• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I need new skis. Snowboarded regularly (some 50 day seasons) from 1983 until end of last season, high competence but not a full on killer. Tore a hamstring and discovered that skiing didn't hurt it, so started skiing in April last year.

I've skied 12 days now. Last day was at Red Mountain BC, skied all over including blacks and easier double blacks (The Cliff, Beer Belly, etc). Coastal PNW is my place of residence with Crystal Mountain being about the most typical environs.

My starter skis have been $150 used 2016 K2 Pinnacle 88's in 177cm. Actually quite impressed! Forgiving skis that kinda rail carves, are easy to steer in bumps, and cope okay with mank. Poppy and fun, East-Coast-worthy edge hold too.

But the Pinnacles are too short and too narrow, worked great for learning but I'm 6'3" 205# and want a bit more float. My next set I want 185cm-ish and in the 93-100mm wide range. I know I could go longer and wider but am still in the earlier parts of the learning curve. I want an all-mountain ski that doesn't give up hardpack perfomance. I think I ski probably 50/50 on and off piste, probably 70% off piste that last trip to Red Mountain.

I own a set of 189cm Seth Morrison 118mm powder/side country skis that are fun in soft snow and do okay in the hardpack too, so I'm covered for really soft/deep days.

Though bigger than average, I do like a ski that is easy to turn in tight spaces and bumps. I tend to flow/play w/ the contours of terrain, don't really enjoy the "set the same turn every time an smash over everything" style (but love watching others who ski like that!). So something like the Nordica Enforcer doesn't seem like a fit? My keyworks are FORGIVING, MANEUVERABLE, CARVEY, EDGE HOLD, POP, SMALLER TURNS. I know it's a trade off, but that stuff plus not super twitchy is ideal.

Blizzard Rustler 9 might work? The K2 Mindbender maybe? Other skis that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

EDIT Last little detail, in the spirit of buying skis for what you ski, not what you'd ideally like to ski:

I ski most often with mixed packs of children ages 7 to 13 and other dads (who are good to very good skiers). Kids can ski black and double black but in the start-stop way kids do, seeking out all the little squirrel trails, lapping the little features in the snowboard park, etc. I need skis that will to contour to all the Hobbity shit the little ones are always getting into. Many of the other dads are fine on stiff hard charging boards on everything but I'm still learning to ski.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Stockli Stormrider 95 in 184 cm length, or 193. Should check all the boxes. Major downside is price, as a new pair of these are 10x the price of the used K2 Pinnacle. See if you can get a used pair - might be able to get some with 20 days on them for ~$600 ish. These skis will make any turn shape and have a progressive flex. I am 6' and 210 lbs and like the 184 length. I do not own them, but rented the 2018/2019 model for 4 days.

all the Hobbity shit

LOL, great description. I find that wider skis make this generally more difficult since I end up tripping on my own feet the wider the ski gets. YMMV.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Though bigger than average, I do like a ski that is easy to turn in tight spaces and bumps. I tend to flow/play w/ the contours of terrain, don't really enjoy the "set the same turn every time an smash over everything" style (but love watching others who ski like that!). So something like the Nordica Enforcer doesn't seem like a fit? My keyworks are FORGIVING, MANEUVERABLE, CARVEY, EDGE HOLD, POP, SMALLER TURNS. I know it's a trade off, but that stuff plus not super twitchy is ideal.

I actually think the Nordica Enforcer 104 might fit your definitions of wants and needs quite well (minus being 93-100mm underfoot).

Reactions: BMC

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I need new skis. Snowboarded regularly (some 50 day seasons) from 1983 until end of last season, high competence but not a full on killer. Tore a hamstring and discovered that skiing didn't hurt it, so started skiing in April last year.

I've skied 12 days now. Last day was at Red Mountain BC, skied all over including blacks and easier double blacks (The Cliff, Beer Belly, etc). Coastal PNW is my place of residence with Crystal Mountain being about the most typical environs.

My starter skis have been $150 used 2016 K2 Pinnacle 88's in 177cm. Actually quite impressed! Forgiving skis that kinda rail carves, are easy to steer in bumps, and cope okay with mank. Poppy and fun, East-Coast-worthy edge hold too.

But the Pinnacles are too short and too narrow, worked great for learning but I'm 6'3" 205# and want a bit more float. My next set I want 185cm-ish and in the 93-100mm wide range. I know I could go longer and wider but am still in the earlier parts of the learning curve. I want an all-mountain ski that doesn't give up hardpack perfomance. I think I ski probably 50/50 on and off piste, probably 70% off piste that last trip to Red Mountain.

I own a set of 189cm Seth Morrison 118mm powder/side country skis that are fun in soft snow and do okay in the hardpack too, so I'm covered for really soft/deep days.

Blizzard Rustler 9 might work? The K2 Mindbender maybe? Other skis that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

EDIT Last little detail, in the spirit of buying skis for what you ski, not what you'd ideally like to ski:

I ski most often with mixed packs of children ages 7 to 13 and other dads (who are good to very good skiers). Kids can ski black and double black but in the start-stop way kids do, seeking out all the little squirrel trails, lapping the little features in the snowboard park, etc. I need skis that will to contour to all the Hobbity shit the little ones are always getting into. Many of the other dads are fine on stiff hard charging boards on everything but I'm still learning to ski.

Some of the above suggestions I feel may be a bit aggressive for someone coming over to our side of the playground. I would check out something like the Salomon QST 99

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Stockli Stormrider 95 in 184 cm length, or 193. Should check all the boxes. Major downside is price, as a new pair of these are 10x the price of the used K2 Pinnacle. See if you can get a used pair - might be able to get some with 20 days on them for ~$600 ish. These skis will make any turn shape and have a progressive flex. I am 6' and 210 lbs and like the 184 length. I do not own them, but rented the 2018/2019 model for 4 days.

to the OP and for that matter @Seldomski - what is your BSL? I have a pair of 184 Stockli SR 95's in 184 (the blue tartan tops) that I will be selling at the end of the season, they will have about 60 days on them - nothing major in terms of damage - scrapes = yes, scratches = yes. chips/divots = no. They are tools and I treat them as such. they are however drilled for Pivots at 315/316 ,<cant remember if I had them mounted with the Tecnicas or Langes. Anyway, just throwing that out there. And agree, very versatile ski. I wont be asking $600 for them either.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Everyone has high praise for the Nordica Enforcer line. I have been skiing the Enforcer 100 all season and it’s really easy to ski and pivots quick for a 100mm ski. One of the consistently top rated skis. Price is good also. BTW my other ski is the Stockli SR88

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Might consider the new Nordica Enforcer 94, 100, or 104--I am 6 foot 210 lbs and have found them to be fantastic all mountain skis. Liberty Evolv 100 is also great. Stockli Stormrider 95 is also nice, as is the J Skis Masterblaster, and Mindbender 99; Mantra 102 is also sweet.

TS
Hankj

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for the feedback. I'm gonna demo the Enforcer 93's in 185cm for a couple of days this weekend, see how those are and use them as a baseline for making a choice. Thanks again.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was thinking Nordica Enforcer 100 too until you ruled it out. Then, like others, I thought of the Nordica Enforcer 104

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

USCskibum

Booting up
Skier
Might consider the new Nordica Enforcer 94, 100, or 104--I am 6 foot 210 lbs and have found them to be fantastic all mountain skis. Liberty Evolv 100 is also great. Stockli Stormrider 95 is also nice, as is the J Skis Masterblaster, and Mindbender 99; Mantra 102 is also sweet.

Any input on Enforcer 94 vs. Stormrider 95? Recently spent a couple days on the Enforcer 94...intrigued with Stockli and the reference to “smooth and silky”. What does the Stormrider 95 offer?