• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting day at Camelback today. "Pocono Pavement" in it's truest form (Frozen solid cord) for most of the morning. They shut both Rocket and Asp each for about a 1/2 hour each to winch cat them. The boy and I were able to hit 1st run on each as they reopened and these are the best runs I have taken this season. Runs were starting to soften a little during the day but 8:30 - 12:30 was all we could take with the limited terrain and holiday traffic.

A little après ski at the East Side Bar with our friend Jackie. Despite the conditions and people had a great day with my son as he takes back off to Colorado tomorrow and I won't get to ski with him again till March when I head out there.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
(Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of warm weather skiing, March/April my favorite months to ski, I know its not for everybody)

Wow! Day 6, the best so far. Drove up this morning not expecting much and got rewarded. Camelback of course got pounded with rain NYE. 2 things helped today, they obviously didn't want to tear up the steeper runs so the did not groom them and a healthy wind was acting as a drying agent so the snow was not too wet. So Asp and Rocket were left to the elements and the elements were about 50 degrees and increasing sunlight and building moguls (especially on Asp). 2 1/2 hour yo-yo session at my winter gym working out in the moguls worked up a great sweat. One of those days I'm glad I made the season pass investment.

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3127.JPG

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
(Disclaimer: I am a huge fan of warm weather skiing, March/April my favorite months to ski, I know its not for everybody)

Wow! Day 6, the best so far. Drove up this morning not expecting much and got rewarded. Camelback of course got pounded with rain NYE. 2 things helped today, they obviously didn't want to tear up the steeper runs so the did not groom them and a healthy wind was acting as a drying agent so the snow was not too wet. So Asp and Rocket were left to the elements and the elements were about 50 degrees and increasing sunlight and building moguls (especially on Asp). 2 1/2 hour yo-yo session at my winter gym working out in the moguls worked up a great sweat. One of those days I'm glad I made the season pass investment.

View attachment 61954

View attachment 61955

What are your thoughts about tomorrow's conditions after the temps drop tonight? No season pass, so I gotta buy a ticket. Trying to figure out whether a trip to the Cats are warranted if everything is a sheet of ice anyway. I'm off, so I'm going someplace.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are your thoughts about tomorrow's conditions after the temps drop tonight? No season pass, so I gotta buy a ticket. Trying to figure out whether a trip to the Cats are warranted if everything is a sheet of ice anyway. I'm off, so I'm going someplace.

Temp goes down, I'm sure they groom. They basically have to as they are mostly in survival mode. There were some brown spots on many trails and a few bare spots too. Everything will be fine as soon as it gets cold again, they just got to make it there. Cats probably a little better off with higher elevation but would imagine everyplace will have a rather "hard" surface.

Yesterday was just one of those lucky "you should have been there" days.

Note: Looking at the web cam it does look like they have some guns running this morning. Every little bit will help

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
This Sunday will be our first foray. I need to stop at The Loft Saturday evening when we roll in and drop off my 13 yo's new skis and bindings (they're not attached). Hopefully they can be ready by morning.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Temp goes down, I'm sure they groom. They basically have to as they are mostly in survival mode. There were some brown spots on many trails and a few bare spots too. Everything will be fine as soon as it gets cold again, they just got to make it there. Cats probably a little better off with higher elevation but would imagine everyplace will have a rather "hard" surface.

Yesterday was just one of those lucky "you should have been there" days.

Note: Looking at the web cam it does look like they have some guns running this morning. Every little bit will help

Chose blue instead since I have some discount tickets. Sad to say that the conditions are worse today than they were a month ago when I was here last.

Those were good early season conditions. Today lots of brown spots and only one more trail open.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
B30840BD-7777-4FFE-AE1D-DCDC04D4E1A7.jpeg
855FBB3E-DED0-464F-A95E-EBA3231A5FBF.jpeg Elk skied better than expected tonight. Delaware was the run of the night, Susquehanna was good also. Got stuck on lift for at least 20-25 min, knew it wasn’t good when the other lift started spinning.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Yakima's back up on the roof of the car, it's got skis in it, and I'm wearing sunglasses. See you Sunday.

(I'll be wearing a dark blue with yellow piping Spyder jacket that the 1990s want back, black helmet, and on silver Stockli SR 88s)

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yakima's back up on the roof of the car, it's got skis in it, and I'm wearing sunglasses. See you Sunday.

(I'll be wearing a dark blue with yellow piping Spyder jacket that the 1990s want back, black helmet, and on silver Stockli SR 88s)

If the temps stay as predicted, we get some wind, could be a lot like New Years Day. I'm sure the bumps are gone though. I'll be up tomorrow but not sure what I'll be wearing yet. Most likely skiing the 2 front 4 that are open(Asp & Rocket) especially if there are any bumps.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier

Looked for you Kitchener but didn't see that description. This is the jacket I was wearing today

IMG_0104.JPG

Mostly on Asp and Rocket today. Not as good as Tuesday but ok, and better then a few days I have skied this year. Looks like snow making to commence again soon and a decent window to open. They need it.

TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
They were blowing snow when we left this evening. We were all over the mtn but hit Asp and Rocket a few times. I’ll keep an eye out for that jacket next time. We’re headed up Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
C8C9D740-6132-46C5-8EE7-EBD817E6BEA3.jpeg
Slalom

Elk skied great tonight!

After all this warm wet weather we’ve had lately, Elk took advantage of last nights cold temps. They pounded Tioga, Susquehanna and Slalom with the guns, they sure did need it.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Headed up Saturday AND Sunday this weekend -- hopefully CBK follows Elk's lead.

I expect the assault to start as soon as the temps drop. Looks like they just resurfaced in that small window Sun-Mon, but expect them to expand with what looks like a real nice window as soon as this warm bubble gets pushed off the coast.

Just want to add that looking at the forecast it looks like they are going to have at least a full week of good full blown snow making. Lets see how close to getting the mountain fully open they get. I was starting to wonder if this would be the first season I have been there that they didn't get to 100%. There is till some significant terrain to cover. The one good thing is Nile Mile which takes a lot of snow making resources is already open. Pocono Raceway (where the deer were grazing the other day as I skied Rodo) is another resource hog but I hope they get it going soon.

Last edited:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This Friday is ELK MTN Winterfest / $30 lift tix. With a total of 3" natural snow all season back in Dec., only three of eleven black runs open and all groomed, plus now that the big kahuna built his darned wall, see-thru fence or whatever the heck he's calling it to secure his borders from ski in ski out tailgaters and thinks he's making us pay for it, Thanks But No Thanks!

Last edited:
TS
kitchener

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
...Lets see how close to getting the mountain fully open they get. ...There is till some significant terrain to cover. The one good thing is Nile Mile which takes a lot of snow making resources is already open. Pocono Raceway (where the deer were grazing the other day as I skied Rodo) is another resource hog but I hope they get it going soon.

I was super surprised Pharoah didn't have a lick of snow on it, given it's the bell cow of their advertising this season. They definitely need a cold spell.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
This Friday is ELK MTN Winterfest / $30 lift tix. With a total of 3" natural snow all season back in Dec., only three of eleven black runs open and all groomed, plus now that the big kahuna built his darned wall, see-thru fence or whatever the heck he's calling it to secure his borders from ski in ski out tailgaters and thinks he's making us pay for it, Thanks But No Thanks!

One of a couple of things I will never understand about that place. Great hill but...

I was super surprised Pharoah didn't have a lick of snow on it, given it's the bell cow of their advertising this season. They definitely need a cold spell.

Bet they put a ton of snow on it this weekend. They have the arsenal and the power, lets see how they use it. Marjies?, Big Pocono/Uncle Bills? Cliffy?? a lot still to cover. Seen them in the past bury the place in a 2 week cold snap, but not sure if this one will be long enough.

In their defense the weather (for snow making) has been putrid. They've done a pretty good job of surviving.

Sponsor

Staff online