Mid-Atlantic Poconos (greater area) Conditions, Resorts, Meet-Ups...

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by kitchener, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Uncle-A

Uncle-A In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al" Skier

He died as a result of an incident, that is a little cryptic. An incident could be a lot of things, was he run down by another person that was out of control or did he hit a tree or something else? Was it a sheet of ice, binding malfunction or was he on a trail that was closed or too difficult for him? Or did he just have a heart attack or some non ski related incident.

kitchener and RuleMiHa like this.
  2. 4aprice

4aprice Getting on the lift Skier

Heard it was a heart attack.

Not sure where it happened but certainly heard the ambulance pulling up to the area. They usually don't come screaming up the access road like that.

Uncle-A and kitchener like this.
  3. Willyum215

Willyum215 Getting on the lift Skier

4. Marker

Marker XLTL Skier

This is so sad for his family. I joke about skiing off a cliff at that point in my life, but my wife is not amused. We have friends in their late 70's/early 80's that ski 100+ days every year from their place at Sugarloaf. Bob and Mary are not expert skiers, but a damn fine ones, and Bob is an ambassador there. I can't imagine such a thing happening to them.

neonorchid likes this.
  5. 4aprice

Didn't know this gentleman but do know Bernie. There are a couple of older people who really ski well and fly around the mountain. Condolences to the family.

6. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

kitchener Still At Large Skier

Follow-up,edit: rumor control has it he sailed quite a big distance after hitting the big jump in the new terrain park wide open, and broke some ribs. But, a heart attack....

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  7. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

Wow, something really interesting is developing at Camelback. Anyone else there yesterday?

In-between last season and this, they finally took up the old alpine slide that sat derelict for years under the Sullivan lift. With the cement slide gone, it left a fairly TIGHT S-trail behind. Riding over it on the Sullivan lift this season, I've been saying to my ski buddy as soon as enough natural snow comes along, kids will be sneaking in there and skiing it outlaw.

I skied the first half of the day yesterday over on Stevenson and noticed they were blowing snow by Sullivan all morning. When I finally went up Sullivan, I was dumbfounded. They'd put snow guns on every straight on that old alpine slide run and by late day the whole thing was DEEP. Later in the day (a Sunday, at 5:30 pm mind you!) there was a team out there in hard hats with chain saws clearing it. It blew my mind. It's almost as though the GM woke up on a Sunday morning with a great idea and decided to immediately implement it before the day was over... (!) ...And whacking out a new trail, mid-season, with no fanfare. ...Bringing in his guys on a Sunday to do it. Very interesting. Kinda cool, too.

Though that slide ran all the way to the top, based on the their work, it looks like they're patching into it skier's left off of Rocket.

IMG_2905.jpg
    (guess that beer can-catcher is going to go away...)

IMG_2910.jpg
    (a gun was blowing on every straight)

IMG_2912.jpg
    (that's Rocket in the background -- this is from Sullivan -- this looks like the intended access)

IMG_2915.jpg
    (this is from Rocket looking into that access -- you can see they've cut away the fence)

IMG_2917.jpg
    (same spot, but with a glimpse down Rocket for perspective -- kind of steep in there for a very tight, wooded, winding trail!)

IMG_2919.jpg
    (all the king's men -- this pic was taken at 5:30 on a Sunday night -- can't see the chain saws but they're there, too)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Marker, neonorchid and Willyum215 like this.
  8. Marker

Marker XLTL Skier

That's amazing considering Blue Mtn has been working the new Trail Coming Soon for about three years.:ogcool:

9. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

Right? And out of nowhere (after all the massive fanfare for that little Scarab connection trail)...

10. Living Proof

Living Proof We All Have The Truth Skier

11. 4aprice

Holy [email protected]$t, go away for a weekend, and things go nuts. Ok so yes they took out the Alpine Slide and the path was just sitting there and of course everyone is saying how it would make a nice trail. I rode up with some patrol at one point and they told me it was going to be a trail but not anytime soon and not this season. This should be interesting. Good to see them raising the bar. Thanks for the reporting Kitchener. Maybe I'll get to ski it this weekend.

On another note. This weekend will be the 1/2 way point of my season. Sitting at 17 days currently, hopefully 20 by Sunday with a goal of 40 plus. Mostly Camelback up to now but the 2nd half is much more travel with western trips and Northern New England trips in the plans. Grading wise the season sits pretty low right now with maybe 4 days I would consider good skiing and all of those so far at Camelback so I'm hoping the 2nd half becomes better.

kitchener likes this.
  12. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

That's terrible news about the fatality.

It won't be til the first weekend of March that I'll get to check out the results with the new trail -- leaving for Aspen (yay me) next weekend. Can't wait. First time.

neonorchid likes this.
  13. 4aprice

Aspen is my favorite resort . I will return there this year for the first time since 2001 in March and I can't wait. FYI If you have time hit all 4 mountains. Yes I'm including Buttermilk. West Buttermilk for cruisers and Tiehack for trees bumps and steeps. 1/2 day should do it, unless its snowing then its a great place to hide out and ski untouched powder while being able to see which anyone up higher will not be able to do. So much terrain between the 4, hope you bring your legs. And have fun. Oh yea use the bus system

neonorchid and kitchener like this.
  14. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister--Big Sky Moderator Team Gathermeister

I want to see a trip report!!!

kitchener likes this.
  15. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

Hey, it's me.

16. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

I wonder what motivated Camelback to put that trail together mid-season? All the fanfare about that little Scarab trail -- this will be far more significant. They could have held off and made it the big thing for next season's advertising -- maybe they still will but figured this was too easy to do to not do it now?

17. 4aprice

I know a rumor but I will not speak of it till it is a fact. There could be an announcement in the future. Don't know if it motivated this or not. This new trail is awfully thin at the top with a wooden retention wall on the up hill side. Not sure how its going to work.

18. Thread Starter
    TS
    kitchener

Oops -- I guess I shouldn't have posted all that info and pics on the new trail above -- sounds like a sensitive issue. Good luck!

( i can take it down if you think that's best )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  19. 4aprice

No. I don't know anything for sure (thus I won't say what I have heard). I don't know what they are up to. I will be there this weekend. If I hear anything substantial and proven fact I will pass it along.

20. ZX-11

ZX-11 At the base lodge Skier

Was at Camelback yesterday. They had groomers on the old alpine slide path and were cutting down some trees along the path. From the looks of it, I would guess it will be open soon.

kitchener and Willyum215 like this.