• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Elk is a really nice PA mtn.....could be better if they let you in trees....but it is what it is....
Old school. Trees did look nice. Most have these days just gone border to border.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Old school. Trees did look nice. Most have these days just gone border to border.

Maybe in New England. Lots of mid-A resorts that don't let you in trees because they are all snow-making dependent. So it doesn't get consistently deep enough for trees to be safe.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe in New England. Lots of mid-A resorts that don't let you in trees because they are all snow-making dependent. So it doesn't get consistently deep enough for trees to be safe.

I suspect there may be some truth in your thinking, but I assume it’s probably more of a insurance thing more then anything. Being in business for 30 years, it seems to me the insurance companies set the rules anymore.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well, could be true. Do they have any tree trails?
I think, but don't know that a bunch of northeast resorts went to "open boundary to boundary" by agreement with their insurance. Similar to for awhile, to go into the park you had to takea test and get a pass. Now, not. Vail even got rid of "no jumping" signs on rollers or crossing paths that are natural jumps.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Intersections at bottom are wide enough to not be a problem. Elk is a really nice PA mtn.....could be better if they let you in trees....but it is what it is...I go there on my school snow days.
Slow lifts, but an excellent variety of PA black runs. No double blacks, but @James did you notice the one big mogul run? Rarely gets groomed. All the best skiers (and even boarders) can be seen here (but not me).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, Elk has zero tollerance when it comes to skiing trees, it is a shame, there are some really nice trees there. Of all the PA resorts, Elk has some of the longer-consistant steeps. Tunkhannock usually bumped up with nice big round moguls. Uphill capacity is slow but that is by design, to, like MRG control downhill traffic.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I've never agreed with the criticism that the Elk should open tree areas to skiing. The simple truth is that they just do not get enough natural snow to make glade skiing safe. It is common to be riding the main double lifts and seeking trails under the lift closed due to lack of snow where no snowmaking exists. At Blue, they have a glade areas that get filled in with wind driven snowmaking adjacent to runs, and, even when open, those runs are rock ski makers. From a liability and policing standpoint, Elk would just be asking for trouble as trees are an attractive nuisance regardless of ability to ski safely or in safe conditions. Just saying "no" is the correct decision.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never agreed with the criticism that the Elk should open tree areas to skiing. The simple truth is that they just do not get enough natural snow to make glade skiing safe. It is common to be riding the main double lifts and seeking trails under the lift closed due to lack of snow where no snowmaking exists. At Blue, they have a glade areas that get filled in with wind driven snowmaking adjacent to runs, and, even when open, those runs are rock ski makers. From a liability and policing standpoint, Elk would just be asking for trouble as trees are an attractive nuisance regardless of ability to ski safely or in safe conditions. Just saying "no" is the correct decision.

I agree. I never venture in to the woods in PA. Really Plattekill, is the only place south of Albany NY that I would and its not really on my radar anymore.

Blues glades are so short they really aren't anything of significance. I had one day back a couple of years ago where the snow was good enough to ski them and it was a nice little intro into Barneys Bumps but really nothing to write home about.

Having hiked on my home mountain of Camelback I've seen some of the surprises that would await the skier there and will stay on the main slopes thank you very much.

My major complaints with Elk have been the parking, lack of a ticket office down at the west side lifts (thus the Elk Mobile which I detest) and what I consider the out dated lodge. Outside of that great hill but like Plattekill, not on the 4aprice radar anymore as I have said if it ain;t the home bump (CBK) and I'm heading out on the highway its up to Vermont/New Hampshire or down to Liberty International and out to DIA.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Really Plattekill, is the only place south of Albany NY that I would and its not really on my radar anymore.
There are skiable glades south of that many places... Blue Knob, Timberline (when open), Laurel, probably others. But they either get enough natural snow, clear them of hazardous debris, or both.

Other places the trees are littered with logs rocks etc. that you'd need a lot of snow to make safe... I guess Elk is one of them.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Something about the dates August 1st and March 1st. In March (the best month to ski) the conversation on the ski lift turns to boat, beach and warm weather plans. Likewise the conversation in August on the boat and beach turns to skiing and plans start to be a made. Now Philpug is stirring the pot with the possible aquiring of Camelback by KSL. Let the skiing juices start to flow.

IMG_3322.JPG

A little stoke for the home hill.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
If anyone is in need of equipment Blue Mountain PA is having a ski sale.

Sponsor

Staff online