• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hydarnes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all, I'm a new member looking forward to getting sucked down the rabbit hole. Would really appreciate your advice!

I've recently gotten back into skiing and find myself in love. As I'll be moving to the west coast (Vancouver) in a few months, I think it's high time I replace the old atomic nomad smokes I learned on with something more fun.

My stats: 6'1, 155lbs, Intermediate climbing the ladder.

I like pretending I'm a professional slalom racer just as much as I like hopping off drops/bumps around the ski hill, I guess this means I'm looking for something playful but capable of holding it's own when it comes to carving. I almost exclusively on piste for now but I'm open to trying new things, especially once I move out west.

My search has led me to zero in on two skis, the DPS Alchemist Cassiar 94 C2 and the DPS Alchemist Cassiar 87. In fact, I probably would have ordered one already if the other didn't exist and make me question which width was better.

Can anyone provide any input on which may be better for my needs? I'm open to other recommendations as well, but I don't mind paying the higher price for DPS if I think they're the best choice, plus red is my favourite colour and nobody but DPS makes non-race skis in red apparently >:[
Both come in 178 and 185/184, Would also appreciate advice as to which would be more suitable for my height.

Thanks so much in advance!

Edit: At this point, I've concluded that the 94 is probably the best choice, now I'm just stuck in analysis paralysis between 178 and 185 length.

Last edited:

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
At your weight, 185 is pushing it, 178 will be more manageable and less tiring.

What are you skiing now?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Currently on the same skies I learned on, 174 length Atomic Nomad Smokes. You can see why I'm itching for an upgrade hah
Have you demo'ed any other skis? Anything you liked or didn't?

(FWIW, my first skis were Atomic Nomad Blackeye's... and I have the DPS Cassiar Foundation 87s... the DPS is a fine choice, but I don't think I like them as much as my Atomic Vantage's, for instance. And I've demo'ed a bunch of skis to see what I like and don't like.)

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Not sure what next years lineup looks like but the head kore 93 might be worth a look. It’s lightweight but still somewhat substantial for exploring off piste. The 180 has a pretty short radius for easy carving. My buddies shop sold a ton of them to happy customers and it’s been pretty highly reviewed by the testing team here

likely worth a demo

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
Have you demo'ed any other skis? Anything you liked or didn't?

(FWIW, my first skis were Atomic Nomad Blackeye's... and I have the DPS Cassiar Foundation 87s... the DPS is a fine choice, but I don't think I like them as much as my Atomic Vantage's, for instance. And I've demo'ed a bunch of skis to see what I like and don't like.)

Literally nothing, I'm going in blind (just reviews/videos/things I collect on the internet) for all intents and purposes. Was hoping to get new skis before I go on a multi-day trip to whistler on the 20th, I have been known to jump the gun when I get excited though.

From what I've read, the atomics seem to be more stiff than what I like. The word "playful" draws me pretty strongly.

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
Not sure what next years lineup looks like but the head kore 93 might be worth a look. It’s lightweight but still somewhat substantial for exploring off piste. The 180 has a pretty short radius for easy carving. My buddies shop sold a ton of them to happy customers and it’s been pretty highly reviewed by the testing team here

likely worth a demo

Damn I wasn't really considering other skis but reading about these has me extremely interested. Thanks!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Literally nothing, I'm going in blind (just reviews/videos/things I collect on the internet) for all intents and purposes. Was hoping to get new skis before I go on a multi-day trip to whistler on the 20th, I have been known to jump the gun when I get excited though.

From what I've read, the atomics seem to be more stiff than what I like. The word "playful" draws me pretty strongly.
Yes, the Atomics are stiffer than the DPS. You could try demo'ing at Whistler, though the on-mountain demo rentals are pretty pricey (like $60+/day). But it would let you try a bunch of different skis.

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
Yes, the Atomics are stiffer than the DPS. You could try demo'ing at Whistler, though the on-mountain demo rentals are pretty pricey (like $60+/day). But it would let you try a bunch of different skis.

Might have to take your advice on this, probably best to test skies myself instead of banking on what I read on the internet. But ouch, I think I've rented cars for less $ than what I'm seeing at whistler :roflmao:

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Might have to take your advice on this, probably best to test skies myself instead of banking on what I read on the internet. But ouch, I think I've rented cars for less $ than what I'm seeing at whistler :roflmao:

It has been a couple of years but I seem to remember there being a free demo center mid-mountain on the Blackcomb side (maybe there's one on the Whistler side too).

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to say, I have tried the DPS Cassiar 87 in both Alchemist and Foundation, I think I only tried the Cassiar 94 in Foundation. I would happily ski any of them. What I noticed about the Alchemist is you barely even feel them underfoot, they are lighter, and a bit more intuitive, less movement required to make them respond. The Foundation might be a bit more damp, though not by much.

For carving, the 87’s totally rock, very smooth. The 94 has a slightly different profile with a touch more tip rise, and generally better for off-piste, and maybe better as an all-mountain one quiver ski. Not as quick or responsive at the 87. For bumps I’d rather be on the 87. I would consider the 87 or 82 as a teaching ski.

The 178 for sure is the right length for you.

And since you’re already sold on DPS, stop looking for anything else. Ignore all the other recommendations you’ve received, or will receive, and just order the damn things already.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Go to a shop at Whistler that carries DPS and tell them you want to demo-to-buy; they should offer you two or three days of demoing with the cost deducted from your purchase.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Go to a shop at Whistler that carries DPS and tell them you want to demo-to-buy; they should offer you two or three days of demoing with the cost deducted from your purchase.
Good thought.... might be a good middle ground if DPS can be demo'ed from a Whistler shop.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
My stats: 6'1, 155lbs, Intermediate climbing the ladder.

I like pretending I'm a professional slalom racer just as much as I like hopping off drops/bumps around the ski hill, I guess this means I'm looking for something playful but capable of holding it's own when it comes to carving. I almost exclusively on piste for now but I'm open to trying new things, especially once I move out west.

As an intermediate, almost exclusive on piste, improving skier, you need to carefully consider what your immediate and long term goals are as well as how much time you will actually spend skiing. If your goal is to become a much better skier, then a narrower ski, something under 85 under foot, will reward your learning movement patterns that will be efficient and obtain performance from the ski. Skis wider than 85mm reward learning to push the ski to an edge, which results in a fore/aft position that is often in the back seat. And if you are spending almost all of your time on the groomers, then a ski wider than 85 mm places a lot of load on your knee with the result that you may have substantial knee pain, let alone deterioration in the joint itself.

On the other hand, if you are intending to move to skiing mainly off piste, then a slightly wider ski will make it easier to avoid catching the inside edge when you engage in pushing the ski to an edge. But this will reinforce movement patterns that will ultimately be dead ends to becoming an expert skier.

So, are you willing to engage in deferred gratification?

Mike

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
As an intermediate, almost exclusive on piste, improving skier, you need to carefully consider what your immediate and long term goals are as well as how much time you will actually spend skiing. If your goal is to become a much better skier, then a narrower ski, something under 85 under foot, will reward your learning movement patterns that will be efficient and obtain performance from the ski. Skis wider than 85mm reward learning to push the ski to an edge, which results in a fore/aft position that is often in the back seat. And if you are spending almost all of your time on the groomers, then a ski wider than 85 mm places a lot of load on your knee with the result that you may have substantial knee pain, let alone deterioration in the joint itself.

On the other hand, if you are intending to move to skiing mainly off piste, then a slightly wider ski will make it easier to avoid catching the inside edge when you engage in pushing the ski to an edge. But this will reinforce movement patterns that will ultimately be dead ends to becoming an expert skier.

Mike
THIS. There's a reason I went to the new Enforcer 88 for my DD - all that ^^^. I did just get the new 104 as well but for soft/off piste conditions to replace a couple years old 100. My knees are thanking me for the 88s.

You too should have a 85 +/- ish DD and then a soft/off piste ski - why not get 2? :)

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
I have to say, I have tried the DPS Cassiar 87 in both Alchemist and Foundation, I think I only tried the Cassiar 94 in Foundation. I would happily ski any of them. What I noticed about the Alchemist is you barely even feel them underfoot, they are lighter, and a bit more intuitive, less movement required to make them respond. The Foundation might be a bit more damp, though not by much.

For carving, the 87’s totally rock, very smooth. The 94 has a slightly different profile with a touch more tip rise, and generally better for off-piste, and maybe better as an all-mountain one quiver ski. Not as quick or responsive at the 87. For bumps I’d rather be on the 87. I would consider the 87 or 82 as a teaching ski.

The 178 for sure is the right length for you.

And since you’re already sold on DPS, stop looking for anything else. Ignore all the other recommendations you’ve received, or will receive, and just order the damn things already.

I may have said I'm sold on the DPS but at the end of the day I don't know shit and want to make a decision I don't end up regretting. Thanks for the info regarding length/the ski characteristics, maybe I'm looking a little too wide width wise? I've ended up booking demos at whistler so hopefully I get a good grasp soon.

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
Not sure why I thought the main resort demo place was the only one, turns out there is a store that offers DPS demos. I'll be booking demos for all the days I'm there, thanks for pointing me in that direction!

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier

Mike

Thanks for the in depth response. I think I'm just confused at this point as the internet at large has made it seem like <90 width skis for someone living out west is a terrible idea. I'd much rather be on skis that are conducive to proper technical growth (and I'm a big fan of my knees not hurting every time I move). Are there any skis in particular you'd recommend I look at to demo?

TS
H

Hydarnes

Skier
THIS. There's a reason I went to the new Enforcer 88 for my DD - all that ^^^. I did just get the new 104 as well but for soft/off piste conditions to replace a couple years old 100. My knees are thanking me for the 88s.

You too should have a 85 +/- ish DD and then a soft/off piste ski - why not get 2? :)

This 85+/- thing is new to me, the internet makes it seem like 90+ is key if you live out west. Maybe 2 is a good idea and I should scale back width and search for a dd for now...