• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Please help me learn from the video

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah most fitters are not good at alignment, and you typically have to seek it out yourself.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
yeah most fitters are not good at alignment, and you typically have to seek it out yourself.

But good boot fitters are. It is a process though.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Some short turns. Still not all problems addressed, but more of a flex release (no extension), less skid, watching the inner foot/edge for edging, etc. This is Steamboat, so the snow is easy. The old slalom skis with alpine binding are super forgiving. It took a little adjustment, but I like it. There are less fatigue (I did 89 miles worth of blue-black groomers in two days according to Strava).

Some longer turns on an easy blue:

P.S. Speaking of alignment (canting). My boots are a bit tight, keeping foot horizontal has been a bit difficult. I noticed that when boot liners later in the day get wet and compress, the foot position gets better and it is easier to control skis and keep foot flat. Seeing a bootfitter today.

That's a rather different look to your skiing.

Be interested to see what happens if you practiced even wider turns on gentle terrain with a less frantic rhythm and did up and over it drills to get balanced on that outside ski. Learn on the green, test on the mean.

And I have to ask - how many runs per day can you keep skiing that constantly flexed, low style? I'd be surprised if your thighes aren't burning by morning coffee.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Here's what @geepers ^ is talking about... from the end of that second video:
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.17.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 10.17.27 PM.png

TS
asolo

asolo

Booting up
Skier
That's a rather different look to your skiing.

Be interested to see what happens if you practiced even wider turns on gentle terrain with a less frantic rhythm and did up and over it drills to get balanced on that outside ski. Learn on the green, test on the mean.

And I have to ask - how many runs per day can you keep skiing that constantly flexed, low style? I'd be surprised if your thighes aren't burning by morning coffee.

Wider turns:

After watching a bunch of videos of all sorts and thinking about it, I think what I really have to work on is earlier and quicker transition and getting forward earlier.

As far as getting tired, it depends on conditions and terrain, but most of the time I can ski all day.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Your left turns look different from your right turns. I'm seeing rooster tails earlier in the right turns. Does that tell you anything? And look at your tracks, though they're only really visible for your last two turns.

Can you post video of some turns that develop even more, end with you more perpindicular to the slope?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online