• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Please point me in the right direction - Ski Recommendation

Wayne Peloquin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi All,

New forum member here. I could use some advise on a ski choice. I am an intermediate skier, 45yo, 6ft tall, 235lbs. I ski mostly Minnesota which tends to be hard pack and ice with some occasional fluff days. I am a pretty casual lazy skier. What are some ski choices I should look at for an all day comfortable ride? Also should I stress over a 82mm waist vrs an 86mm?

Top of my list are:
1. Elan Wingman 82 TI
https://elanskis.com/us_en/mens-skis/all-mountain/wingman-82-ti-power-shift

2. K2 Mindbender 85
https://k2snow.com/en-us/p/mindbender-85-skis

3. Atomic Advantage (82ti or 86)
https://shop.atomic.com/en-us/products/vantage-82-ti-ft-12-gw-aa4168.html

I tried Ikonic 85ti on hard pact and the tips tended to wiggle to much in the straights. Everything else was great.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome, quite a few Midwesterner here too.

The Ikonics need good forward pressure on hard packed snow. I have a pair too. Though not my first choice I pick a ski here.

I wouldn't worry about 82-86.

I don't know much about the about skis, but my gut says the K2 would be really nice.

Edit: I did ski the Vantage 86 last year and really liked it. (short memory, forgot I did). I"m 5'11' and 215lbs. First time on these redesigned Atomic skis.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Hi All,

New forum member here. I could use some advise on a ski choice. I am an intermediate skier, 45yo, 6ft tall, 235lbs. I ski mostly Minnesota which tends to be hard pack and ice with some occasional fluff days. I am a pretty casual lazy skier. What are some ski choices I should look at for an all day comfortable ride? Also should I stress over a 82mm waist vrs an 86mm?

I'd sweat it, find something in the 76 to 82mm range with a layer or two of metal. At your weight look at the 175/180CM length range.

The elan wingman looks cool, the Head V Shape V8 would be fitting as well. The iKonic 80 ti would be ore fitting than the 85.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Wingman. The Amphibio design will encourage you to make pretty, round turns while still allowing you to be “lazy.” Might have better grip than the Mindbender, but others can chime in on that.

I do think 82 is better than 86 for you. The Wingman CTI , versus TI, would be a little stronger ski, but still good for you. I think a better binding on that one. @trailtrimmer , the system binding on the Wingman TI has a DIN up to 11. Is that an issue for the OP’s size?

Liberty V76 or V82 is also another choice that you might not want to overlook.

Last edited:

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would be worried that they are too short.

but I thought they skied long.....and the OP is an intermediate skier. I’ve read on here that the 181 or whatever the next length is, is a handful.

I am 5’10” and I’d want the shorter 167 in that ski, I think.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The 175 is perfect for.me at 5'10, 200 to 210 pounds. (I'm the one who thought the 18x was too long.) I also skied the 167 and thought it was a great bump ski at that length.

175 probably is the right size for the OP, even though he is bigger. The boot sole length they are mounted for may not work for him though.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
The OP also said he was a casual, lazy skier. With that as the goal, 175 should be fine. If he was an ex racer looking to rail turns all day long, then sizing up would likely be called for.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I'm 6' 250#'s and my carvers are 177. Perfect length for what you're looking for. And if you did want to push it in the future the ski will accommodate nicely!

Sponsor

Staff online