• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been a little since I’ve posted, skied Elk probably 3-4 nights and 1 day since last report . In any case Conditions have been pretty hard to say the least, but after that last snow, Elk skied great last night.

I took a day ski (thinking Last Thursday) and got some turns in before the heavy rain. It was 55 Degrees typical spring skiing, had a ball. Was a bunch of tele skiers doing laps on bump run...looked very comfortable, I was impressed.

Got to say Elk really does a nice job of running the hill. I always expect conditions to be much worse given weather but, they always surprise me with better than expected.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was at Camelback yesterday. They had groomers on the old alpine slide path and were cutting down some trees along the path. From the looks of it, I would guess it will be open soon.

I was up there today. Looks to me like they are setting up one of those courses you see in the Olympics (skier cross?). Don't think its going to be an open trail as they are not increasing the trail count anywhere that I'm aware of The still need to throw more snow on it.

Sidenote: Was glad to see that they were keeping the bumps up on Asp and closing the trail when they think its too icy. If they can get a window and "dust" them they should be a go (hopefully this weekend). In the past I think they would have been flattened for the trail count

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Camelback announced it today. It’s opening Presidents Day Weekend. They’re naming it Basilisk and it will be rated double black.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
Been a little since I’ve posted, skied Elk probably 3-4 nights and 1 day since last report . In any case Conditions have been pretty hard to say the least, but after that last snow, Elk skied great last night.

I took a day ski (thinking Last Thursday) and got some turns in before the heavy rain. It was 55 Degrees typical spring skiing, had a ball. Was a bunch of tele skiers doing laps on bump run...looked very comfortable, I was impressed.

Got to say Elk really does a nice job of running the hill. I always expect conditions to be much worse given weather but, they always surprise me with better than expected.

I'm this close, but we had a (fortunately positive) development at work so I'm locked inside and my plan for an afternoon ticket is foiled. Tomorrow it is...
IMG_5555.JPG

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied Elk last night, skied very well more so when a heavy squall dumped 1 1/2” in a hour or so. Very busy they were due to President day, good for them.

Had witnessed what could of been a ugly out come.
Going down Slamon about half way down I seen someone down on left edge. Generally if I see something not looking right I will stop and assess things to make sure no one is hurt. So I did and saw a Mother and a very young child, mother on Her butt putting skis back on child. I look up hill and see 4 guys barreling down all together. So I ski across hill and get 30 yards up hill from them to keep these guys from hitting them, as they were in a bad spot.

Well mother who had to be clueless got the kid up at probably the worst time never looked up hill and went 90 degrees across hill narrowly missed getting hit. I am watching all this going holy shit glad no one got hurt. I look up hill to take off and 2 more guys come creaming down the hill as momma directs the child 90 degrees opposite way. Thank god the child doing pizza feel again.

I could tell the lady was a experienced skier and the child should have never been there. I don’t begrudge the child being there but the adult should really look up hill for the safety of the child. Kind of freaked me out.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Presidents day weekend looked very profitable in the Pocono's. The lots were full and traffic was still coming in when we left at 4 on Sunday. Conditions were what was expected from very good early to skied off later in the day. The new run was a luge run when I took it so I 'll wait to pass judgement on it till I ski it on actual snow.

Sunday marks the 1/2 way point of the season for me. So far 20 days, 5 at New England Ikon resorts and 15 at Camelback. If I had to give a midway grade it wouldn't be very good. Skied more then my share of ice, not enough moguls, and no powder, no trees. But I want to be optimistic and the 2nd half starts now. Much more travel and the real good stuff, my 2 western trips, upcoming starting with Killington this weekend. While less CBK I still aim to take advantage of as many nice springlike days as I can to hopefully work on my moguls and just enjoy being outdoors. They've got a good healthy base down and we should be able to enjoy a good March there.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Excellent! Great call on their part, replacing the diamond they utilized as a terrain park and moving it to the other side to ease congestion a bit.

On weekends and holidays, is that even possible at CB?

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
On weekends and holidays, is that even possible at CB?

Camelback is no different from most other places. The key is to get out early. Sure it was busy this past weekend but IMO that's a good thing. I stick at home (CBK) on holidays because if I going to wait in lines it might as well be close to home. Stevenson can become a dead end at times but we generally hit it early and move out as the crowds build later on. It's usually more trail crowding as opposed to lift crowding that drives me off the slopes at the busy times. Got 2 fun and satisfactory mornings in this past weekend.

Really its the period between Christmas and Presidents Day that its at its busiest. The month of March can be a real blast there as crowds disappear and the mountain cruises on at 100%. (and currently there is a lot of snow on the trails and they should be set up for a good one)

The new trail doesn't do that much for me. It's interesting, but I'm more interested in seeing some more bumps runs as I prepare myself for my trips out west.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback is no different from most other places. The key is to get out early. Sure it was busy this past weekend but IMO that's a good thing. I stick at home (CBK) on holidays because if I going to wait in lines it might as well be close to home. Stevenson can become a dead end at times but we generally hit it early and move out as the crowds build later on. It's usually more trail crowding as opposed to lift crowding that drives me off the slopes at the busy times. Got 2 fun and satisfactory mornings in this past weekend.

Really its the period between Christmas and Presidents Day that its at its busiest. The month of March can be a real blast there as crowds disappear and the mountain cruises on at 100%. (and currently there is a lot of snow on the trails and they should be set up for a good one)

The new trail doesn't do that much for me. It's interesting, but I'm more interested in seeing some more bumps runs as I prepare myself for my trips out west.

I was at Blue the past Hol weekend. Early on the chairs is key getting more runs in the first hour and half to two hours vs the rest of the day...lol and then when things get too zoo like we are outta there. It sucks because its a travel for us but such is the life of pocono skiing at prime time. But hey...thats when life and its obs allows us for skiing time...what can ya do? You make the most of it.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
View attachment 66115 View attachment 66116 Been snowing at Blue since 10.

Amazing what a couple of inches of fresh can do to improve a mountain

For us over here in the east skiing the poconos? we better break out our fatty's for fresh tracks :yahoo:
Id now expect the entire herd show up come this weekend to gobble up the last 1/16th inch of it :eek:

haha...im sorry but its sometimes hard to accept our ski situation vs where so many others on pugski live at. Just two different worlds man. I know , I know..I should be thankful for what we got.
But nah.... that doesnt always work.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
For us over here in the east skiing the poconos? we better break out our fatty's for fresh tracks :yahoo:
Id now expect the entire herd show up come this weekend to gobble up the last 1/16th inch of it :eek:

haha...im sorry but its sometimes hard to accept our ski situation vs where so many others on pugski live at. Just two different worlds man. I know , I know..I should be thankful for what we got.
But nah.... that doesnt always work.

Hey I skied my 95's for the 2" of fresh. Figured the 107's would be stupid. Conditions were good for a while, but by 3pm it switched to something wetter than snow. 46 degrees today up there and it will be gone. I had been planning to ski Hunter, but since the storm was hitting south first, I chose the snow over the mountain.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve had a few surprisingly good midweek snow days, and a surprisingly good President’s weekend Sunday AM with beautiful corduroy. Yeah, the bumps were ice....it is the East Coast, after all.

I go to UT in March....I won’t be ski-ready ready for all that’s there, but at least I am going.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I’ve had a few surprisingly good midweek snow days, and a surprisingly good President’s weekend Sunday AM with beautiful corduroy. Yeah, the bumps were ice....it is the East Coast, after all.

I go to UT in March....I won’t be ski-ready ready for all that’s there, but at least I am going.

In the same boat you are trying to get ready for my western trips. I certainly wouldn't give up hope yet. We may not get the powder but (at least at Camelback) there is a significant base down so March has the potential to be quite good. Best hope is for some springlike warmth so those bumps soften up. If we could just get the moisture (unfortunately for us usually unfrozen) to shut off for a while and get some sun we might get in some good practice.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Looks like the snow makers jobs are not done at Camelback yet. Tuned in to the web cam to see them firing away on a couple of trails. A little surprised as there is a lot of snow on the trails already but nice to see them preparing for a good spring

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Great conditions yesterday. Enjoyed CBK, especially when the snow came. But, like sands through the hour glass, tick tick tick for the season.

We’ll be back next Sunday

Sponsor

Staff online