• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Please share your thoughts on Copper Mountain & Winter Park

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Never been to Winter Park. It's certainly getting trashed in this thread.

Much depends on one's preference.

I have 30+ days at WP/MJ and 20+ at Copper.
Copper - more commercialized.
WP/MJ - more laid back. Especially MJ side.
Trees and groomers - better at Copper.
Bumps - Hands down MJ. Some of the best zipperline bumps in NA. Copper bumps - a big MEH.
Snow - feels much better at MJ.

Disclaimer: When at WP/MJ, we usually hang out at the MJ side.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
To be fair, I didn't get the true WP experience there because I had my 10 year old son in tow. I didn't get any time in the eagle wind area... and I really like trees.

It was the runouts that really killed it for me. As a boarder, I took one run on Vasquez and had enough... I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to put a lift there. The skiers in our group hated it too. Some of the other lifts in that area were only marginally better.

As well, most of the groomer runs are quite lacking in vertical, and many aren't that interesting. The Super Bee chair at Copper is more my speed.

For someone that likes moguls though, there are lots of really good runs on the MJ side. I took a few solo runs over there and was beat! Some of the areas between the trees look like they'd be good after a storm... But it was all skied out on my days there.

crazytoaster

Booting up
Skier
For me.

WP/MJ - I go for the trees and not-named runs. There are a lot of hidden stashes. I also usually head there for powder days over Copper. I find it slightly easier to drive to on weekends vs Summit County. Like others have said most runs are shorter with long run-outs. Despite not liking moguls I still have a lot of fun on the MJ side in the trees.

Copper - I find groomers and cruisers to be way better. Super Bee is great to lap for nice long runs. The trees are not as good but I still need to do more exploring myself. I find Copper to be more consistent if that makes any sense. I have never had a bad day at copper but less epic days than WP/MJ.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with everything @KingGrump says, except I prefer the trees at MJ. Can't do a lot better than some of the tree runs there without going south to NM :duck:

I started to write out the tree areas I like, but then realized that was stupid so... you will have to explore on your own. Heck, that's half the fun of it.

I also agree with the runout issue, especially Vasquez Ridge. It would be a nightmare for a snowboarder. I asked once why they did it that way and it had some issue to do with a wetland that they couldn't put a lift on further up. Still, that runout is a PITA. However, that makes that side of the mountain a great secret on a powder day.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumps - Hands down MJ. Some of the best zipperline bumps in NA. Copper bumps - a big MEH.
No doubt MJ bumps are top shelf.

There are lots of bumps at Copper, but most do require an advanced skill set. ;)

There are a couple of good zipperline bump runs at Copper, and some of the best intermediate bump runs anywhere. Beyond those, you need to be able to deal with imperfect moguls, off-kilter fall lines, and various terrain features.

MJ bumps are easier and lots of fun with their often near-perfect lines. Copper's bumps made me a better skier in learning to deal with their imperfections.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are lots of bumps at Copper, but most do require an advanced skill set. ;)

Beyond those, you need to be able to deal with imperfect moguls, off-kilter fall lines, and various terrain features.

MJ bumps are easier and lots of fun with their often near-perfect lines. Copper's bumps made me a better skier in learning to deal with their imperfections.

I am OK with my bump skiing. I ski bumps for fun. Don't need to search out crappy bumps for the challenge and/or improvement.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am OK with my bump skiing. I ski bumps for fun. Don't need to search out crappy bumps for the challenge and/or improvement.
Not crappy, imperfect. Copper's bumps are better than most areas, just not the rarified bumps of MJ.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds like "challenge and improvement" to me. :thumb: :)

Enjoy the journey.
The journey is the destination.
We all have our own journey. I am having a great time with mine. Hope you are having a good one with yours. :beercheer:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With A Basin now on Ikon, perhaps Frisco is a slightly better option?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
One thing I haven't seen mentioned much in this thread -- Copper has far better alpine terrain. It's bowl skiing is much more diverse for all skill levels. The distance between the two this year in that regard will grow even more as the Tucker Mountain lift gets installed.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
With A Basin now on Ikon, perhaps Frisco is a slightly better option?
Not slightly, massively!

So much so it may bump WP into oblivion if under time constraint.

Also, the OP’s desire to not renting a car may be satisfied by taking a shuttle to Frisco and use it as a base. Both Copper and A-basin are on the Summit Stage route (so are majority of motels)

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been to both a couple of times and like many others I prefer Copper. The skiing isn't bad at WP but I've never found an area of the mountain I really loved. Meanwhile I love doing laps on Sierra at Copper Mountain. The base of Copper feels more resort-like but its seemed pretty sleepy. Getting around the village is super easy though and we've always stayed in the Center Village area. WP has pretty good transportation around town from what I recall. The drive to Copper is a lot less stressful which is nice when you are on vacation.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I know this is probably a long shot, but I thought I’d put it out there.

I’m flying through Denver on January 2nd & could take a “long layover” to ski 3 days, Jan 3-5 @ a close Ikon resort (A basin/WP/Copper) I’d be by myself & am looking for a cheap place to stay (hostel, couch). It seems like most cheap places are already booked. I’ve tried Airbnb, VRBO & various travel websites.

I did find the Summit Inn in Frisco to be the cheapest, but they are still $170/night, which is just too much for me to justify spending with the other costs that add up as well (car, rentals, food, etc.) I would split the room if anyone else is planning a trip during the same time.

If you have ideas PM me! Or feel free to tell me I’m crazy. Peace.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
In answer to OP:
• As others have mentioned, WP/MJ is the place to go if you wanna ski bumps. Mary Jane has bumps and mor bumps. Long runs like at Snowmass? No. I did like the snow at WP better on powder days.
• Copper has a larger variety of terrain, IMO. It has some incredibly long blue runs, some steep blues, some with the option of switching to a groomed black or a mogul black run. It also has alpine w bowls.

One thing to pay attention to also is the wind. If it is a windy day, WP/MJ is more exposed and will shut down lifts more so than at Copper. When i had a pass to these two, I'd often skip WP for Copper knowing that large parts of WP would likely be unavailable while Copper would be good to go.

Sponsor

Staff online