• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Looks like a sudden veering toward Elk is in the offing. My 19 yo WVU freshman is driving 6 hours with his school ski/snowboard team to compete in the Allegheny Collegiate Ski Conference Race at Elk this Saturday and Sunday. I have no idea what that means for scoundrel, rogue snowboarders (such as my son), but I think I’ll go find out.

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
I'll be heading up to Elk tonight with 4 friends to ski there tomorrow and then either Elk again or Montage on Saturday.

It's an annual tradition we have every last weekend in January, affectionately named the "PA Invitational".
Maybe we'll get aggressive this year and try to hit C-Back or Blue on our way back to Philly Sunday. Depends on how bad the hangover is I suppose :beercheer:

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll be heading up to Elk tonight with 4 friends to ski there tomorrow and then either Elk again or Montage on Saturday.

It's an annual tradition we have every last weekend in January, affectionately named the "PA Invitational".
Maybe we'll get aggressive this year and try to hit C-Back or Blue on our way back to Philly Sunday. Depends on how bad the hangover is I suppose :beercheer:

I’ll be skiing tonight at Elk. Crap conditions I am sure but haven’t skied since Saturday night for the same condition. That virus was really nasty ;)

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see two hours of flurries at the tail end of the system this afternoon. Won't help much, but better than all rain I suppose.

My thinking also, I don’t mind skiing in all conditions as I think it makes me a more rounded skier. It’s snowing now, wetter than hell but Elk is same elevation as my house and things usually are better with elevation. I’ll know soon when I leave work to pick my kid up for dentist appointment, her school is up in the hills. Enjoy your weekend

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
My thinking also, I don’t mind skiing in all conditions as I think it makes me a more rounded skier. It’s snowing now, wetter than hell but Elk is same elevation as my house and things usually are better with elevation. I’ll know soon when I leave work to pick my kid up for dentist appointment, her school is up in the hills. Enjoy your weekend

Thanks @Scrundy , you too! I'll be looking for you tonight from the deck :)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the cold that is advertised comes about the Poconos should be alright very quickly. Camelback (which was closed today) has the lights on indicating to me that as soon as the temp drops the guns are on, and it 99% resurfacing now at that. Think the weekend should be ok and next week probably pretty good (albeit cold). More worried about my Sugarbush trip this weekend then the Pokes.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
As a younger skier I cut my teeth at Blue but I only go there for weekday skiing now. It’s the first decent-sized ski hill north of the greater Phiadelpia area, so it siphons off a lot of the unwashed masses, and unlike Camelback when it’s crowded, Blue’s lift system really depends on its two high-speed quads to get you to the top (so they’re packed). With CBK, you can cheat and jump on one of the older fixed chairs.

jontaejones

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thinking of going to CBK this weekend. How will the conditions be?

Just total crap?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How well does Blue Mountain handle weekend crowds?
not well, lol! get there early (i.e. first chair) and ski until 9:30 or 10:00 AM. much after that it's crazytown.
The liftlines can be insane from the bottom of the resort, but if you stick to the most difficult terrain the trails aren't too crowded.

There is a high-speed quad AND a six-pack from the bottom. Middish mountain the Main Street chair accesses some black terrain and often has a (relatively) shorter liftline.

Personally, I've found CB trails to be narrower than Blues, which causes all kinds of problems on busy days.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
The liftlines can be insane from the bottom of the resort, but if you stick to the most difficult terrain the trails aren't too crowded.

There is a high-speed quad AND a six-pack from the bottom. Middish mountain the Main Street chair accesses some black terrain and often has a (relatively) shorter liftline.

Personally, I've found CB trails to be narrower than Blues, which causes all kinds of problems on busy days.

it's not so much about the infrastructure at blue or cb as it is who skis there. a lot of yahoos that aren't looking where they are going and couldn't give two s@@@ about who they hit along the way. hell, by that metric elk looks peachy! better off going to jf, montage, or elk if you don't like constantly looking over your shoulder trying to avoid being hit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Does anyone do business with the ski shop in Montgomery township Salter's they had a fire. What does that mean if your equipment was in for tune up or other work.

Sponsor