• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
However, I don’t lace my liners because I leave them in the boot. If I put the liner on and lace it up, I can’t Get my foot into the boot, .
!

Would you be willing to work on this issue, maybe using the milk jug/Tyvek shoehorn trick, or the half-in-half out liner trick, for example?

Zipfit users with *much* wider feet than yours use these tricks to be able to get their fully laced liners into the boot. And yes, quite a few of them have ginormous instep dimensions.

I ask mostly to help you with that no-footrest increased pressure pain.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Numbness means something is being compressed. I'd be concerned about long-term implications. @Pat AKA mustski, I know you said you almost don't care about the numbness, but for other readers, this could be a deciding factor in whether they continue to ski.

When I think of compression, I think of corn pads ... build up the area around the spot to relieve pressure on the affected area. If the affected area ran the length of the top of my foot, I would build up the two sides to create a channel for the affected nerve or vein. The biggest challenge may be figuring out exactly what the affected area is.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been using these for years in lace up liners. No need to take them out of the shell.

https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Laces-E..._1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=V9YYSW1MZSYD8Z7ZZK6V

The Zipfits come with a 'speedlace' system anyway - (non elastic) laces pulled snugly then you lock them, arrange the laces and locking doo-dad and hold them in place with the Zipfit 'booster' type strap (which also makes the boot shell booster strap pretty much irrelevant it seems to me).

And taking your whole laced up foot out means no pinch point pain from the shell overlap (Lange users in particular will appreciate this I reckon), plus then any moisture in the shell can dry out overnight while you use a hot air boot dryer in the liner - especially in the morning to get the omfit goop nice and warm so the fit and hold is great from the start... and you can easily do a 'heel' sweep to get that omfit up and around your ankle before lacing up.

Anyway, hopefully Pat gets some relief - if you can still get those laces done up with the liner in, then don't buckle up tight when you don't need to - worth a good try.

Hunter

Booting up
Skier
AF1QipNRO2Pf2EmUW3nT9B2oZ-IrLX_cn80CyNVu0F-6=s512-p-qv=pospaia6456f2rqjl0bq0p23dj7fov8mf,m=39d3cc0ee54cb5aa4ac975833a47c7b0,x=,t=25-iv4795
Yes,Really

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I put both boots on unbuckled and then jump up and down to get my feet seated. Then tighten the top two pretty tightly, tighten the bottom two, back to the top, then bottom again if loose. Usually after a few runs I tighten them up some more.

Without going ocd I prefer both boots to be equal tightness but hardly ever get them perfect.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you tried different socks just for kicks and grins? Also, micro-adjusting the instep buckle one twist looser, then another twist looser?
I am wear the ultra thin socks that I wore for the boot doc foaming. Anything else is too thick. I am playing with buckles right now, hence my questions here.

You mean go fast?
Numb feet is not a good thing.
No. I mean ski steep terrain and bumps without worrying about slop in my left boot. Ski for pure pleasure without compensating on every right turn for heel and ankle movement. I used to have to be really OCD about loosening and tightening buckles according to the type of terrain. I had to do that to avoid causing numb feet by over tightening the ankle buckle in my Kryzmas. I don't want numb feet and plan to return to my boot fitter (ie; travel to Reno) in April. I just want to make sure that I am not causing it by over or under buckling. My biggest concern is that the pressure point on the instep is worse when the instep buckle is completely open and my foot dangles on the chairlift.

Would you be willing to work on this issue, maybe using the milk jug/Tyvek shoehorn trick, or the half-in-half out liner trick, for example?

Zipfit users with *much* wider feet than yours use these tricks to be able to get their fully laced liners into the boot. And yes, quite a few of them have ginormous instep dimensions.

I ask mostly to help you with that no-footrest increased pressure pain.

I would be willing to try anything. I will google those and see what they are! The hardest spot to get past is the instep of the boot. Even with the liners in, and the boots warm, I have to really pull up and to the outside of the boot with the tongue to get my forfeoot to slide under and into the boot. I've never been able to put boots on sitting down. I have to stand up and use leverage. Fortunately, I am really flexible so it is easy enough to put them on standing up.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
hey Pat , couldn't hurt to stop by Goldsmith's and talk to Dallas or Jim

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I used to get pain on my instep when dangling my feet from the chair. Bootfitter cut a piece of the hard plastic tongue on both liners and I don't have this problem anymore. Each one has a triangle of plastic missing, probably 2" per side equilateral?

Two buckles on the cuff get snug in the morning. After a run or two, I go one more notch - as tight as I can make them. Basically takes some time for the boot to push fluid out of my lower leg... Buckles on the foot are just finger tight. Sometimes they open up and I don't notice it until end of the day.

As others have said, I put the boots on in the morning and really lean forward/stretch to seat the heel firmly in the back of the boot.

My feet feel great all day as long as I don't get too hot. If I get hot, my feet swell and I have lots of pain. This limits time inside for lunch or in the bar after skiing... need to get those boots off an hour or two after last run or my feet start to swell/hurt.

Edit to add - my liners are stock that came with the boot. 2014ish Lange SX120.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The hardest spot to get past is the instep of the boot. Even with the liners in, and the boots warm, I have to really pull up and to the outside of the boot with the tongue to get my forfeoot to slide under and into the boot.
When pulling the tongue are you pulling it towards the other foot or away? Pulling towards the other foot should give more clearance than away.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I can’t speak for what’s “right” or what will help with anyone else’s fitting challenges, but this is what I have found to be the most effective and comfortable for me.

I have lace-up Intuition Liners (FX Race). I take those out of the shell, put them on my feet, get them cinched with the pull-string laces, then slip into the shells. This is much easier if the shells are warmed. I use Noodler’s method of pulling up on the back of the liners, actually I half-way pull my foot-with-liner out of the shell and then settle back into the heel pocket, usually 3 times doing this. Then I pull up on the tongue of the liner a bit, to get the top of the liner tongue higher against my shin, as that’s the first point of leverage, and if it has slipped down a bit I can feel it digging into my lower shin at the end of the day.

Then, I tighten my Booster strap, basically as snug as I can make it without straining too hard. The top buckle is then buckled to the first notch, then the same on the second (ankle) buckle, then the top buckle may get tightened to the second notch. If I’m working with beginner skiers I leave it looser to demonstrate flexing the ankle more obvious. lastly the the two lower buckles get closed on the first notches.

That’s it. I can leave it alone, all day.

I am grateful that I found a shell fit that’s pretty close, and didn’t take too many bootfitting sessions to get things punched/molded into shape.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
1. Buckle boot to get the performance you like.

2. Ski until numbness just BARELY makes itself known.

3. Pull boot and sock off quickly and see if some red spots are present that might be the source of your problem. Put a dot on them with a Sharpie.

4. See good bootfitter.

Don't screw around too long with numb feet!!!

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
It diesn’t. I get more clearance when I pull it away.
The idea is that it pulling the tongue towards the other foot moves the top overlap and then you use your thumb to move the lower overlap out of the way. Can still be a battle to the death though. As a moderately high instep person, I am very pleased with my new Fischers in this regard, they really have done a very good job at making stiffer flex boots easier to put on and take off even in frigid weather.

Be very careful with instep pressure, it can really stress the whole foot. A number of us gave ourselves chronic foot problems by tolerating excessive instep pressure. Agree with everyone saying you need to find someone who can address that for you.

Sponsor

Staff online