ONE time zone. Need to know what time the sun is going to be up, in your vicinity? Pull out your phone. It makes zero difference to someone in San Diego if they go to bed at 11pm PST or 7am GMT.

Time is just a number - let's standardize it.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Get rid of 24 hour days too. If that works out we can talk about 365 day years.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I've gone on record with this before.

GET RID OF TIME ZONES.

Current time zones are completely arbitrary. Sunrise is 45 minutes different in Boston and in DC even though they are in the same time zone, and that's just from the east/west difference. Going north/south also changes solar position enough to affect sunrise and sunset times.

DST is irrelevant - and so are time zones. Everyone is expected to habituate to a time zone within a certain 'home' environment - and that environment is completely different for someone living in Vancouver or Fairbanks vs. San Diego.

Shift the entire planet to be on ONE time. ONE time zone. Need to know what time the sun is going to be up, in your vicinity? Pull out your phone.

Phone? I don't even carry a watch!
I don't see any advantage to DST. Would prefer just our standard time year round.
I do see some practical uses for time zones however. If you don't then just use Greenwich Mean Time! (GMT)
:beercheer:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get rid of 24 hour days too. If that works out we can talk about 365 day years.

At that point, lets just get rid of time, period. As the native natives said...or Mark Twain ;)..."Only man can create something then become a slave to it..."

Phone? I don't even carry a watch!
I don't see any advantage to DST. Would prefer just our standard time year round.
I do see some practical uses for time zones however. If you don't then just use Greenwich Mean Time! (GMT)
:beercheer:

GMT cannot be as bad as TT, Truckee Time...there is no rhyme or reason how late someone will be, other than it will range from one hour to six hours.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@cantunamunch GMT already exists and is in widespread use. Your aviation weather briefing gives times in GMT. We have to add the 7 (or is it now 8 or now 7?) hours to convert to local time. Some briefers are helpful and will convert for you, others tell you to do the math. 12 vs 24 hour clocks add another variable.

"Does anybody really know what time it is?"

Eric

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Messing with time can put you in Steven Wright's world. I remember being on a plane many hours to South America and then finding I was in the same time zone. I thought...how could I have been on a plane 7 hours and still be in the same time zone?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
We are all in the Twilight Zone.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@cantunamunch GMT already exists and is in widespread use. Your aviation weather briefing gives times in GMT. We have to add the 7 (or is it now 8 or now 7?) hours to convert to local time. Some briefers are helpful and will convert for you, others tell you to do the math. 12 vs 24 hour clocks add another variable.
Eric

Precisely my point - it is incredibly useful to have briefings and timetables in one single time standard.

My want is for you to not have to do the math - because that one single time standard will already be native to you and the barista and the post office and the shopping mall on Thanksgiving.

Right now we are all speaking in regional dialect. And we shift that dialect twice a year in a shamanistic propitiation of the sun origin myth. Someone briefs us in English and we need translation. How is that a good situation?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I don't care one way or the other frankly. In summer it's light until 10:30pm. I'm in bed by that nowadays! In winter it's dark when I get up and dark when I leave work. How is this good for me? Just a PITA to go change clocks.

I'll keep my timezones though.. :D

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anything at all to stay ahead of Saskatchewan, eh? :P It's enough to know the Newfies are ahead :roflmao:

You might think it's goofy...but..the man in the moon is a Newfie... :D

And how did the Newfs get an extra HALF HOUR!!!?? Can't even stay on the hour...

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
i hate this move the clock one hour BS.. Move it 1/2 hour and leave it the heck alone.. NSEST (newfoundland standard eastern standard time)

I'm far enough north that the difference of sunrise can vary a few hours in a year, thats before the stupid clock shift nonsense. Cows don't care what time it is (except feeding time.. ) and the chickens could care less as well.

And as Scott said.. it's dark when I get up, it's dark when i leave work.. who cares ..

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It eventually gets dark at both ends anyway here.

I'm of the opinion that if we suddenly go all permanent on Savings time, we'll just be bitching about the new dark times anyway. It would make more sense to adjust what time you do things according to the light and stop worrying about the clock.

I couldn't answer the poll. Neither applied. It's already dark here. We're already down to less than ten hours of daylight. The weather alone has been causing that the last two weeks.

Last edited: